Pre season

5 minutes ago, CapeTownRams said:

Do we have any idea on the CBT injury ?? Cause ?

Looking such an odd signing. Doesn’t seem to fit any way of playing that Warne has. Is pretty much the opposite of what you’d class as a Warne player.

Think everyone hoping does well this season but really underwhelming so far.

Loses the ball a lot and does little to get it back! Lot to improve on

I honestly was relatively pleased with what i saw, yes it was horrible after 60 mins when we made wholesale changes but that wont happen in the league.

We definetly still need a few quality additions or we are going to struggle though.

Thought the midfield 3 of Kenzo, Adams and Ozoh was a definite improvement on last season.

Yates looks tidy but we need a quality striker as Collins isnt the answer.

I still believe we need a goalkeeper,CB, LB, CAM, Striker.

I thought Cashin played some really nice balls forward launching counter attacks. Ozoh looked like another level, Kenzo had another solid performance, Adams was busy and Yates had his best performance so far linking up nicely with NML. 

The first 60 minutes were much better and it’s going in the right direction. On to Saturday against what I imagine will be a strong side. 

1 hour ago, Donnyram said:

Wow 🙄

Brilliant retort. 

The bottom one is Warne doesn't have a great track record in championship. We shouldn't take too many chances and risk going back to league one. I've been seeing this before the preseason that we need to be very careful and this is a very competitive championship side and I don't trust Warnes tactics. 

Just now, WorcestershireRam said:

I thought Cashin played some really nice balls forward launching counter attacks. Ozoh looked like another level, Kenzo had another solid performance, Adams was busy and Yates had his best performance so far linking up nicely with NML. 

The first 60 minutes were much better and it’s going in the right direction. On to Saturday against what I imagine will be a strong side. 

Agreed - after their goal and up until he made all the subs - we looked much better. Lots of good signs from the players you’d expect to be in our starting XI come Blackburn.

I think though that, again, we’ve seen why Warne wants another 5+ signings. Some of our options are poor.

I mean I really want CBT to do well, and apparently he’s impressed in training, but he is just so off it at the moment. And the defensive options we currently have are worrying. Cashin…not sure what the problem is but he’s come back looking cumbersome and sloppy. 

There are green shoots and rain clouds, but I’m happy to wait until the transfer window is closed before I start to really fret. 

2 minutes ago, WorcestershireRam said:

That's a problem in itself though.  In the Championship Cashin pumping the ball down the wing can't be your main attacking option .  It has to be through midfield as he'll have enough on defending and unlike League 1, if it goes astray,  it will be turned over quickly.  He'll spend at least a third of the game blowing out his arse trying to get back in position as the ball heads back his way 5 seconds later. 

1 hour ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

Problem with that, is finding a manager who'd take a transfer budget of £2 to make changes to the squad after Warnes brought 8 players in.  Unless we can shift some earners on the periphery, or we make a sale- Cashin being the only likely one- we are stuck with what's coming in with little manoeuvre over the course of the season.

I understand, but strangely enough, I think there are people here that still underestimate how difficult league one is, and if we get relegated again, we may be stuck for sometime. It's about surviving in the championship.

You get our player of the season Nelson, a 6 foot 6 Swedish international goalie, a left wing back + a centre back with some pace and we will be ok. Yates looks lively and knows where to be when we have the ball on the move. Jackson and Mendez have ridiculous speed and Kenzo looks ridiculously gifted. Also Ebou and Ozoh once fully fit and get to know eachothers game will be very hard to outrun or out fight in the middle of the pitch. Osborn also has shown quality in this pre season and hope he’s used at lb or lwb over Elder until we sort that area out. 

1 minute ago, Nyderby said:

Brilliant retort. 

The bottom one is Warne doesn't have a great track record in championship. We shouldn't take too many chances and risk going back to league one. I've been seeing this before the preseason that we need to be very careful and this is a very competitive championship side and I don't trust Warnes tactics. 

Warne doesn't have a great track record in the Championship is such a lazy narrative.

I can't be arsed to repeat myself, but the long-and-short of it: 

Rotherham's highest wage bill under Paul Warne in the Championship was roughly £10m less as a club than ourselves in our first year in League One post-administration. Rotherham had a wage bill 45% of our own and we barely had a squad. 

