How much do you think we have to spend on actual transfer fees?

1 minute ago, littleover ram said:

It’s a new era since Mel Morris and we should sit down with Steve Gibson and discuss what is a reasonable budget for us that Middlesbrough would be ok with. Wycombe too. Show how we’ve changed from the Mel era and we want to cooperate 

Eh?

What's it got to do with either Boro or Wycombe what our budget is and why should we be checking it's OK with them?

Unless of course you believe the conspiracy theory that Gibson controls the EFL. 😀

7 hours ago, Ambitious said:

The wage bill in 22/23 was £17.2m - not £8.8m. I think the club were being coy in how it was reported and misrepresented some wages from first team spending as ‘academy’. 

Sunderland ran a bigger operation on a smaller wage budget than we did (for example). Unless Pearce is on absolute mind and the Groundstaff are the best paid in the world - I’m not buying the first team wage budget published via local news outlets. If it is then we seriously need to look at where and how we are spending money.

Youre correct with £17.2m for the wage bill. The accounts also stated a SCMP of 42.0% on a turnover of £20.4m (£8.6m). Some people chose to interpret that to mean whatever they wanted. I dont think that's coy... it's just people not understanding what they read. Dom Dietrich oddly reported it as £7.3m (36%) for first team players.

The £8.6m figure doesn’t even include all first team players. For the avoidance of doubt, any player aged 21 or younger as of the start of the annual year of which the season starts (ie 7 months prior to the first game of the season) is excluded from the SCMP figure. So too is the share of wages received for players out on loan (Bielik). I believe it also excludes pension and NI costs.

13 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Forget wages, I’d be disappointed if we didn’t have at least £3m in the transfer kitty. 

But alas I know as much as everyone else on here, which is why I can’t get my head around people saying they wouldn’t spend £900k on a goalkeeper. We might be able to afford it.

900k on a goalie is crazy in this league. There's almost no chance of selling at a profit.

And just to temper your hopes, Sheffield Wed and Plymouth both spent less than 2.5m across both windows after promotion.

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

900k on a goalie is crazy in this league. There's almost no chance of selling at a profit.

And just to temper your hopes, Sheffield Wed and Plymouth both spent less than 2.5m across both windows after promotion.

Why is the position relevant? 

£0 goalkeeper   
£900k on a midfielder 

vs

£900k goalkeeper   
£0 midfielder

i guess the midfielder has more chance of making a profit. But what the players bring to the team id say it’s even Stevens.

In regards to Plymouth and Weds, without sounding like forest fans justifying their £200m splurge. I doubt either club had to fill half a squad.

Edited by TomTom92

32 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

Blackburn signed Kaminski for £500k and sold him for £2.5m to Luton, if a player is good enough there’s always chance of profit. 
Not saying I think we should sign Johansson, but spending money on a well thought of 25 year old goalkeeper doesn’t seem completely irresponsible. Rumours are he’s off to Stoke anyway so it’s probably a moot point. 

17 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Why is the position relevant? 

£0 goalkeeper   
£900k on a midfielder 

vs

£900k goalkeeper   
£0 midfielder

i guess the midfielder has more chance of making a profit. But what the players bring to the team id say it’s even Stevens.

In regards to Plymouth and Weds, without sounding like forest fans justifying their £200m splurge. I doubt either club had to fill half a squad.

Maybe that's true, but I just though to look up... SW bought in 17 players, Plymouth 16.

9 and 10 loans respectively.

27 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Youre correct with £17.2m for the wage bill. The accounts also stated a SCMP of 42.0% on a turnover of £20.4m (£8.6m). Some people chose to interpret that to mean whatever they wanted. I dont think that's coy... it's just people not understanding what they read. Dom Dietrich oddly reported it as £7.3m (36%) for first team players.

The £8.6m figure doesn’t even include all first team players. For the avoidance of doubt, any player aged 21 or younger as of the start of the annual year of which the season starts (ie 7 months prior to the first game of the season) is excluded from the SCMP figure. So too is the share of wages received for players out on loan (Bielik). I believe it also excludes pension and NI costs.

They were coy in how it was published via Radio Derby/BBC. I have no doubt they published the figure via Dom to set a narrative. Not many fans read the actual accounts, less so compare to other clubs. Sunderland during their promotion season, therefore accounting for bonuses, spent less across 500 plus staff than we did across 300 staff, in comparative seasons in league one - albeit ours was when we finished seventh. The second highest wage bill in the league for said season ahead of Sheff Wednesday, Bolton, etc. 

