Pre season

So it seems we’re playing Academico Viseu on Tuesday in a behind closed doors game in Spain. 

They’re a second division Portuguese side who bet Oxford a couple days ago 1-0 in a friendly also behind closed doors. 

They’ve a star player Gautier Ott a 22 year old French winger who was set to join Swansea for 1.2 million but it fell through due to “administrative reasons”. 

Hope the players managed to get some sleep last night. 

I've been on holiday in Spain when Real Madrid won the Champions league and there was car horns sounding well into the night as people celebrated. After there national team won, I can only assume the partying and hooting of horns is still going this morning.

21 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think Brown may go out on loan but not for the whole season. I think he is nearly ready to make an impact for us coming off the bench and maybe playing odd games 

I think he needs to go for the whole season, but add a recall clause.

Unless we are looking at him now thinking he is good enough and ready to start, coming off the bench a few times and playing odd games won't do anything for him.

If we rate him, but think he is not ready, the best thing is a league two loan and see how he gets on.

46 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Unless we are looking at him now thinking he is good enough and ready to start, coming off the bench a few times and playing odd games won't do anything for him.

If we rate him, but think he is not ready, the best thing is a league two loan and see how he gets on.

Coming off the bench a few times and playing odd games is what Will Hughes did. Its not set in stone that players have to go out on season long loans until they are ready to be a guaranteed starter 

7 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Coming off the bench a few times and playing odd games is what Will Hughes did. Its not set in stone that players have to go out on season long loans until they are ready to be a guaranteed starter 

It also kind of implies that 'playing football' is more important than 'coaching football'?

13 minutes ago, Gerry Daly said:

Yes that is what I am saying. Unless we think he is good enough to start and ready to start, if not then he needs to go out on loan.

Players like Will Hughes do not come through very often. Some players go out on loan, some are ready and good enough. 

Hughes was 16 years old and a class above. Made 3 appearances at 16, then the following season played 38 games. The coaching staff at the time would have felt he was more than good enough and more than ready to play, which he was. If they didn't, he would have been loaned out.

If we think Brown is going to play 38 games next season, then absolutely, we should keep him here. But if we think he may get a few sub appearances and games on the bench, then for his development, he needs to go out on loan as its more beneficial.

There are plenty of players in the England squad now who all had loan spells in the lower leagues early on in their career (apart from Bellingham & Saka for obvious reasons) Kane is England's record scorer and at Brown's age he was on loan in league two at Leyton Orient, then went to Milwall, Norwich and Leicester. 

Some players are ready be be thrown straight in and some are not. 

Posted (edited)
47 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

If we think Brown is going to play 38 games next season, then absolutely, we should keep him here. But if we think he may get a few sub appearances and games on the bench, then for his development, he needs to go out on loan as its more beneficial.

There are plenty of players in the England squad now who all had loan spells in the lower leagues early on in their career (apart from Bellingham & Saka for obvious reasons) Kane is England's record scorer and at Brown's age he was on loan in league two at Leyton Orient, then went to Milwall, Norwich and Leicester. 

Some players are ready be be thrown straight in and some are not. 

Why does Brown need to play '38 games' next season? Why is it more beneficial to play at League 2 level, to train at League 2 level and to be coached at that level than having the same here, bar perhaps game time? He's been on loan and played against Big Boys already, we could benefit from his talents more especially when you look at our potential forward line-up. 

Edited by RoyMac5

22 hours ago, Gerry Daly said:

I think Brown may go out on loan but not for the whole season. I think he is nearly ready to make an impact for us coming off the bench and maybe playing odd games 

If you're good enough, you're old enough. Brown has the pace and power none of our other strikers possess, and a lot of skill to go with it. I would have loved this brilliant effort to have gone in, and hope he gets off the mark quickly to give him the confidence to play alongside the team at this level, and to crack on to do amazing things. If it clicks for him early, I do see there's a possible path to him becoming our most important striker this season. And the envy of the Championship.

He's still only 18, yet has scored:

• 14 goals in 19 Premier U18 games
  • 7 goals in 12 Premier League 2 (U21) games
  • 10 goals in 22 senior appearances for Gateshead (National League and FA Trophy) with many of those early appearance being as  a late sub

If a Premier League youth striker came to us on loan with that record, he'd be a cause of great excitement. Why can't he be our own, home-grown, 20 goal a season striker? The next Phil Gee?