He was competing against teams with double, commonly triple/quadruple, the budget he was afforded. When he has been afforded a competitive budget in respect to his peers - he's achieved every single season that he's been a football manager. 

We will provide him with a competitive budget this season, his record actually shows that he has a proven track record of achieving expectation. 

4 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Warne doesn't have a great track record in the Championship is such a lazy narrative.

I can't be arsed to repeat myself, but the long-and-short of it: 

Rotherham's highest wage bill under Paul Warne in the Championship was roughly £10m less as a club than ourselves in our first year in League One post-administration. Rotherham had a wage bill 45% of our own and we barely had a squad. 

He was competing against teams with double, commonly triple/quadruple, the budget he was afforded. When he has been afforded a competitive budget in respect to his peers - he's achieved every single season that he's been a football manager. 

We will provide him with a competitive budget this season, his record actually shows that he has a proven track record of achieving expectation. 

I get what you’re saying but not one of that changes that the fact he doesn’t have a great record in the championship 

12 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

You get our player of the season Nelson, a 6 foot 6 Swedish international goalie, a left wing back + a centre back with some pace and we will be ok. Yates looks lively and knows where to be when we have the ball on the move. Jackson and Mendez have ridiculous speed and Kenzo looks ridiculously gifted. Also Ebou and Ozoh once fully fit and get to know eachothers game will be very hard to outrun or out fight in the middle of the pitch. Osborn also has shown quality in this pre season and hope he’s used at lb or lwb over Elder until we sort that area out. 

Desperately need a No9

1 minute ago, Rich3478 said:

I get what you’re saying but not one of that changes that the fact he doesn’t have a great record in the championship 

It's nonsensical though? 

You can't just ignore something as critical as a club's budget in relation to their competition. 

I'm sure if you gave a coaching staff of Pep & Klopp a team of under 15s and made them play every week in the Premier League that they couldn't avoid breaking our record - does that suddenly make them bad managers?

Just now, Ambitious said:

It's nonsensical though? 

You can't just ignore something as critical as a club's budget in relation to their competition. 

I'm sure if you gave a coaching staff of Pep & Klopp a team of under 15s and made them play every week in the Premier League that they couldn't avoid breaking our record - does that suddenly make them bad managers?

@Ambitiousyou are making a really fair, sensible and reasonable point here - and nothing you are saying is incorrect

But at the end of the season the EFL don’t turn around and let you stay up because you had a lower wage budget than everyone else.

Hopefully Warne will have much more success in this division with us than he did with Rotherham, but I don’t think you can get too upset with fans essentially looking to his past performance in this league as a metric to judge him by.

After all, he was judged to be the man to get us out of League One on his time with Rotherham too, right?

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

@Ambitiousyou are making a really fair, sensible and reasonable point here - and nothing you are saying is incorrect

But at the end of the season the EFL don’t turn around and let you stay up because you had a lower wage budget than everyone else.

Hopefully Warne will have much more success in this division with us than he did with Rotherham, but I don’t think you can get too upset with fans essentially looking to his past performance in this league as a metric to judge him by.

After all, he was judged to be the man to get us out of League One on his time with Rotherham too, right?

No, of course not. We're not projecting how Warne will do with a budget a quarter of other sides though. I just find it as a lazy narrative because it knowingly disregards the circumstances that he was working under. 

This will be the first season Warne has ever had a competitive budget (for survival) in the Championship but he's shown when given a competitive budget (for promotion) in League One that he's achieved every full season he's been manager. 

In respect, he has achieved/exceeded to the level of his budget every season he's been in football management. How many managers can say that, an incredibly small minority. 

Football managers, no matter how good they are, ultimately rely on the players they put on the pitch. The players they can put out on the pitch are ultimately tied to how much the club can/will pay. Rotherham knowingly and willingly never committed to being a Championship-sized club. They were barely committed to being a top 6 League One club to be honest - he had a third of the budget Ipswich did in his last promotion from League One with Rotherham (for example).

38 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I agree they need to be priority signings. A GK, CB with some pace and someone who can play LB or LWB. Preferably a number 9 too.