How much do you think we have to spend on actual transfer fees?

Posted (edited)

Given that our ( believe what you will from various sources ) turnover will increase from aprox £20m to £28m in the leap from League 1 to the Championship, do you think there may be a potential £3m of that increased revenue to spend on transfer fees? - or do you think no transfer fees, just increased player wages that will swallow up that ( supposed ) increase in revenue?

I'd like to think we could afford 3 x " Barker fees " i.e. 3 x £1m transfer fees for a goalkeeper, midfield general and a striker, taking into account a few of our expensive oldies on £10-£12K a week will be released and the anticipated £8m increase in revenue will happen.

Probably fanciful, but you can but hope...

I'm channeling my inner B4.

Edited by Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster

4 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

Given that our ( believe what you will from various sources ) turnover will increase from aprox £20m to £28m in the leap from League 1 to the Championship, do you think there may be a potential £3m of that increased revenue to spend on transfer fees? - or do you think no transfer fees, just increased player wages that will swallow up that ( supposed ) increase in revenue?

I'd like to think we could afford 3 x " Barker fees " i.e. 3 x £1m transfer fees for a goalkeeper, midfield general and a striker, taking into account a few of our expensive oldies on £10-£12K a week will be released and the anticipated £8m increase in revenue will happen.

The pot will be even bigger when we sell Daj for £25m...

We will learn a lot from the retained list and the scale of work that needs to be done this summer. We know that we are potentially losing 15 of last year’s squad, we know that we would need to increase the squad size for the Championship and only really have one player: Brown who is expected to take a place in the squad. 

If we are looking at potentially bringing 13, 14 players to the club this summer then there is undoubtedly going to have to be a healthy budget to accommodate it. I’m sure the Clowes will not be concerned with outlay for players if he truly believes he has the recruitment personnel and coaching personnel because you can sell players at a profit. I don’t doubt for a minute that the days of us spending good money on older, experienced players for the job of getting promotion rather than creating a resale market for ourselves has gone.

Find talented players, develop them and sell them on for higher fees. We have done very well at academy level in achieving just that, but appalling when it comes to recruiting/selling at first team level. 

Without any figures, I'd expect it to be low and used to Adams and 1-2 others with small transfer fees. Add multiple loans and around half a dozen free transfers and we should be around there.

Just a guess, but I'd expect us to use the "transfer" money like last season: sign so-called free transfers, and pay higher wages for more quality. Free transfer is a misleading term though.

Forget wages, I’d be disappointed if we didn’t have at least £3m in the transfer kitty. 

But alas I know as much as everyone else on here, which is why I can’t get my head around people saying they wouldn’t spend £900k on a goalkeeper. We might be able to afford it.

1 hour ago, TomTom92 said:

Forget wages, I’d be disappointed if we didn’t have at least £3m in the transfer kitty. 

But alas I know as much as everyone else on here, which is why I can’t get my head around people saying they wouldn’t spend £900k on a goalkeeper. We might be able to afford it.

It's more a question of whether spending nigh-on £1m on a goalkeeper is the best use of a limited transfer budget when there appears to be some decent out of contract alternatives available and what we don't have are strikers and midfielders?

Unless there is additional external investment I can’t see the club going down the same route as under the MM ownership. You would hope there is some headroom given revenue should be circa £27-£30m next season and we know the wage bill was £8.8m in 2023 with an average of just under £4k per week but that will of increased this last season. You would expect the average salary to almost double in the Championship to circa £8k to £10k per week and with a larger squad, other club running costs it isn’t going to leave much for transfers if we continue to run sustainably.

Best guess would be about £5m at best.

Lets save the £900k for a keeper and keep League Ones best keeper on our books, he wasn’t on crazy money £5k week, so give him a chance to prove himself in the Championship.

8 hours ago, Dave Mackay Ate My Hamster said:

£10M loss last season. I suspect we'll have made another loss this season, albeit a smaller one than last season. Will we actually have that "£3M" increased revenue to spend on transfer fees? I don't think we will.

8 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

FFP is done over 3 years right? We should spend as much as our overdrafts will allow in anticipation of being in the PL in 2 or 3 years and out of the EFL’s jurisdiction 

Isn’t that partly the type of thing that caused this situation in the first place (along with several other contributing factors)?

Spending relative to the club’s size and revenue makes sense, but not at the point of risking the club’s existence in my view. The increased revenue and any residual cash left in the bank from perhaps the Knight and Bird transfers could see us with a transfer pot of a few million quid, say anywhere between £2-5m (a complete guesstimate based on nowt but my own nonsense thinking). That money used sensibly along with the players we still have in the building is enough to strengthen the squad for this season and beyond, the interesting bit will be whether the club, the recruitment team, and Warne are able to maximise value out of whatever that pot is. 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Isn’t that partly the type of thing that caused this situation in the first place (along with several other contributing factors)?

Spending relative to the club’s size and revenue makes sense, but not at the point of risking the club’s existence in my view. The increased revenue and any residual cash left in the bank from perhaps the Knight and Bird transfers could see us with a transfer pot of a few million quid, say anywhere between £2-5m (a complete guesstimate based on nowt but my own nonsense thinking). That money used sensibly along with the players we still have in the building is enough to strengthen the squad for this season and beyond, the interesting bit will be whether the club, the recruitment team, and Warne are able to maximise value out of whatever that pot is. 

Sorry mate, but...

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

28 minutes ago, Srg said:

Sorry mate, but...

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Whether the post was intended as a joke or not my points still stand, I’d want the club to spend sensibly without taking unnecessary risk, and think that’s what we’ll see.

53 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

FFP is done over 3 years right? We should spend as much as our overdrafts will allow in anticipation of being in the PL in 2 or 3 years and out of the EFL’s jurisdiction 

48 minutes ago, EtoileSportiveDeDerby said:

As we used to say on payday, spend it quick before it's all gone

😂

#Yer canny tek it wi' yer.
#Tha's nay pockets in shrouds
#etc

With the anticipated increase in revenue you'd think they'll be around £2-3m in a pot for transfer fees, and the rest being divied up for loan fees & wages.  Not exactly the bottomless pit some were hoping for/expecting.  I'm thinking we'll be doing a lot of business with frees & loans.

1 hour ago, littleover ram said:

Haven't we tried that before Mel? 😀