Traitor or faithful?

Like all of you I cannot wait for Saturday. I was young when we last got automatic promotion so it's my first real taste of it in person, live at the game.

This temptation has made me question my own principles. I have seen many DCFC fans back us to fail and Bolton to make top 2 at 100/1.  This has now gone to 50/1. 

So my question to all is.. is it OK to bet against your own team? To set up a consolation prize?   Or is this as good as treason?

Edited by The_Sheriff

21 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

Like all of you I cannot wait for Saturday. I was young when we last got automatic promotion so it's my first real taste of it in person, live at the game.

This temptation has made me question my own principles. I have seen many DCFC fans back us to fail and Bolton to make top 2 at 100/1.  This has now gone to 50/1. 

So my question to all is.. is it OK to bet against your own team? To set up a consolation prize?   Or is this as good as treason?

There's a subtle difference depending on how much you stand to win and how it affects your support of the team on Saturday. 

On the one hand some of us are taking advantage of the ridiculous odds offered by the bookies, in order to ease the pain if things go wrong on Saturday.

Where it goes into the traitor territory is if you bet enough money whereby you actually want Derby to mess up. Like many moral decisions we all have a price. If someone offered anyone on here a free £100k bet on Derby missing out on the autos, I suspect that we would all put up with the play offs and take our chances.

If you look at it from one point view, a fan who has put £100 on to win £10,000 and is still cheering on the Rams on Saturday, is proving their loyalty to the Rams because they're willing the team to win even though it's costing them £10,000.

1 hour ago, ram59 said:

There's a subtle difference depending on how much you stand to win and how it affects your support of the team on Saturday. 

On the one hand some of us are taking advantage of the ridiculous odds offered by the bookies, in order to ease the pain if things go wrong on Saturday.

Where it goes into the traitor territory is if you bet enough money whereby you actually want Derby to mess up. Like many moral decisions we all have a price. If someone offered anyone on here a free £100k bet on Derby missing out on the autos, I suspect that we would all put up with the play offs and take our chances.

If you look at it from one point view, a fan who has put £100 on to win £10,000 and is still cheering on the Rams on Saturday, is proving their loyalty to the Rams because they're willing the team to win even though it's costing them £10,000.

So what you are saying is its OK to bet against your own as long as you want your bet to lose

38 minutes ago, The_Sheriff said:

So what you are saying is its OK to bet against your own as long as you want your bet to lose

Seems to be the gist of it.

Betting's a mugs game anyway. You're better off getting you mug from Paul Warne after scoring a goal for him. Apparently they all have the names of different companies on them with a web address that usually says sales@-----.com.

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

Yes, I just don't see the problem with it. 

I don't want Derby to lose, I'll be there cheering them on as much as anyone else on Saturday, in spite of not winning a few bob on the game. None of my actions will have any detrimental effect on Derby's chances of getting automatic promotion. As it happens it's not even my money, thanks to the joining offers, you put a first bet on an odds on match, get your money back, then put the bookies' bonus on Bolton, so I haven't put a penny of my money against Derby, technically.

I'm comfortable with it, those who aren't, then don't do it.

4 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I imagine several people have done it at a playoff final. 

In this particular scenario, it seems so far-fetched for Derby to lose by a few goals and Bolton to win by a few.

If Ferguson puts out the same side, one will be plenty.

Here's one for you.

The ad revenue on this forum increases following a defeat.

I never find myself taking much comfort from that, I would prefer to take the 3 points every single week.

If you're betting against your club and find yourself wanting us to lose for profit, that's when you have some serious questions to ask yourself in private.

15 minutes ago, Day said:

The ad revenue on this forum increases following a defeat.

It's a sad reflection that this is the case.

Is this because more unique posters come to the site after a defeat than a win?

Or because there is more posting and engagement after a defeat. Many of the people who post negatively after a defeat get replies back, then a debate is generated. Whereas people posting postively after a win and less likely to get replies.

It always makes my heart sink a little when the matchday thread only has about 15 pages on a Saturday evening after a straightforward 2-0 home win.

5 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

It's a sad reflection that this is the case.

Is this because more unique posters come to the site after a defeat than a win?

Or because there is more posting and engagement after a defeat. Many of the people who post negatively after a defeat get replies back, then a debate is generated. Whereas people posting postively after a win and less likely to get replies.

It always makes my heart sink a little when the matchday thread only has about 15 pages on a Saturday evening after a straightforward 2-0 home win.

As you say, negativity sparks debates, positivity rarely does, it will simply receive more reactions.

Same all over I would expect, Twitter trending topics are usually having a pop at something rather than celebrate something positive. 

I'm a semi-professional in betting and I cringe when I hear this kind of stuff. Two fundamental rules:

1) Betting shouldn't be emotionally loaded.

2) You only bet when the odds are higher than they should be. 

Seems like your bet would be against both of these rules.

Edited by Dimmu

For all those considering placing a bet on the oppo, just to make yourself feel better should tomorrow turn out to be a complete shitzfest, there are alternative methods to get that smug grin back on your face faster than you can suck those balls into the back of the net...

https://danielbeavis.muchloved.com/

#still open for business
#bets still being taken
#etc

1 hour ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Each to their own but if we somehow manage to do a Derby and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again, £500 will somewhat cushion the blow.

IMG_2657.png

It'll pay for your weekend out at Wembley.

3 hours ago, Dimmu said:

I'm a semi-professional in betting

Is that a translation error, I mean how do you become semi professional in betting? Especially when bookies don’t like profit making customers 

For those who think that these insurance bets are traitorous, how do you feel about supporters who actively damage the team's moral by booing them off the pitch or more commonly slagging individual players off on social media?

Those are 2 things which get to me, I'll criticise a player with my mates but never on social media or forums, where it is likely to harm team moral.