Generational Characteristics

5 hours ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Because I think some of the observations they make are accurate, though they tend to bleed into lazy stereotypes.

Gen Z does generally have a very different attitude to work and 9-5s than any other generation before it. I just don't think that can be disputed. The problem is when it becomes "Gen Z are lazy and don't want to work".

Being accurate doesn’t necessarily make them useful. Plus, as you say, they do tend to bleed into lazy stereotyping and the degree of generalising makes them potentially useless rather than useful. I would hope that no sane person (that criteria doesn’t necessarily eliminate a great deal of people 😀) is going to prejudge an individual or treat them a certain way purely based on the generation they were born in.

10 minutes ago, Brammie Steve said:

"I'm a Baby Boomer born in 1950 and I am as sane as the next man!"

"Little does he know, I'm the next Man!"

Got to love the Goons. Born the same year and often run listening to The Goons & Navy Lark etc. Can be sometimes seen running the trails laughing to myself.

18 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

As for the labels themselves (yes, that's all they are), I feel like Gen Z can be deal less jaundiced in their appraisals of younger generations, perhaps because they are better able to acknowledge their mistakes, of which there have been many and also perhaps, because it's their kids that are so often targeted by others. To me, it's just another utterly pointless divide that we've created for ourselves in a world that is all the while crying out for greater sense and sensibility.

1 hour ago, ariotofmyown said:

Still no one talks about Gen X

Ah, I used the wrong 'label'. Where I used Gen Z I meant my own generation's mistakes were plentiful. I think the whole millennial thing came about as a mildly pejorative term, whereby some old people could tut and moan about folk younger than them. Now millennials appear to do the same about Gen Z. Needless IMO.

2 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The correct spelling of generalization is obviously with the z. As someone who was an Oxford University Press publisher for over a decade, I can assure you all of that.

From the Oxford dictionary you wrote:

/ˌdʒenrələˈzeɪʃn/ (British English also generalisation) [countable, uncountable] a general statement that is based on only a few facts or examples; the act of making such statements. a speech full of broad/sweeping generalizations.

The posts made that triggered your need to dunk on people's education are clearly tongue in cheek anyway and anyone with a grasp of the English language would have deduced this without the need for an explanation.

I don't make claims about the expert nature of my understanding, but I'm pretty sure that the word 'generalisation' actually derives from Anglo Saxon times in any case. 

8 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

billy-idol-flesh-for-fantasy.gif

I'm not sure everyone realises (yes, realises) that Billy Idol's band name was the inspiration for the 1991 Douglas Coupland novel that effectively change of the American Social Category X to Generation X. In many ways, it was Coupland (b.1961) who defined Generation X. He thought his generation was wrongly being categorized as Boomers. I've never read the book, but my ex-BiL (b.1959) was obsessed with it and farted on endlessly about it.

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

I'm not sure everyone realises (yes, realises) that Billy Idol's band name was the inspiration for the 1991 Douglas Coupland novel that effectively change of the American Social Category X to Generation X. In many ways, it was Coupland (b.1961) who defined Generation X. He thought his generation was wrongly being categorized as Boomers. I've never read the book, but my ex-BiL (b.1959) was obsessed with it and farted on endlessly about it.

It's interesting first book, but plenty better Coupland ones

13 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It's interesting first book, but plenty better Coupland ones

I don't know much about him, I just remember this book being talked about at length by the wife's brother, as if it defined his life rather than the fact he was a psychopath (not the serial killer kind). It was the first time I'd heard 'Generation X' mentioned.

21 hours ago, Crewton said:

I don't know much about him, I just remember this book being talked about at length by the wife's brother, as if it defined his life rather than the fact he was a psychopath (not the serial killer kind). It was the first time I'd heard 'Generation X' mentioned.

Was he using it as justification as to why he was a slacker and had no ambition? I'm struggling to think of any psychopathic links.

2 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

Was he using it as justification as to why he was a slacker and had no ambition? I'm struggling to think of any psychopathic links.

I can't remember too clearly, but I think it was more that he felt it was proof of what he wasn't (a Boomer) rather than what he was, which may have tallied with some of the characteristics of Generation X as described in the book. He wasn't a slacker as such I don't think, or unambitious, but for a long time he drifted from career to career. But he displayed all of the accepted characteristics of a psychopath from an early age (according to his sisters) and all through the years that I interacted with him. Hope that explains it a bit better - if I'd actually read the book, I might have understood the connection a bit more!

• 1 month later...

We live in a different world now.

I was having a conversation with some fellow late 30 year olds the other day and we were discussing social interactions, and how when we were younger, we used to play cards as opposed to all the online video games you see today.

And one pointed out that we could be the last generation to play cards. 

I don’t know why, but it made me sad thinking about it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2024 at 05:52, Bris Vegas said:

We live in a different world now.

I was having a conversation with some fellow late 30 year olds the other day and we were discussing social interactions, and how when we were younger, we used to play cards as opposed to all the online video games you see today.

And one pointed out that we could be the last generation to play cards. 

I don’t know why, but it made me sad thinking about it. 

Nah. Purely anecdotal, but board games are seeing a resurgence, and I still play card games with my girlfriend's youngest sisters who are in their early 20s.

9 minutes ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Nah. Purely anecdotal, but board games are seeing a resurgence, and I still play card games with my girlfriend's youngest sisters who are in their early 20s.

Yeah we still play cards and board games regularly with our kids