How impressive is PW as a coach?

8 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

Because it adds context, doesn't it? Typically the teams with the highest wage bills are better equipped for success.

No idea. If a large chunk of our wage bill was on things like directors and groundstaff, I'd fail to see how that helps Warne?

10 hours ago, sage said:

You used the term 'shoestring' as a way to praise the recruitment. If we weren't on a 'shoestring' budget then it shouldn't be used as a method of praise.

Some of the recruitment was excellent. Nelson, Nyambe and Adams. Some of it was poor such as Washington.

The rest were in-between.

My main criticism of one aspect of recruitment is we signed too many players who were injured, unfit or hadn't played much recently.

My main praise would be identifying and rectifying weaknesses during the season with Nyambe, Adams and Gayle.

There is plenty to praise without erroneous equivalences.

@Nuwtfly here from yesterday are my thoughts, which include praise for Warne. Not sure why you ignored this at the time then later claimed i refused to debate or praise. 

I'l leave it there. 

It’s going to be a massive rebuild and with it comes massive risk. The new players ( of which there will be many) will probably take a good while to gel and that could quite easily lead to a bad start to the season results wise. A bit like the past season but maybe worse…

Not all the signings will be a success cos that’s how football works.

We will need to be patient and understanding. If CBT can find his feet in the championship that would be a massive plus and almost like a new player on the books given how little he contributed last term. 

Ditto to a slightly less extent Bradley- cos if he’s not up to the Champo we will be desperately short of central defensive players. Mind u, I am still hearing that Fozzy will be with us for another year….(hopefully then coaching staff )…

2 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

It's not though is it? 

We no doubt had a higher wage budget than most other clubs in League 1 but the wages we could offer count for nothing if trying to attract players still under contract if we couldn't pay a transfer fee.

I think Warne did a good job in the end. But I have to admit I don’t think he’s some magician just because he had a business plan to adhere too. 

Surely the real judgement comes this summer.

22 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

I think Warne did a good job in the end. But I have to admit I don’t think he’s some magician just because he had a business plan to adhere too. 

Surely the real judgement comes this summer.

I agree, he’s done a good job but not enough to erect a statue in his honour quite yet.

The real judgement will come throughout the upcoming season rather than in the summer.

Having the biggest budget in the league is no means a guarantee of success. Look at ourselves at Championship level under Mel, or Man Utd in the PL.

It does help though.

Anything other than promotion this season would have been a disappointment and arguably an underachievement.

Especially given that there was no Ipswich, Sunderland or Sheff Wed this time around.

The true test of Warne’s coaching ability will come next season.

12 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

Having the biggest budget in the league is no means a guarantee of success. Look at ourselves at Championship level under Mel, or Man Utd in the PL.

It does help though.

Anything other than promotion this season would have been a disappointment and arguably an underachievement.

Especially given that there was no Ipswich, Sunderland or Sheff Wed this time around.

But you do give Warne credit for the job he’s done this season? 

I repeat  

- record points

- record away wins 

- joint record wins in a season for dcfc 

- best defensive record in the EFL

Yes? Or are the above just to be ignored 

Answers on a postcard 

The rams are going up ole ole 🐏

Regardless of budgets, we will go down as our best manager in history in terms of points return and our most successful since Billy D.

Succeeded where the lines of SM and co failed, give me another season of his football (which I enjoyed) and a promotion over anything served up on all of Mels tenure. 

Also one of very few that didn't bottle it going into the final part of the season, didn't panic like those before and deserves all the plaudits for doing so.

Get that statue built 😊

12 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Regardless of budgets, we will go down as our best manager in history in terms of points return and our most successful since Billy D.

Succeeded where the lines of SM and co failed, give me another season of his football (which I enjoyed) and a promotion over anything served up on all of Mels tenure. 

Also one of very few that didn't bottle it going into the final part of the season, didn't panic like those before and deserves all the plaudits for doing so.

Get that statue built 😊

Fortunately, points per game is not the only metric by which the quality of coach is judged

1 hour ago, Bris Vegas said:

It does help though.

I think the problem we have is that one of our biggest needs is in the centre forward department, which is probably one of the hardest positions to get good deals in.

1 hour ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Fortunately, points per game is not the only metric by which the quality of coach is judged

By you maybe not, however by the people that count, fortunately it is 😏

8 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

By you maybe not, however by the people that count, fortunately it is 😏

Once Warne has got us promoted to the top league next season then up to 5th in the top division, I'll consider a comparison with Arthur Cox. Once he's won the league, well, you know the rest.

1 minute ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Once Warne has got us promoted to the top league next season then up to 5th in the top division, I'll consider a comparison with Arthur Cox. Once he's won the league, well, you know the rest.

Comparing him to a manager from 35 years ago just backs up my post 😊

I said he was the most successful in points return, I think he'll take a comparison against Arthur though and a testament to what he has achieved 🥳

18 minutes ago, Returning ram said:

Comparing him to a manager from 35 years ago just backs up my post 😊

I said he was the most successful in points return, I think he'll take a comparison against Arthur though and a testament to what he has achieved 🥳

Being on the spectrum, I sometimes find it difficult to tell whether someone is joking. Sometimes.

21 minutes ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

Being on the spectrum, I sometimes find it difficult to tell whether someone is joking. Sometimes.

Can't argue with facts...give all the opinions you want, but it's their in the history books for all to see 😏

That tastes like... records being broken 🍸 

2 hours ago, AndyinLiverpool said:

14 minutes ago, DiggerB said:

XG? 😜

Likes on an internet forum.

Warney has proven to be a very good coach in L1. Hopefully he can get DCFC to finish in a respectable position in the Ch'ship. However to do so, a lot of things need to fall into place. No doubt about it, recruitment will determine our fate next season.  

21 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Maybe he should state that then rather than telling other posters that he is correcting their inaccuracies?

When he is armed with everyone's accounts from this year he can state with confidence that we had the highest wage bill, until that point it is guesswork and condescending to other posters accusing of them of posting falsehoods.

Perhaps but I think it’s hardly condescending to think you don’t need to know all 24 clubs wage bills to have an idea of where we’d be when we have last years wages as a starting point. 

I think people flying the ‘we can’t possibly know until the financial reports come out’ are those that are having people on a bit 😂