Wildsmith

10 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

I'm shocked I tell ya 😁, A player celebrates on the lash when his club won the EPL then once the ale has kicked in some people get a little excited.

I and others on here may well know people who haven't won owt in their lives but still kick off after a few beers 😮

1 hour ago, Ram-Alf said:

I'm shocked I tell ya 😁, A player celebrates on the lash when his club won the EPL then once the ale has kicked in some people get a little excited.

I and others on here may well know people who haven't won owt in their lives but still kick off after a few beers 😮

I watched the Netflix documentary last night about the England Euro final at Wembley, I think half of the fans on Wembley way wouldn’t have known there was a match on by lunchtime, and it was an evening kickoff 😂

• 2 weeks later...

I suggested Wes Foderingham as a possibility to replace Wildsmith a couple of weeks ago . Many on here said he was rubbish . He has had the last laugh , becoming a Prem bench warmer at West Ham Utd .Can’t help thinking Wildsmith has been given the same sort of opportunity.

2 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I suggested Wes Foderingham as a possibility to replace Wildsmith a couple of weeks ago . Many on here said he was rubbish . He has had the last laugh , becoming a Prem bench warmer at West Ham Utd .Can’t help thinking Wildsmith has been given the same sort of opportunity.

Wes is bad though, really bad. 
Only reason he’d have been given this gig is because he’s ‘home grown’. 

Hands have got holes in. 

43 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

Wes is bad though, really bad. 
Only reason he’d have been given this gig is because he’s ‘home grown’. 

Hands have got holes in. 

Scott Carson - another “ not very good goalie “. How could Pep be so wrong ? Scott’s draws are full of medals though. 

20 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is absurd. Scott Carson was a fantastic goalkeeper and is winding his career down there. 

I thought the amount of goals he was conceding at Derby he was winding his career down with us first.

1 hour ago, IlsonDerby said:

This is absurd. Scott Carson was a fantastic goalkeeper and is winding his career down there. 

I liked him but most goalies split opinion , even Pickford . Try 90 mins between the sticks in blokes football and you can get a better understanding. 

21 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

I liked him but most goalies split opinion , even Pickford . Try 90 mins between the sticks in blokes football and you can get a better understanding. 

90 minutes? I played getting on half my career there before retiring at 53.

My best season? That would be 98/99. The team had a perfect record. Played 22, lost 22. We averaged 8 or 9 goals against every game. It could easily have been 20 a game, hence a good season. 8 or 9 a game good? IMO, yes. I'll explain...

I was 44 at the start of the season. The average age of the side was about 50. The back 4 were all good players but the left back, at 52, was the baby of the defence. The central defenders were 56 and 58 and the right back was 60. We were ahead come HT in a few games, level in some and, even when behind, there was usually just the one goal in it. Around the 65 to 70 minute mark, all 4 were done for. That was when the deluge started. Kept me on my toes but you can't stop 'em all although I did stop a lot. I would think a good 80%+ of our goals against came in the last 20 minutes of games. The opposition teams were all 20s to early 30 in age.

42 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

My best season? That would be 98/99. The team had a perfect record. Played 22, lost 22. We averaged 8 or 9 goals against every game. It could easily have been 20 a game, hence a good season. 8 or 9 a game good? IMO, yes. I'll explain...

I was 44 at the start of the season. The average age of the side was about 50. The back 4 were all good players but the left back, at 52, was the baby of the defence. The central defenders were 56 and 58 and the right back was 60. We were ahead come HT in a few games, level in some and, even when behind, there was usually just the one goal in it. Around the 65 to 70 minute mark, all 4 were done for. That was when the deluge started. Kept me on my toes but you can't stop 'em all although I did stop a lot. I would think a good 80%+ of our goals against came in the last 20 minutes of games. The opposition teams were all 20s to early 30 in age.

I only filled in once , never again . The only fun bit is flying out to waste everything in front of you . You think you are doing well , till the ball goes past you at 50 mph . Then you realise how hard it is . 

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

I only filled in once , never again . The only fun bit is flying out to waste everything in front of you . You think you are doing well , till the ball goes past you at 50 mph . Then you realise how hard it is . 

I was GK at junior school, but preferred playing as what we'd call a nr.8 now. The daft old b*gger of a Games teacher kept picking me as keeper. Even conceding 9 in one game (vs a very good team tbf) wouldn't shift him until a kid from the year below showed a bit of promise. First game he actually tried me as a nr 8, I scored a hat-trick and made 2 more. That was the last time I played in goal anywhere in a serious game, TF.

On 31/05/2024 at 09:15, MadAmster said:

Good effort mate. That was presumably before walking football was a thing for the older generation, so they had to keep going in the usual leagues......

I played in goal for a couple of seasons after having an arthroscopy(Cartilage)at Bretby hospital, The last position before the knackers yard, Played in Belgium(Easter tour)the goalkeeper in the Belgian Sunday team didn't show so I was asked to play for them against a team from Burton, We won 3-1 and I scored from a goal punt(with a good tail wind)

Got to a final at the Municipal Bowl and lost 4-1.Made a good few saves in my time...made some howlers too, Some very comical in my time 🙄, Best game was when we played Alfreton Blue Bell in the Cup on Chadd Park, I got the headlines in the "Green Un" for that game, They were a Prem side we were division 3, So a pasting was on the cards, We were 1-0 down after 5mins, Then I took a goal kick...one of my boot laces got caught in my studs when running to take a goal kick...I fell over, The pitch erupted in 😂 even the Ref 😔, It seemed to spur us on as we won 3-1, In the changing room after they all complained that we had Ringers in our team, We had 1, A good 35 year CH...Pete Jackson we sent for him as he lived on Meadow Lane in Chadd a 5min walk away 👌

And it's true...you have to be a little mad to be a keeper...but what great fun it was.

54 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Good effort mate. That was presumably before walking football was a thing for the older generation, so they had to keep going in the usual leagues......

Thanks. Weirdly, now most of us are 70+ most play golf. I'm out between 3 and 5 times a week on my 20 speed Guerciotti Alero for between 35km and 80km at around 30 kpu to keep the waistline reasonable. Down to 88kg come november, back up to 95 come April. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I reffed for several years but 3 years ago I had 2 breaks in my left fibula following a cycling accident. 2 Ops later I'd lost the ability to keep up with play for 90 minutes. Always said I was never going to be THAT ref... the one who never leaves the centre circle. Kept to my word and stopped.

On 31/05/2024 at 11:15, MadAmster said:

I hope you had a good excuse to retire at such a tender age!

57 minutes ago, MadAmster said:

Thanks. Weirdly, now most of us are 70+ most play golf. I'm out between 3 and 5 times a week on my 20 speed Guerciotti Alero for between 35km and 80km at around 30 kpu to keep the waistline reasonable. Down to 88kg come november, back up to 95 come April. Wash, rinse, repeat.

I reffed for several years but 3 years ago I had 2 breaks in my left fibula following a cycling accident. 2 Ops later I'd lost the ability to keep up with play for 90 minutes. Always said I was never going to be THAT ref... the one who never leaves the centre circle. Kept to my word and stopped.

Here you go Amster...take a trip down memory lane...courtesy of @Old Spalding Ram

I know lots of faces from the 70s and 80s...even myself in there

https://www.flickr.com/photos/111825167@N03/albums/72157648359360087/page4

8 hours ago, MadAmster said:

Did some reffing in the Hampshire leagues in the noughties. I found the fastest running was getting away from the games back to the car (always parked away from the ground).

That was after the 2nd ACL rupture.