Transfer rumours

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

I do think some of the business this window has been good, bringing in quality. But just not enough of it. And the talk of loan striker instead of buying from Japan or the Continent seems short-sighted. I'm dubious we will get that loan over the line. 

What I was actually implying is that despite my apparent happy-clapper delusions, I'd argue we don't have even one top quality player at the club presently. Perhaps one or two new recruits may prove to be PL level players in time, but none are proven to be even close to that now and I very much doubt we have the financial wherewithal to bring any in either, even on loan.

Where you and I have middle ground is that I agree that the club has made a poor job of setting expectations (always better to under-promise and over-deliver IMO), but I think for the most part, the recruitment drive has been as good as I could have expected. I think we'll likely be 1 or 2 short, even as the window closes and will again be trying to plug gaps in the winter window. It's far from ideal, but it's as good as it gets, this season at least. 

20 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

What I was actually implying is that despite my apparent happy-clapper delusions, I'd argue we don't have even one top quality player at the club presently. Perhaps one or two new recruits may prove to be PL level players in time, but none are proven to be even close to that now and I very much doubt we have the financial wherewithal to bring any in either, even on loan.

Where you and I have middle ground is that I agree that the club has made a poor job of setting expectations (always better to under-promise and over-deliver IMO), but I think for the most part, the recruitment drive has been as good as I could have expected. I think we'll likely be 1 or 2 short, even as the window closes and will again be trying to plug gaps in the winter window. It's far from ideal, but it's as good as it gets, this season at least. 

One or two short of what? It's a phrase I hear but wondering what it means.

One or two players short of staying up?

That far adrift by Jan that we must then prepare for League One?

Not a dig...just genuinely asking. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Feeling somewhat despondent re transfers. We sound as if we're fishing in the same pond as everyone else, but with less bait. Obviously not the case for Gouldmijn and Zetterström, but it's strikers where the value is obviously to be found. 

While I would love us to get three more top quality players through the door, we're not the best at managing expectations. Will we really see the midfielder before Barrow? Let us hope. Do we really have a very competitive budget? Not so far. And should we already be talking about free agents? Maybe yes if we can land Josh King, but can we really? 

My expectations are we will only get one or two over the line, and whatever the last one is, it's likely to be a desperation signing. 😞

Just a few days off the transfer window closing, so we are definitely into expectation management territory. 

1 hour ago, Comrade 86 said:

Comedy What GIF by Nickelodeon

58 minutes ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

One or two short of what? It's a phrase I hear but wondering what it means.

One or two players short of staying up?

That far adrift by Jan that we must then prepare for League One?

Not a dig...just genuinely asking. 

One or two short of a starting 11 of Championship quality. No more than that. 

28 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

One or two short of a starting 11 of Championship quality. No more than that. 

Fair enough. I think there's enough in the squad now for a starting 11 worthy of the Championship.  Just think it looks bare when it comes to the squad. Other teams will have far more impact from the bench and will feel the injury bite less.

8 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

Assuming the Loan is the one that @SECornerRAMsaid in Chirewa, that leaves a CB and Striker as Loan and Free agent

Really hoping Al-Hamadi is the loan and then the free agent will be the CB

Don't remember saying that one? 

The closest one is Devine to my knowledge - he's been in and all verbally agreed (believe someone else may have had the scoop on this yesterday) 

If I hear anything I'll drop a message - however a convenient stag do in Newcastle continues before Barrow on Tuesday 

6 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

The closest one is Devine to my knowledge - he's been in and all verbally agreed (believe someone else may have had the scoop on this yesterday) 

If I hear anything I'll drop a message - however a convenient stag do in Newcastle continues before Barrow on Tuesday 

It was MACKWORTHRAM who mentioned Chirewa. He wasn't on Wolves bench today and didn't play in PL2 fixture on Friday. 

Would like him and Lonwijk as a double from Wolves. That would be two quality signings.

8 hours ago, Fraser_23 said:

Assuming the Loan is the one that @SECornerRAMsaid in Chirewa, that leaves a CB and Striker as Loan and Free agent

Really hoping Al-Hamadi is the loan and then the free agent will be the CB

7 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

You didn't. It was @MACKWORTHRAM who talked about the Wolves Zimbabwean lad.

On 24/08/2024 at 18:01, MACKWORTHRAM said:

The one I mentioned earlier, Tawanda Chirewa, is from a really reliable source.

One other I heard yesterday, but it was from a bloke in the pub, is Andre Gray.

Please take that with a pinch of salt as I overheard in the pub from someone I do not know. 

No idea where Andre Gray is now or if he is a free.

16 minutes ago, SECornerRAM said:

Have you heard anything on Ali Al-Hamadi SE?

59 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Looking at stats devine doesn't excite me at all. 

Think we need a lb as priority to be honest then some goal threats. Not a midfielder with limited goal contributions even if tidy 

Devine is a very highly rated prospect, one of the most decorated youth internationals in England’s history, but he hasn’t exploded onto the scene in his loans. It doesn’t always happen that way, sometimes it can take a couple of loan moves in order to find their feet at senior level: Dane Scarlett was another who I highlighted as one who is likely to suddenly get on a roll. These lads get to where they are on raw talent, but it’s not always enough. Devine had an excellent preseason with Spurs, perhaps we can give him a platform to bring his talent to the forefront. I think Warne is potentially a good match for him, a talented midfielder who has struggled to impact games - Max Bird was a prime example. 

Of course it’s a gamble, but I fear that we do have a lack of talent in the team so bringing someone in with raw talent, of that magnitude, could really help. Given our budgetary restraints, talent is going to be difficult to come by.

1 hour ago, gccrowdpleaser said:

Fair enough. I think there's enough in the squad now for a starting 11 worthy of the Championship.  Just think it looks bare when it comes to the squad. Other teams will have far more impact from the bench and will feel the injury bite less.

I've said the same elsewhere on here, I'd just feel more comfortable if we were mid-table rather than just surviving. I do think we're seeing improvement from game to game though, as one would expect with so many new players, so perhaps I'm worrying over nothing.

28 minutes ago, FKANorwichExile said:

Devine is one of those Mount-like players who could look a class apart or get kicked to oblivion, but I struggle to see where he fits in to our current system. Unless we're planning on playing a 4-6-0 formation that is

I think he can play as a 8 or 10, therefore will be largely competing with Kenzo/Osborn/Thompson. 

5 hours ago, FKANorwichExile said:

Devine is one of those Mount-like players who could look a class apart or get kicked to oblivion, but I struggle to see where he fits in to our current system. Unless we're planning on playing a 4-6-0 formation that is

Goudmijn/Devine

Ozoh/Adams

Osborn/Thompson

6 players for 3 positions, isn't that pretty normal when constructing a squad for a ~50 game season?

---

I dont think it will happen this window, but I'd also like to see us sign a left winger/attacker as feel that NML is wasted on the left.

Jackson/NML rotating for the right side would be ideal if we had a better option to play on the left. Hopefully CBT will step up a level if he can stay fit enough and rotate with Barkhuizen for now.

3 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Unless it’s different for a cup game, if Warne expects the new midfielder to actually be involved against barrow he’ll have to be signed by 12 noon today. 

Didn't get the sense he planned for an involvement anyway, just that it would be done by the time the game rolls around.