Transfer rumours

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

You're getting into the realms of Maslows Hierarchy now.

The analogy is valid if you agree that the short term need is provided by renting a place but the long term requirement of owning your own place isn't.

I was after all replying to the post which said our transfer strategy is akin to building a house on quicksand as there's no foundations as we will never own the assets we are paying for to paraphrase the OP. 

I have to say that your quote of football is played in the now is exactly the reason why we got into the financial mess we did so was hoping that DC would want to avoid that at all costs. 

IMG_9440.jpeg

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

You're getting into the realms of Maslows Hierarchy now.

The analogy is valid if you agree that the short term need is provided by renting a place but the long term requirement of owning your own place isn't.

I was after all replying to the post which said our transfer strategy is akin to building a house on quicksand as there's no foundations as we will never own the assets we are paying for to paraphrase the OP. 

I have to say that your quote of football is played in the now is exactly the reason why we got into the financial mess we did so was hoping that DC would want to avoid that at all costs. 

No you’re completely wrong about the bottom part. The idea that football is played in the now relates to the fact that you have to ensure your squad has enough quality now as well as in the future hence the need for good quality premier league loans over small fees for gambles. I’d love nothing more than for us to sign 18 -24 year olds with potential in the hope that in 2 years half of them have been a massive success and have set us up for the foreseeable but unfortunately our squad didn’t have anywhere near enough quality required so we couldn't take that risk at this moment. And it would have to be a risk because we couldn’t go throwing 500k-1m on 10 players. There’d have to be some £200k players in there and they always carry a risk. 

Understanding that needing quality right now as well as building for the future hence the heavy use of the loan market isn’t the same as deciding we can just outbid everyone for any player who’s had a purple patch in the last 18 months which is what got us into the mess we were in. 

3 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

No you’re completely wrong about the bottom part. The idea that football is played in the now relates to the fact that you have to ensure your squad has enough quality now as well as in the future hence the need for good quality premier league loans over small fees for gambles. I’d love nothing more than for us to sign 18 -24 year olds with potential in the hope that in 2 years half of them have been a massive success and have set us up for the foreseeable but unfortunately our squad didn’t have anywhere near enough quality required so we couldn't take that risk at this moment. And it would have to be a risk because we couldn’t go throwing 500k-1m on 10 players. There’d have to be some £200k players in there and they always carry a risk. 

Understanding that needing quality right now as well as building for the future hence the heavy use of the loan market isn’t the same as deciding we can just outbid everyone for any player who’s had a purple patch in the last 18 months which is what got us into the mess we were in. 

Football actually is played in the now, I do agree with you on that point, unless your watching games on my Fire stick and there's an annoying 2 minute delay on the stream......

2 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Football actually is played in the now, I do agree with you on that point, unless your watching games on my Fire stick and there's an annoying 2 minute delay on the stream......

I’m just as disappointed that we aren’t able to do what you and Ambitious have alluded to. I guess where I differ with some posters is that I genuinely think if we had a better squad in the first instance rather than one cobbled together to get us over the line in league 1 and if we had a slightly bigger budget I think we’d be all over the plan to sign lots of exciting younger players permanently. I think this is a forced strategy due to circumstance. 

Just now, Ram1988 said:

We are being linked to Marvin Johnson from Wednesday. Verstile left winger / left back. Not sure about it myself due to his age.

Is this a new link today or just the same link we had a week or so ago?

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Imagine a few days old. On comms for the Wednesday game it was mentioned he was being linked with his former club Oxford. 

3 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

DC twice now has made, in my opinion, the faux pas of mentioning competitive transfers budgets which am sure in hindsight he won't make on a third occasion. 

Yeah that was a mistake. The problem is 'competitive budget' is ambiguous. Competitive with what? Teams seeking to avoid relegation? Teams aspiring to promotion? The Championship average?

I suspect Clowes meant something like 'Competitive with other clubs in our situation' but fans of course heard something else. (It didn't help that in one of the interviews where he used the phrase he was drawn into saying something about wanting to win the league/get promoted, as I recall.)

2 minutes ago, vonwright said:

Yeah that was a mistake. The problem is 'competitive budget' is ambiguous. Competitive with what? Teams seeking to avoid relegation? Teams aspiring to promotion? The Championship average?

I suspect Clowes meant something like 'Competitive with other clubs in our situation' but fans of course heard something else. (It didn't help that in one of the interviews where he used the phrase he was drawn into saying something about wanting to win the league/get promoted, as I recall.)

He also said on the last occasion something along the lines of he was excited by our budget to paraphrase him which also sent out the wrong vibes as well. 

My take was that it is competitive with other teams in the Championship but seeing as we are having to play catch up with the majority of them as they have assembled their squads over a number of seasons then we outlay the same budget on players as them our squad still is considerably weaker. 

3 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

It’s an interesting discussion, the recruitment strategy, the budget, the signings so far, the potential further recruitment this window. Looking to summarise what’s been done up to now…

Permanent signings (I’m including CBT as he technically joined permanently in summer);

Ben Osborn (free)

Kayden Jackson (free)

Ebou Adams (fee “undisclosed” but rumoured anywhere between £400k and an eventual £900k)

Corey Blackett-Taylor (free)

Kenzo Goudmijn (fee, “undisclosed” but rumoured somewhere between £600k and £800k)

Jacob Widell Zetterström (fee “undisclosed” but our loose lipped Swedish friends suggest around £1.4m)

Rohan Luthra (free)

Loan signings;

David Ozoh

Jerry Yates

Academy recruits;

Morten Spencer, Alex Stepien-Iwumene, Jerome Richards, Freddie Turley and Emmanuel Ilesanmi all joined the u21s.

