Transfer rumours

10 minutes ago, Eddie said:

I think that Delap left a year or so before the brown stuff hit the spinning blades.

He did but we had a sell on.  Never confirmed the actual amount that I know of.  My assumption would be, that like Gordon, we cashed in that sell on for an agreed 500 k fee up front when the barrel had really run dry in the January.  I was pretty sure I'd read this was the case but can't find anything concrete to back up my memory.  It would be odd to not tap up this easy source of income for running costs however, when there was no money and 3 million or so to find to keep things going.  Hopefully I'm wrong. 

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He did but we had a sell on.  Never confirmed the actual amount that I know of.  My assumption would be, that like Gordon, we cashed in that sell on for an agreed 500 k fee up front when the barrel had really run dry in the January.  I was pretty sure I'd read this was the case but can't find anything concrete to back up my memory.  It would be odd to not tap up this easy source of income for running costs however, when there was no money and 3 million or so to find to keep things going.  Hopefully I'm wrong. 

We only cashed in the Gordon sell-on fee.  This debate was had about Kellyman too, which David Clowes confirmed we do get a fee.  I think it’s around 15% from the figures quoted so I’d have thought the Delap one would be similar.

2 hours ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

We only cashed in the Gordon sell-amon fee.  This debate was had about Kellyman too, which David Clowes confirmed we do get a fee.  I think it’s around 15% from the figures quoted so I’d have thought the Delap one would be similar.

At the time, selling the fee for Kaide Gordon was a bit of a sickener, but when you see he has played 3 games of football since breaking into the team 3 years ago, we may have done the right thing.

23 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

At the time, selling the fee for Kaide Gordon was a bit of a sickener, but when you see he has played 3 games of football since breaking into the team 3 years ago, we may have done the right thing.

I guess that he's very likely to go out on loan this season, as he's 20 in October. It will be very interesting to see where he lands. 

I know his brother recently won our scholar (or academy) player of the year. I have no idea what level he's at currently, perhaps he may need to drop to League One, but he did start for England in their last U20 game. 

I think we are likely to dip into the loan market for a young winger, perhaps the stars align but I'm sure Warne will have a number of targets. He's been chasing Bobby Clarke like a dog with a bone for a long while now, albeit it seems he's got offers from much higher places. 

46 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

He missed nearly a full season with injury I believe. 

20 hours ago, Ram1988 said:

I think he will and can play a big role for us in different games/ points of a game (and won't always start)!. I can see why you are reluctant as he always has the odd mistake in him, but then football is a game of opinions....

No pace left even if he had any ever, BUT Last 5/10 mins in either box, he’s more than useful. 

I thought he was one of the 2 we were meant to have signed last Thurs/Fri? The 2 that had already had medicals?

If he’s in for a medical today as per the latest reports, who were those 2?

Ultimately we know nothing as a statement of fact until the club announce it. I wouldn't get your hopes up that we've got some secret signing nobody has thought of coming in.

I find the rumor mill entertaining but you've got to take it all with a pinch of salt until there is something official confirmed by the club.

Dutch press are saying that AZ have pulled the plug on contract negotiations with Matt Ryan. They, apparently, made a few offers and he turned them all down. AZ are in European action again this season so he will have been on a, by Dutch standards, a good deal. Might this price DCFC out of the equation? 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Dutch press are saying that AZ have pulled the plug on contract negotiations with Matt Ryan. They, apparently, made a few offers and he turned them all down. AZ are in European action again this season so he will have been on a, by Dutch standards, a good deal. Might this price DCFC out of the equation? 

It may be that he was looking for reassurance as to playing time? He'd be coming in as (arguably) no1, perhaps he's forsaking a few extra pennies for that guarantee?

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/derby-county-set-to-sign-australian-international/

Ryan was reported to be earning €13,846 (just under £12,000) per week last season by Capology.

Edited by Animal is a Ram

2 hours ago, jono said:

No pace left even if he had any ever, BUT Last 5/10 mins in either box, he’s more than useful. 