41 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Why does Brown need to play '38 games' next season? Why is it more beneficial to play at League 2 level, to train at League 2 level and to be coached at that level than having the same here, bar perhaps game time? He's been on loan and played against Big Boys already, we could benefit from his talents more especially when you look at our potential forward line-up. 

I do think it would be perfect to keep him around for the first few games and see if he’s up to the level. The Jerry Yates suspension could actually be a blessing in disguise if brown gets minutes to prove himself. But if he’s not going to get great game time a high end L2 team with a good coach would be a great move for him. We have to insert a recall clause though if we need him because of injury or if the loan isn’t working out.

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Lovely to see, but I want to see the hardwork being done by the recruitment team trying to get the 8 players we desperately need to make us competitive.

Could have done with most of those in place for the Spanish training camp.

See if they'll let you into their office to watch. 

19 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

The club posted 2 similar photos on FB. Some wag suggested it's their annual jollies. I pointed out that 3 training sessions a day in 30+ degree heat was not really a jolly. The reply was, in capitals "AAAWWWWW DIDDDUUUMS". Walter Wakner was the name that came into my head... you know the one the South Stand sing "Neil Warnock, Walter Wakner, Walter Wakner"... or at least I think that's what they sing 😉

14 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Lovely to see, but I want to see the hardwork being done by the recruitment team trying to get the 8 players we desperately need to make us competitive.

Could have done with most of those in place for the Spanish training camp.

4 new players for the future, U21s for now. 1st team squad. Things take time. Players wanting to try and stay where they are, agents wanting to push fees up, clubs not prepared to let a player go before they have a replacement in situ.

Yes, we could but it's not just down to DCFC. The Recruitment team is reliant on so many external factors. Your unhappiness with the numbers in so far is understandable but irrelevant. They'll be in once we've reached agreement with players, agents and the players' current clubs and that is no easy task and also not one that gets done overnight.

6 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

I am not saying he needs to play 38 games, I just mean if he is going to be involved in a substantial amount of games. Then keep him here.

If not, It is more beneficial to his development playing proper league football in a tough league. Playing with a team like Chesterfield for example, they are the current favourites for the league. The pressure that comes with playing games that mean something, for a club pushing for the top 6. He has played half a season on loan in non league and people think he can just step right in. The natural step if he is not ready is to take the next step up and its a big jump from Gateshead to Chesterfield. 

Getting into a team and staying there by performing, taking your chances when you get them. 

I don't understand why you think that he would be better suited to just training here because he can train with us and not be coached by a league two manager

19 minutes ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

I don't understand why you think that he would be better suited to just training here because he can train with us and not be coached by a league two manager

I was questioning the value. You say it's better to play League 2 football, I wondered why that's better than being coached by our coaches and playing some games for us at a higher level. Not all youngsters get sent out on loan.

9 hours ago, MACKWORTHRAM said:

Was thinking about brown and loans and the first team picture at Derby.

Got me thinking which players have gone out on loan from our academy and gone on to be a key first team player in the last 10 or 15 years?

Bird - no loan

Knight- no loan

Cashin - no loan

Bogle - no loan

Hughes - no loan

Barnes - no loan

Even counting ebosele, plange, ebiowei as key players who all played a role when our luck was down.

I may have missed players and also forgot some of them went on loan, but I cant help thinking, as much as we rate brown on here, that if he was the real real real deal that we all hope he is he would be listed alongside the players above and not with the lowes, strettons, guys of this world.

10 minutes ago, KBB said:

Was thinking about brown and loans and the first team picture at Derby.

Got me thinking which players have gone out on loan from our academy and gone on to be a key first team player in the last 10 or 15 years?

Bird - no loan

Knight- no loan

Cashin - no loan

Bogle - no loan

Hughes - no loan

Barnes - no loan

Even counting ebosele, plange, ebiowei as key players who all played a role when our luck was down.

I may have missed players and also forgot some of them went on loan, but I cant help thinking, as much as we rate brown on here, that if he was the real real real deal that we all hope he is he would be listed alongside the players above and not with the lowes, strettons, guys of this world.

For what it’s worth, most of those listed were thrust into the first team not necessarily because they were ready… we were skint and desperate.