So far that’s 9 “senior” additions and the 5 u21s. Some work has been done to identify and recruit those 14 players.
Fees somewhere between £2-3 million have been spent on the permanent deals along with whatever signing on fees for the free agents. The signings of Wilson and Washington (and Fornah?) last summer involved conditional fees in the event of promotion if I recall rightly? So potentially more money spent there, though that may be relatively small amounts 🤔 

Looking at that, I think there has been some good work and some money spent, and also that potentially it could have been better still. I’d like to see us sign a couple more permanently, in that core age bracket of 21-28 years old, maybe from abroad or the lower leagues if budget allows. It must be a strange balancing act for the decision makers at the club, the potential additional quality of the right prem loans could make all the difference so spending a fee of a few hundred grand may make sense, but also taking a chance on a Wiredu or someone to secure a footballer who might step up to the level comfortably and be part of the squad for a few years also makes sense.

Not really sure what I’m saying in my rambling post, just trying to gather my thoughts on it in one place. I don’t think we’re done yet, whether that is loans or permanent additions, there’s also that potential for free agents like the Nyambe deal last summer… Gotta wait and see what happens in the next two weeks I guess. Always fun times.

To be contentious, reading through your eloquent summary if I'd have known we were going to spend £1.25 million on a goalkeeper yet nothing on a proven striker then I would have queried that as it seems likely that's the way it's going to end up now. 

Happy to get the guy in of course but not at the exclusion of a transfer fee for a striker. 

6 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

To be contentious, reading through your eloquent summary if I'd have known we were going to spend £1.25 million on a goalkeeper yet nothing on a proven striker then I would have queried that as it seems likely that's the way it's going to end up now. 

Happy to get the guy in of course but not at the exclusion of a transfer fee for a striker. 

As we have seen with Osula and Dobbin, maybe there is just more value in a GK?

£1.2m of whatever has been bandied around for JCW, will imho bring us a lot more value than similar spent on a striker.  Not saying we don't need a striker, we desperately do, but maybe the decent ones are out of our reach atm and with Brown hopefully nearing his potential and becoming a 1st team player in the next season or two loans are deemed better bang for buck.

21 minutes ago, Tyler Durden said:

Not like you to be contentious… 😉 

It’s a fair observation, my own thoughts echo what @maxjam has put. I think there’s maybe an intentional “short-termism” to our forward recruitment coupled with circumstance, as in the club don’t want to fully block Brown’s path to the first team so extend Collins’ deal and loan in Yates, but would ideally like to add another and the budget/demand is proving more difficult than anticipated. Whether it’s right or not is the question we’ll see answered in time.

I still think we’ll see some additions, either on loan, or via a surprise permanent deal. Warne often seems to keep his cards relatively close to his chest, there wasn’t much noise around Ozoh for example until the deal was pretty much agreed.

Also, I had a nose earlier, there are still some free agents out there in the wider world of football who could come in and do a job, only a select few know if the club is considering that market and the options within.

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

2 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Not like you to be contentious… 😉 

It’s a fair observation, my own thoughts echo what @maxjam has put. I think there’s maybe an intentional “short-termism” to our forward recruitment coupled with circumstance, as in the club don’t want to fully block Brown’s path to the first team so extend Collins’ deal and loan in Yates, but would ideally like to add another and the budget/demand is proving more difficult than anticipated. Whether it’s right or not is the question we’ll see answered in time.

I still think we’ll see some additions, either on loan, or via a surprise permanent deal. Warne often seems to keep his cards relatively close to his chest, there wasn’t much noise around Ozoh for example until the deal was pretty much agreed.

Also, I had a nose earlier, there are still some free agents out there in the wider world of football who could come in and do a job, only a select few know if the club is considering that market and the options within.

Have to consider that the quality of goalkeeper you get for £1m far far far outweighs the quality of striker you get for £1m. 

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

I think its a "fresh" rumour. Not sure how credible it is though.

Being a versatile player I can see how he could be seen as a Paul Warne "type" of player. Being 33 he's 5 years too old for me however. Rather us save the wages for someone.

5 minutes ago, Srg said:

Have to consider that the quality of goalkeeper you get for £1m far far far outweighs the quality of striker you get for £1m. 

Agreed, that’s why I referred to @maxjam’s post as they’d said the same.

For me we needed midfielders and a goalkeeper more than we needed strikers once Yates and Jackson signed. Their qualities have been questioned (understandably so) but it meant we had Yates, Collins, Brown, Washington, Jackson, CBT, Barkhuizen and NML as options of varying levels to play in attacking roles, their potential impact yet to be proven BUT at least the bodies are there. Midfield and Goalkeeper was looking decidedly sparser. 

45 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

As a case in point Gustaf Nilsson is a Swedish centre forward with 6caps, he’s 27 and would cost 6m.  

2 hours ago, Tyler Durden said:

I think you might be pleasantly surprised by Yates bud. I hope so anyway. 

3 hours ago, Comrade 86 said:

I think you might be pleasantly surprised by Yates bud. I hope so anyway. 

Yeah I think Yates has looked sharp and has decent scoring record in the context of his time at this level.