Retained List

No major disappointment in that list, Wildsmith obviously values himself higher than we can afford for a goalkeeper unless we bring in a better one whilst if Smith had stayed I would have only expected him to be a sub. Gayle is one I would have liked to have taken for a year if he wanted to stay because he knows where to be to put the ball in the net. Hopefully Sibley wants to stay with us whilst Collins might not want to be Sub most weeks so I expect he might get a longer term deal elsewhere as first choice. We will see if Warne tries to move on Fornah and Washington who have had next to no impact in league one and we will be in the championship.

A big thanks to the players leaving who all contributed to promotion out of that dreadful league, whilst I hope we see better players replacing them.

1 minute ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Is it possible that we’ve offered Sibley a deal just to protect his value at a tribunal?

It is possible, yes. Of course, it also possible that the discussions aren't about money but what role PW wants him for. If Sibs has set his heart on an AM role and PW sees him more as a LB/LWB...

Just now, Sparkle said:

No major disappointment in that list, Wildsmith obviously values himself higher than we can afford for a goalkeeper unless we bring in a better one whilst if Smith had stayed I would have only expected him to be a sub. Gayle is one I would have liked to have taken for a year if he wanted to stay because he knows where to be to put the ball in the net. Hopefully Sibley wants to stay with us whilst Collins might not want to be Sub most weeks so I expect he might get a longer term deal elsewhere as first choice. We will see if Warne tries to move on Fornah and Washington who have had next to no impact in league one and we will be in the championship.

A big thanks to the players leaving who all contributed to promotion out of that dreadful league, whilst I hope we see better players replacing them.

Rumours that he is a) off to Pompey and b) back to Wendy

Also rumours that Collo has an offer from Brum

2 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Is it possible that we’ve offered Sibley a deal just to protect his value at a tribunal?

Well yes but his contract was decent already remembering he was offered his based on a hat trick in the championship for a midfielder and a lot of promise - hopefully he stays 

1 minute ago, MadAmster said:

Rumours that he is a) off to Pompey and b) back to Wendy

Also rumours that Collo has an offer from Brum

Brum would be a decent move for JC but he did start at Villa I think whilst Wildsmith can go wherever he wants if he doesn’t want to be here any longer.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

Other than his time with us his career since 2016 has been spent in the championship? 

not bad for league 1 at best!!! 

Hardly ripped up trees though has he.. at the tail end of his career now to.. given the position he plays 

at best hes a v willing runner who isnt afraid to break past the last man… an underrated trait. 

but his end product is average at best, hes brain dead when it comes to getting caught offside and whilst mobile hes not exactly putting the fear of god into a back line in that respect

there will be quicker and better available to us 

Edited by NottsRam77

46 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I’d be very surprised if we didn’t look to move Washington on.

May well be the case. 

However if we can’t shift Wash on, him and Collins will just be replicating each others role in the squad for double the wages.

Probably best just to let both go as neither will be more than rarely used backup if we land our targets.

1 hour ago, dajstrawb said:

Just passing on what I was told. As a 36 year old married bloke, can safely say becoming an ITK warrior strangely doesn’t appeal to me 😂 Does Clowes have a well documented 4 year Championship plan? (Y) Do we crave to develop players with re-sale value? (Y) Is Jack Thompson incredibly highly rated, having been linked with top 6 Premier League sides during the last 12 months? (Y) Maybe you shouldn’t be so instantly dismissive. May be crossed wires from the source, but then again maybe not 🙃

Maybe we feel if he plays a season as a young number 1 and does well the big clubs will come sniffing and we can really "cash in" for the first time on a young player. English keeper, season as first choice, decent contract length? That's 10mill please. Everyone wants the next hart or pickford who were both young number 1s.

On 15/05/2024 at 16:21, simmoram1995 said:

So folks I’ve heard from my contact the following:

gone 

Wildsmith 

Waghorn

JJ

gayle 

hourihane 

smith 

forsyth - to be offered some type of coaching 

new contract offered 

Thompson 

collins 

sibley 

barks 

Contract offered to 3-4  out of contract players including these I’ve had confirmed 

Burrows 

Herbie Kane 

Tyrese Campbell 

Fair play Simmo this was mostly accurate in terms of the retained list….I still don’t buy that Smith had an attitude problem for being “dropped” when it was injury and recovery that took him out the team though 😉 🍻 

42 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

It is possible, yes. Of course, it also possible that the discussions aren't about money but what role PW wants him for. If Sibs has set his heart on an AM role and PW sees him more as a LB/LWB...

For me, and I guess for Louie, he should be playing up the pitch as an attacking midfielder. And I feel Warne refuses to see that. So I don't think Sibs can reach his ceiling at Derby, and I'd like to see him reach it. Perhaps he can move on and we'll get a fee from another Championship team, or even a lower Premier League club. Wolves and the dirties were always tracking him, and either may feel they have the means to let him become the player he's threatened to be.

If he's a bit part left wing back next season, it will be a disappointing watch. If he's playing centrally, causing havoc around our opposition box, then tremendous. 

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Thompson has been 1st choice for the U21s since before Christmas. Arguably man of the match most games too.

I would expect at least a full season on loan in L1 before being a regular for our first team, with maybe a half season in L1/2 before that.

Thanks for the info. The Rams' website has him in the U18 squad, but that must only be updated each season. I wonder what list he'll be on in September...

Posted (edited)

I’m a bit surprised that Smith wasn’t retained, given his form and partnership with Adams towards the end of the season. However, he might have been playing up to earn a new contract, either here or elsewhere. We can’t afford to hand Smith a contract and have him rest on his laurels, reverting to his pre-Christmas form. Warne probably considered the larger sample of Smiths’ work rather than just the last couple of games.

Despite his deficiencies, Smith is a good professional and deserves applause if we meet him and his new club in the cup.

Edited by SouthDerbysRam
name swap

2 hours ago, dajstrawb said:

Just passing on what I was told. As a 36 year old married bloke, can safely say becoming an ITK warrior strangely doesn’t appeal to me 😂 Does Clowes have a well documented 4 year Championship plan? (Y) Do we crave to develop players with re-sale value? (Y) Is Jack Thompson incredibly highly rated, having been linked with top 6 Premier League sides during the last 12 months? (Y) Maybe you shouldn’t be so instantly dismissive. May be crossed wires from the source, but then again maybe not 🙃

Well I'm a 68 year old divorcee, And I can safely say...you have got your wires crossed, At best he'll be on the bench, At worst he'll continue with his development.

If by some freak of nature he does become DCFCs regular number one...you can call me Alfeena 

1 hour ago, NottsRam77 said:

Hardly ripped up trees though has he.. at the tail end of his career now to.. given the position he plays 

at best hes a v willing runner who isnt afraid to break past the last man… an underrated trait. 

but his end product is average at best, hes brain dead when it comes to getting caught offside and whilst mobile hes not exactly putting the fear of god into a back line in that respect

there will be quicker and better available to us 

Before his injury he was in a purple spell where he looked like the only forward who could put ball in the back of the net. I think he’s someone who’d look better around better players. He’s got technical ability and pace.