UEFA Euro 2024 Thread

Day

I want England to win. Preferably that would be with them playing “like Brazil” (or Klopp’s Liverpool as an alternative). I want high tempo, slick passing, movement, pressing, high intensity football. Above all I want to enjoy watching them play.  That hasn’t happened with England for a long time (with probably some one-off exceptions here and there).  

Winning is obviously the priority but I can’t see why that means having to be so pedestrian. Surely we can have good football and victory? 

11 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

You are clearly not happy with Southgate's record then and mock it, when it's vastly better than nearly all other managers. You have nothing else to offer. There are hardly any other options. You will never be satisfied. 

Just popped into this thread for the first time ,,,,, was wondering where roy Mac was getting his fix now 😂

If England win this tournament, I will pop out on the final whistle, find myself a football pitch*, and invade the b******!  

*Odds on, it'll be The Racecourse, as I'm only around the corner!  😁

Siouthgate should be managing the England’s women’s team. He could lecture them empathetically on what they feel about the press coverage, the crowd reactions, the nation’s expectations and they would listen attentively and respond. He does that with the men and they think he’s weird and confusing 

51 minutes ago, LazloW said:

I want England to win. Preferably that would be with them playing “like Brazil” (or Klopp’s Liverpool as an alternative). I want high tempo, slick passing, movement, pressing, high intensity football. Above all I want to enjoy watching them play.  That hasn’t happened with England for a long time (with probably some one-off exceptions here and there).  

Winning is obviously the priority but I can’t see why that means having to be so pedestrian. Surely we can have good football and victory? 

It’s not only what we’d like to see. It’s what our opponents most fear about our squad!

Foden, Palmer and Bellingham playing first time passes would terrify any team.

We need quick ball to them though and Wharton is the man to do that.

Would GS be brave enough to play him with Rice?

1 hour ago, TimRam said:

It's that slow tip-tapping and faffing about passing backwards in our half I cannot stand. Seen it for a long time with England. They seem to be clueless how to build an attack.

Did you see the one where they were doing that, and ended up putting it out for a corner to Denmark? 😀

Pickford

Walker        Guehi       Stones     Gomez

Wharton  Rice

Saka           Bellingham     Foden    
                          Palmer 

Keep the ball on the ground. No long punts from Pickford. Pass it quickly and bravely to make the most of our talent.

54 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

It’s not only what we’d like to see. It’s what our opponents most fear about our squad!

Foden, Palmer and Bellingham playing first time passes would terrify any team.

We need quick ball to them though and Wharton is the man to do that.

Would GS be brave enough to play him with Rice?

Is he ? Not questioning to say that's right or wrong as I have only ever seen him play for around 60 minutes on a TV. 

2 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Is he ? Not questioning to say that's right or wrong as I have only ever seen him play for around 60 minutes on a TV. 

Yes, Wharton’s key strength is his positive passing. Every pass we make ATM seems to be slow paced and safe.

12 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Yes, Wharton’s key strength is his positive passing. Every pass we make ATM seems to be slow paced and safe.

Pickford passes it forward quickly.

Pickford

Walker    Guehi   Stones   Trippier/Shaw when fit

Rice

Bellingham     

Saka            Foden            Watkins/Gordon

Kane

We don't need 2 defensive midfielders but Southgate is obsessed with it. Especially with his remarks about needing a Phillips replacement!

Bellingham has played part of the season for Real as an 8 and been really successful. Foden has played mostly as a 10 and been brilliant. Watkins does play wide left for Villa occasionally and offers more pace and goal scoring than most from there. If we are to play anyone out of position I'd prefer it to be him and not Foden and Bellingham. Gordon is a good shout with the energy, press, crossing and directness he brings.
Shaw for Trippier would give us a left sided fullback but I do think Tripper is the best of the options he decided to take in the mean time.

5 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The good thing is that if we do turn it around, then just like with Derby, you'll be able to claim the credit by saying Southgate listened to your concerns and only changed the team because of you 😂

I haven't claimed that Paul Warne listened to me. He may have heard the anger from the fans at 2 or 3 away matches because of what was being dished up , but I wasn't there - it was almost impossible to get tickets for most of us last season, so he couldn't have listened to me. But if things didn't change after that watershed, we wouldn't have been promoted. Maybe he listened, maybe he didn't, only he knows, but the change happened after the outrage, not before. It is likely that the arrival of Ebou Adams had something to do with it, though.

Our success in the past was because Southgate built a team that could keep the ball, which is key in tournament football. It was never a defensive ploy - it was to maintain possession in lieu of a proper playmaker.

He’s caved into public demand this tournament and is picking the stars and it’s turned into some Gerrard/Lampardian mess.

The other good thing he did was build good relations with the media and a relationship with the fans.

He should go at the end of the EUROs because the team he built has gone now and he’s lost the public and is starting to lose the media.

But by Christ, it’s not as simple as ‘we need to be more attacking’.

50 minutes ago, Anag Ram said:

Maybe, something needs to change, no doubt about it. Not getting to worried yet though, rather we have the problems now that can be rectified rather than in the knockout stages when you are in last chance saloon.

Not sure why there appears to be "fans" wanting them to fail, it's was same with Warne, always seems strange to me that they seem to waiting for it to happen so they can bash the keyboard 😳

Also often seems to be the same ones, maybe I'm wrong on that though 🤔

3 minutes ago, cannable said:

Our success in the past was because Southgate built a team that could keep the ball, which is key in tournament football. It was never a defensive ploy - it was to maintain possession in lieu of a proper playmaker.

He’s caved into public demand this tournament and is picking the stars and it’s turned into some Gerrard/Lampardian mess.

The other good thing he did was build good relations with the media and a relationship with the fans.

He should go at the end of the EUROs because the team he built has gone now and he’s lost the public and is starting to lose the media.

But by Christ, it’s not as simple as ‘we need to be more attacking’.

This is why I am scratching my head at who would replace him that is realistic. We need a manager that can cope with all the media pressure and can make tough decisions but someone who has a clear specific style of play that will fit the majority of the youngish players. I worry that with the bookies favourites Potter does he have either? he crumbled at Chelsea. Would Howe really leave Newcastle? Pochettino is too defensive.

I can only see Lee Carsley just on the basis that he's worked with all the young, next generation of players and won the U21 Euros but that's all you can hang your hat on for him.

2 hours ago, TimRam said:

It's that slow tip-tapping and faffing about passing backwards in our half I cannot stand. Seen it for a long time with England. They seem to be clueless how to build an attack.

I have horrible memories of various different England back-fours knocking it pointlessly from one side of the pitch to the other while the clock ticks down....