Pre season

I think Barkhuizen last season was far more effective as a sub than when he started. Coming on during games, he seemed much more involved and was able to find space against tiring opponents. Even the goal contribution figures support this view 2 goals and 3 assists in 19 games when starting, against 4 goals and 5 assists as a sub in 18 games.

54 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

You mean when he played in a wider role?

He has a roaming role as replied before so wide and off the CF like the goal made by Yates. You have to assume he plays collins as yates is missing for 3 games

On 01/08/2024 at 07:00, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

My main concern last season is that we lacked control in a lot of games, we were not punished for that because we were in L1 and brute forced it with better players.

In the championship we absolutely will be punished because we don't have better players relative to most of the division.

I hope Warne has some tricks up his sleeve to sort that out so we'll see. Conceding a shedload of goals in pre-season isn't exactly the sign I was hoping for mind you.

Fair point. There isn’t a huge difference between L1 and Champ in terms of overall play, understanding and talent ….Except the percentage of errors….. The sitter missed, the badly read bounce quotient. It’s kind of 1:5 verses 1:10 . The standard of play won’t be vastly different but we won’t get the number of “let offs” 

3 hours ago, Topram said:

Never knew ‘fat Ronaldo’ owned the Spanish club we play tomorrow, get him a kit 

He was just a bit special wasn’t he ? I read that he was wanting to sell. Complex deal depending on what league they are in. Think they’ve just been promoted ? 

12 hours ago, Magicman said:

He has a roaming role as replied before so wide and off the CF like the goal made by Yates. You have to assume he plays collins as yates is missing for 3 games

Yeah he has some freedom but it works because he starts out wide and drifts in because that’s where the space is due to the formation. If we play 2 up top he starts centrally and the wide space is taken up by wingbacks and he’s just stuck in the centre not being as effective. I’d agree Collins should play a bigger part to warm up for Blackburn. 

15 hours ago, Crewton said:

I think Barkhuizen last season was far more effective as a sub than when he started. Coming on during games, he seemed much more involved and was able to find space against tiring opponents. Even the goal contribution figures support this view 2 goals and 3 assists in 19 games when starting, against 4 goals and 5 assists as a sub in 18 games.

Agree with this. Barks isn’t young anymore but still has some pace and good control. Maybe not 90 mins worth but it’s there and proved useful last season. As sub he’s got it in him to be able to do a “let’s be having you” at full tilt for half an hour.

15 hours ago, Topram said:

Never knew ‘fat Ronaldo’ owned the Spanish club we play tomorrow, get him a kit 

Yeah, the proper Ronaldo! Quality player! Apart from Derby and England shirts thats the only other shirt i owned as a kid! An Inter milan shirt with Ronaldo 9 on the back! Watching C4 football italia on a sunday morning lol! 

Ronaldo, Rivaldo and Ronaldinho playing for brazil aswell, what an attack!

6 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Yeah, the proper Ronaldo! Quality player! Apart from Derby and England shirts thats the only other shirt i owned as a kid! An Inter milan shirt with Ronaldo 9 on the back! Watching C4 football italia on a sunday morning lol! 

Proper footballing legend!! 

45 minutes ago, Comrade 86 said:

Ever?!?

And worse than facing a new campaign with only 6 contracted players?

Nah, not for me. 

'At this stage' as in less than a week until the season kicks off / final pre-season game territory. Granted the wording of the post 'when we were in admin' was poor/rushed but I'd think it obvious to most what I meant.

We started that pre-season with the deficiency you mentioned but by the time the season proper came along we had pretty much everything/one in place who would become staples of the team throughout the season. Last season we could say similar too.

This season we're still 3-4 first team starters short, still don't really know our preferred formation is and haven't had much time to work on things tactically, against the backdrop of stepping up a division.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

3 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

I always wanted a Roma shirt which stemmed from watching Football Italia too. Who says kids don't idolise fullbacks, I was all about Cafu and Gary Rowett at that age 😂

3 minutes ago, May Contain Nuts said:

'At this stage' as in less than a week until the season kicks off / final pre-season game territory.

We started that pre-season with the deficiency you mentioned but by the time the season proper came along we had pretty much everything/one in place who would become staples of the team throughout the season. Last season we could say similar too.

This season we're still 3-4 first team starters short, still don't really know our preferred formation is and haven't had much time to work on things tactically,  against the backdrop of stepping up a division.

We've spent the last decade 3-4 short, my old mucker! The day Derby heads into a season with me thinking, 'yeah, ducks in line' we're all over this', I'll fall off my barstool. Clearly you don't agree, but my sense of it is that we've signed well to date and with a month left to strengthen further, I think the club should be commended for their approach, not criticised. Best we agree to disagree on this one.