It’s partly the reason why I don’t buy that we will do things on the cheap this summer, because Clowes hasn’t skimped on building a side for League One. I could be wrong, of course, but I feel people will be surprised with our level of budget/spending this summer. 

2 hours ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Blackburn signed Kaminski for £500k and sold him for £2.5m to Luton, if a player is good enough there’s always chance of profit. 
Not saying I think we should sign Johansson, but spending money on a well thought of 25 year old goalkeeper doesn’t seem completely irresponsible. Rumours are he’s off to Stoke anyway so it’s probably a moot point. 

If Luton had dealt with the obvious issue in January- a diabolical defence- we'd be looking forward to Forests relegation.  The games against Bournemouth and Arsenal spring to mind where it was easier to get points than get none. 

With away crowds increasing and the home attendance then being probably around 29,000/29,500 that would be roughly an extra 1 million to 1.5 million for the year if you average out at roughly. £20 pound per person for 25 home matches (with cups) minimum. 

All our transfers (presuming we have them) will be "undisclosed" as that's the way of doing business at the bottom end nowadays. My guess is we'll spend £2-3m on actual transfer fees, unless we sell Cash in which case it will be £4-5m.

Growing up, it felt as if we broke the British transfer record every other year. What times they were.

15 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

With away crowds increasing and the home attendance then being probably around 29,000/29,500 that would be roughly an extra 1 million to 1.5 million for the year if you average out at roughly. £20 pound per person for 25 home matches (with cups) minimum. 

We don’t make anything by taking a big away following , unfortunately. If we take into account crowds going up . Would a conservative David Clowes take into account that crowds could go down if we struggle a bit in our first season back ?

44 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

We don’t make anything by taking a big away following , unfortunately. If we take into account crowds going up . Would a conservative David Clowes take into account that crowds could go down if we struggle a bit in our first season back ?

I think @Eoghan1884 means bigger away crowds at Pride Park. 

28 minutes ago, angieram said:

I think @Eoghan1884 means bigger away crowds at Pride Park. 

Yep , that’s what I thought he meant though I’m not sure it will be too much difference as pp was THE big away day for many clubs in league 1

On 15/05/2024 at 23:57, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Given that our ( believe what you will from various sources ) turnover will increase from aprox £20m to £28m in the leap from League 1 to the Championship, do you think there may be a potential £3m of that increased revenue to spend on transfer fees? - or do you think no transfer fees, just increased player wages that will swallow up that ( supposed ) increase in revenue?

I'd like to think we could afford 3 x " Barker fees " i.e. 3 x £1m transfer fees for a goalkeeper, midfield general and a striker, taking into account a few of our expensive oldies on £10-£12K a week will be released and the anticipated £8m increase in revenue will happen.

Probably fanciful, but you can but hope...

I'm channeling my inner B4.

Problem is, due to footballing inflation a Barker-type fee these days is more £3,000,000.

Assume financially we are where we are right now, no additional investment etc. I think there wont be a massive increase in attendances from the second half of last season, and money through that (there cant be, they wont fit). Extra Sky money helps too. 

I feel 3 million might be about right, with wages on top of that, wages of course soaking up the majority of our extra spending. There may be some additional wriggle room if the right person is there at a price that needs a slight stretch to secure their services. I can't see Clowes purposefully rolling the dice, I can't see him getting "carried away" either. Any of our guys get sold, perhaps a decent percentage added to our budget (but the negotiation team will be very much "Dont think because we sold X for 3 million, we have 3m to spend because we dont!")

No logical or evidential reasons for the above, just a feeling.

1 hour ago, Archied said:

Yep , that’s what I thought he meant though I’m not sure it will be too much difference as pp was THE big away day for many clubs in league 1

It was the first season, not so much the second.

Some league one clubs just don’t have many fans.

I am confident there will be more away fans at Pride Park this season, the most significant factor will be midweek games on SKY.

On 16/05/2024 at 08:22, YouRams said:

When Mike Ashley buys us out this summer...

Dr Evil GIF by Product Hunt

I know why people dont like ashley, me included! But in terms of how he ran newcastle sustainably, thats how Clowes will and should run Derby! Just hope some fans dont forget what hes done for us after a few seasons and get on his back for not spending big 🫣

Up the Rams 🐏🐏🐏🐏