Birmingham relegated.

1 minute ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Twitter rumours of £15m plus £5m add-ons

Even if this is not the amount - and it is the £12m reported, this screams Mel Morris on stilts overspend.  BCFC fans celebrating this should be cautious as this feels crazy. 

11 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Twitter rumours of £15m plus £5m add-ons

Telegraph reporter:

I think this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard football wise.  To put in context, just the transfer fee is (off memory) roughly double our income for last season - with 30k most weeks. 

24 minutes ago, CBX1985 said:

I think this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard football wise.  To put in context, just the transfer fee is (off memory) roughly double our income for last season - with 30k most weeks. 

Our revenue was £20.4m in 22/23

6 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Our revenue was £20.4m in 22/23

Yes, apologies - it is late (and my brain is frazzled).  However, the figures quoted (re BCFC) are the same as our £15m for ticketing, hospitality and sponsorship.

Not sustainable.

Edited by CBX1985

It could be that getting promoted is the best thing that could happen, because then they'll come under much more stringent FFP rules and they'll need to get promoted straight off to avoid sanctions, though I agree that persistent failure to get promoted from league 1 would be utterly hilarious.

Ultimately, it's grossly unfair to well run clubs in league 1 . I'm going to be rooting for the likes of Barnsley, Stockport and Peterborough for sure.

14 hours ago, CBX1985 said:

Even if this is not the amount - and it is the £12m reported, this screams Mel Morris on stilts overspend.  BCFC fans celebrating this should be cautious as this feels crazy. 

It's nothing like the Mel Morris situation, he gambled what he couldn't afford to, these sums are pocket money to the Birmingham owners and with the Lg1 rules the owners have to inject the cash into the club to cover the costs and not loan it, even if they chose to walk away from the club, they'd leave them in a fairly healthy state. Running costs would be high, but they would be able offload some players to cover those costs.

Has to be said, for the absolute fortune they've spent on players, their squad looks too good for League One but doesn't really look all that spectacular compared to some other Championship teams