Rams supporting players

With all this talk about Ben Osborn, it got me thinking about other players in the world of football who are (or were brought up as) Derby supporters. We're had threads in the past discussing celebrity supporters but I don't recall anything similar for players. Past and present are fine, as is whether they've ever played for us or not.

What Ben Osborn talk is that?

Also think it’s very rare players are “supporters” of clubs as football is their job.

Unless you’re lucky enough to be a one club player like Gary Neville where the club match’s your ability and it’s the perfect relationship, being a supporter in the traditional sense is impossible really.

Take your Harry Kane for example, how many Arsenal supporters would score against them for Spurs and celebrate? 

I’m sure you will have players that have soft spots for us, look out for results but that’s as far as it will go.

5 minutes ago, Day said:

What Ben Osborn talk is that?

Also think it’s very rare players are “supporters” of clubs as football is their job.

Unless you’re lucky enough to be a one club player like Gary Neville where the club match’s your ability and it’s the perfect relationship, being a supporter in the traditional sense is impossible really.

Take your Harry Kane for example, how many Arsenal supporters would score against them for Spurs and celebrate? 

I’m sure you will have players that have soft spots for us, look out for results but that’s as far as it will go.

You missed the bit in brackets about being brought up as. They weren’t born professional players. 

44 minutes ago, DerbyPride said:

With all this talk about Ben Osborn, it got me thinking about other players in the world of football who are (or were brought up as) Derby supporters. We're had threads in the past discussing celebrity supporters but I don't recall anything similar for players. Past and present are fine, as is whether they've ever played for us or not.

Louie Sibley 

My dream as a teenager was to be the best footballer in the world, win everything with a big English club, have everyone speculate where I'll go next, like Real Madrid or AC Milan, and shock the world by publically announcing my love for Derby and signing for us at the height of my fame and talent for a fraction of the money I could have made, and have this city love me!

It's a strange dream but that was what did it for me!

24 minutes ago, Sweetness34 said:

My dream as a teenager was to be the best footballer in the world, win everything with a big English club, have everyone speculate where I'll go next, like Real Madrid or AC Milan, and shock the world by publically announcing my love for Derby and signing for us at the height of my fame and talent for a fraction of the money I could have made, and have this city love me!

It's a strange dream but that was what did it for me!

How did that work out for you Killian?

Steve Powell and his Dad, Tommy, most definitely were, but I guess if a player grew up in and around Derby and never played anywhere, they probably stayed a Derby supporter all their lives.

The nice thing is how many ex-players who weren't Derby fans growing up were sending good luck and congratulatory messages after promotion, and many through our financial troubles too.

25 minutes ago, Crewton said:

Steve Powell and his Dad, Tommy, most definitely were, but I guess if a player grew up in and around Derby and never played anywhere, they probably stayed a Derby supporter all their lives.

The nice thing is how many ex-players who weren't Derby fans growing up were sending good luck and congratulatory messages after promotion, and many through our financial troubles too.

Yes, there's a lot more ex-players who retain a soft spot for Derby than childhood fans who go on to play for Derby (or other clubs).

Some of the European players. And others I suppose others too. Those who had their best times at Derby. Or even if it was their swansong at Derby. Eranio for instance. The last one of that group I would say would be Matez Vydra who had his best times at our club. Mart Poom who I thought would succeed Schmeichel at that little club up the A6. He's got to be Derby. I remember seeing a game - Estonia v Scotland. Poom picks up up a towel from the back of his net. And its a Derby towel. Maybe reading too much into this, maybe the Estonian FA couldn't provide towels, maybe I'm being patronising. But I was at Old Trafford that day when he and Wanchope made their debuts. Thinking blimey we've done well here with these 2.

On 30/05/2024 at 14:28, Crewton said:

Omari Kellymann is still a big fan, though that might naturally fade as his career develops. He's one who I'd love to see hit the top, because he agreed to the move to Villa only to help the club out.

Not heard that about Kellymann. Did we get a decent price for him them? Though presumably nothing would compensate for losing out on him.

Another name I thought is a Ram is Jamaal Lascelles.

46 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Not heard that about Kellymann. Did we get a decent price for him them? Though presumably nothing would compensate for losing out on him.

Another name I thought is a Ram is Jamaal Lascelles.

He was pushed out the door for 600k, or half a Quantuma hotel bill as it's better known.