Traitor or faithful?

2 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Each to their own but if we somehow manage to do a Derby and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again, £500 will somewhat cushion the blow.

IMG_2657.png

Another way of looking at it, if you’re a season ticket holder, it pays for your season ticket. Bizarrely I remember doing it at the start of the play offs when we win against West Brom, with that sort of logic and was happy to lose a few hundred, but have never bothered since.

If I was superstitious I probably would, but we’re going to win, I’ll keep the money and my faith in my pocket this time 🐑👊

6 hours ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Each to their own but if we somehow manage to do a Derby and snatch defeat from the jaws of victory once again, £500 will somewhat cushion the blow.

IMG_2657.png

Can someone please confirm when we play? It's not the first time that I've seen Sunday!

I'll probably put a fiver on bolton tomorrow to go up automatically. For me it at least adds a gloss on defeat if i win a few quid. The way I see it it's a win win- either derby win in which i don't give a damn about the couple of quid or we lose and it adds something to the miserable experience of seeing us lose. 

48 minutes ago, richinspain said:

Can someone please confirm when we play? It's not the first time that I've seen Sunday!

I spotted that too.

I took it (pure guess) to mean all bets stand at that time, as opposed to it relating directly to the match/kick off time.

The league positions aren't gonna change between final whistle on Saturday to Sunday noon.

PS:  Yes... kick off is 12:30 Saturday... BST!  👍

1 hour ago, Mucker1884 said:

I spotted that too.

I took it (pure guess) to mean all bets stand at that time, as opposed to it relating directly to the match/kick off time.

The league positions aren't gonna change between final whistle on Saturday to Sunday noon.

Subject to alteration.

# SKY we do what we want.🙄

2 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I dunno, someone at EFL Towers is waiting for us to all run on the pitch so they can make a new rule up and press the deduct points button 😛 

giphy.gif.2335b8e6aa565b3d2d11bbee1d30e666.gif

4 hours ago, Mucker1884 said:

I spotted that too.

Oooooh, so if the odds are still the same we'll know whether to bet or not 

Money Balling GIF by IFHT Films

19 hours ago, Day said:

Is that a translation error, I mean how do you become semi professional in betting? Especially when bookies don’t like profit making customers 

Good question. In Finland the gambling is monopolised to Veikkaus which is government owned and controlled. They are not allowed to kick players out due winning too much. If I have understood correctly, they can close the playing rights if someone is losing money too much. 

It’s unique system, but so far they’ve won all the court cases against the monopoly claims. Mostly because their profit is used to help those who play too much, culture and sports. 

On 25/04/2024 at 19:03, ram59 said:

There's a subtle difference depending on how much you stand to win and how it affects your support of the team on Saturday. 

On the one hand some of us are taking advantage of the ridiculous odds offered by the bookies, in order to ease the pain if things go wrong on Saturday.

Where it goes into the traitor territory is if you bet enough money whereby you actually want Derby to mess up. Like many moral decisions we all have a price. If someone offered anyone on here a free £100k bet on Derby missing out on the autos, I suspect that we would all put up with the play offs and take our chances.

If you look at it from one point view, a fan who has put £100 on to win £10,000 and is still cheering on the Rams on Saturday, is proving their loyalty to the Rams because they're willing the team to win even though it's costing them £10,000.

Actually it would be costing them £100. 

My take is I never bet on us, because no amount of money would be as good as whatever we've won.

I do place insurance bets sometimes, but never to the point where I would want those bets to come in. So I had £20 on Bolton at 100/1 on the last day - it seemed crazy odds (which was an important factor) and £2000 would have been a little compensation for having to settle for a place in the playoffs. But I wouldn't have bet £100 on it as £10,000 becomes quite serious money and I might have quite liked the thought of getting that.  And I realize what constitutes "serious money" is personal and very different for every poster. 

So, for me, it cost me £2000 to win automatic promotion, and that's a price I was very happy to pay.

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

My take is I never bet on us, because no amount of money would be as good as whatever we've won.

I do place insurance bets sometimes, but never to the point where I would want those bets to come in. So I had £20 on Bolton at 100/1 on the last day - it seemed crazy odds (which was an important factor) and £2000 would have been a little compensation for having to settle for a place in the playoffs. But I wouldn't have bet £100 on it as £10,000 becomes quite serious money and I might have quite liked the thought of getting that.  And I realize what constitutes "serious money" is personal and very different for every poster. 

So, for me, it cost me £2000 to win automatic promotion, and that's a price I was very happy to pay.

I thought you said it cost you £20.

You never saw that £2,000, let alone spent it.

In fact, the only reason £2,000 even gets a mention, is because it was highly unlikely to have ever materialised.

Edited by Mucker1884

On 26/04/2024 at 09:20, Dimmu said:

I'm a semi-professional in betting and I cringe when I hear this kind of stuff. Two fundamental rules:

1) Betting shouldn't be emotionally loaded.

2) You only bet when the odds are higher than they should be. 

Seems like your bet would be against both of these rules.

I think when offered odds of 100/1 for a club who in very recent history have messed up against a poor side when only needing a point is higher than it should be hence skybet offering 66/1 at the same time. 

I also think betting can have a number of different functions including the following: 
1) trying to beat the bookies when you notice the odds don’t seem right for something 

2) hoping a silly bet comes in off a small stake (I won £1500 off a £1 bet 10 years ago). 

3) going against what you want to happen if the odds are good to soften the blow. 

I’d have been so miserable had derby messed it up absolutely inconsolable for a while.
I would however have had my play off tickets, next years season ticket and my summer holiday paid off for me.

It wouldn’t have made me happy - I’d still rather have the experience we had on Saturday because money can’t buy those feelings but I certainly can’t think of a downside to putting the bet on unless you couldn’t afford to lose the £25 stake. In which case you’ve broken the biggest rule in gambling. Don’t bet what you can’t afford to lose. 

2 hours ago, IlsonDerby said:

I think when offered odds of 100/1 for a club who in very recent history have messed up against a poor side when only needing a point is higher than it should be hence skybet offering 66/1 at the same time. 

I also think betting can have a number of different functions including the following: 
1) trying to beat the bookies when you notice the odds don’t seem right for something 

2) hoping a silly bet comes in off a small stake (I won £1500 off a £1 bet 10 years ago). 

3) going against what you want to happen if the odds are good to soften the blow. 

I’d have been so miserable had derby messed it up absolutely inconsolable for a while.
I would however have had my play off tickets, next years season ticket and my summer holiday paid off for me.

It wouldn’t have made me happy - I’d still rather have the experience we had on Saturday because money can’t buy those feelings but I certainly can’t think of a downside to putting the bet on unless you couldn’t afford to lose the £25 stake. In which case you’ve broken the biggest rule in gambling. Don’t bet what you can’t afford to lose. 

In my case it was opening a new account with a £10 bet where I won my money back and bet the free bets on Bolton, so there was no loss at all. So, in my eyes I didn't bet against Derby, but chose to accept 'compensation' from the betting company if Bolton had gone up.