Bradley had a torrid time of it after playing on his nerves a bit early on and dropping a few bricks, thereby incurring the prolonged wrath of a fanbase who'd hailed him as the marquee signing. Brought back into the fold late season and played the full 90 in 11 of the last 12 games he played in, scoring 3 and at the heart of a defense that conceded only 6 goals in a dozen games and finished the year as the meanest defence in the EFL, yet in-house experts still label him terrible. No arguments that he's limited and his best years are behind him, but some folk just have to stick with their early assessments and can't ever give a player an even break once they've called them out. If just the final 3rd of the season and the promotion that ensued don't earn him any good faith in some quarters, then alas, nothing will. 

For me, the real quandary is was even his best form for L1 Derby last year, sufficiently good a Championship Derby a year on? Most often not, would be my thinking, but there are some very direct teams outside of L1 & 2, he'll be good cover in cup ties and if we're going into the last 15 of a game under siege bombardment, there's worse options by a long chalk. I also think he'd be of significant use in training.

I suspect this will have been a key focus area for Warne and all the recruitment team, as Warne, rightly IMO, favours building a strong spine to his team. I think we'll likely see a young CB come in, but if I were Sonny, I'd be more nervously surveying young Jake Rooney's progress. IMO, he has all the physical and technical attributes to make a very decent ball-playing partner to the defensive core of Nelson, Cash and Nyambe, if full recovered from his injury. I know I've banged on about him before, but he's a lot better than he's had a chance to show, I'm convinced of it and he could be like a free signing for us this season.

12 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Bradley had a torrid time of it after playing on his nerves a bit early on and dropping a few bricks, thereby incurring the prolonged wrath of a fanbase who'd hailed him as the marquee signing. Brought back into the fold late season and played the full 90 in 11 of the last 12 games he played in, scoring 3 and at the heart of a defense that conceded only 6 goals in a dozen games and finished the year as the meanest defence in the EFL, yet in-house experts still label him terrible. No arguments that he's limited and his best years are behind him, but some folk just have to stick with their early assessments and can't ever give a player an even break once they've called them out. If just the final 3rd of the season and the promotion that ensued don't earn him any good faith in some quarters, then alas, nothing will. 

For me, the real quandary is was even his best form for L1 Derby last year, sufficiently good a Championship Derby a year on? Most often not, would be my thinking, but there are some very direct teams outside of L1 & 2, he'll be good cover in cup ties and if we're going into the last 15 of a game under siege bombardment, there's worse options by a long chalk. I also think he'd be of significant use in training.

I suspect this will have been a key focus area for Warne and all the recruitment team, as Warne, rightly IMO, favours building a strong spine to his team. I think we'll likely see a young CB come in, but if I were Sonny, I'd be more nervously surveying young Jake Rooney's progress. IMO, he has all the physical and technical attributes to make a very decent ball-playing partner to the defensive core of Nelson, Cash and Nyambe, if full recovered from his injury. I know I've banged on about him before, but he's a lot better than he's had a chance to show, I'm convinced of it and he could be like a free signing for us this season.

I agree on your assessment, but I would say if you end up playing either a back 2 or 3 and your options are Nelson, Cashin, Rooney, Nyambe and Forsyth then only 1 of them is over 6ft. I think we need to sign a taller centre back so don’t need Bradley from the start in league games. 

35 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

100% agree. I think we watch the same matches and draw similar conclusions. I saw first Bradley in the pre season friendly against the Blades. He was imperious, head was a ball magnet. Those early season slips messed his confidence big time. The wolves in our fan base love making a scapegoat / victim. It was really distasteful hearing the derision from seats around me when he came on later in the season. He is past his best, not that mobile and if our opponents have a pacy front line he will get caught. He’s still a good player though as his later season form showed. How many wrote of Curtis Davies as being too slow wanting him dropped ? 
You’re right about Rooney though. If he has a full recovery I reckon we will have a secret weapon 

17 minutes ago, tomsdubs said:

We always have a section of the fanbase at Derby that write players off as soon as they can and refuse to change their opinion even in the face of direct evidence. Strange group but they've always been here.

I do find it weird. There will be exactly the same thing for the Dutch lad if he does sign if he is anything but stand-out in our pre-season games.