Ipswich and Plymouth

Pondering the contrasting fortunes of last season's promoted teams. Both blitzed through League 1 last year.

Right now Ipswich sit top of the Championship, while Plymouth are on the verge of dropping back down.

Curious if anyone has any thoughts on what Ipswich have got so right, and what Plymouth have got so wrong?

Ipswich are confident with a goal scoring midfielder like Bryson was for us and loaning in Moore has given them a different option to attack with whilst Plymouth lost their manager which hurts them and without Whittaker they would be gone by now. Sheffield Wednesday started dreadfully but eventually found a manager who has organised them and given them a fighting chance to survive 

If I had to witness a team getting back to back promotions resulting in a prem spot, I guess Ipswich would be as bearable as any.  No particular fondness for them, but certainly no ill-feeling towards them either, and I recall a similarity between us both just after I got into the Rams (mid '70's).  If I bothered to check, I suspect that similarity has pretty much remained for the past 50 years.

I do however, remain jealous of their FA cup final win back in '78 though!

Good luck to 'em, I say. 

EDIT:

Didn't they hold the record for the number of failed Play Off attempts to reach the Prem at some stage?  It could be argued they are about due this promotion. 

Edited by Mucker1884

44 minutes ago, Mucker1884 said:

If I had to witness a team getting back to back promotions resulting in a prem spot, I guess Ipswich would be as bearable as any.  No particular fondness for them, but certainly no ill-feeling towards them either, and I recall a similarity between us both just after I got into the Rams (mid '70's).  If I bothered to check, I suspect that similarity has pretty much remained for the past 50 years.

I do however, remain jealous of their FA cup final win back in '78 though!

Good luck to 'em, I say. 

EDIT:

Didn't they hold the record for the number of failed Play Off attempts to reach the Prem at some stage?  It could be argued they are about due this promotion. 

Yes they hold the record along with us.

We've both reached the playoffs a record eight times and only been promoted once each. They've only reached the final once though.

I'd say we're both due a bit of success.

Edited by Rammy03

Well dare I say I watched Ipswich at Leicester (don’t hurt me) earlier this season at the King Power and thought Ipswich looked awful and that Derby would batter them easy, I’m not biased much. 🐏 

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

On a tangent, but how amusing would it be to see Leicester bottle promotion after being so far ahead and with such a financial advantage over others...

But Nottingham Forest’s statement on their spending said it was impossible to compete in the championship without parachute payments 

11 minutes ago, littleover ram said:

But Nottingham Forest’s statement on their spending said it was impossible to compete in the championship without parachute payments 

It'd be terrific if Ipswich confirm promotion before Forest's appeal is heard. "Impossible? I put it to you Mr De Marco that far from being impossible, Ipswich Town have shown that it is anything but impossible! Appeal dismissed. Have another -4 points for your arrogance."

4 hours ago, Crewton said:

It'd be terrific if Ipswich confirm promotion before Forest's appeal is heard. "Impossible? I put it to you Mr De Marco that far from being impossible, Ipswich Town have shown that it is anything but impossible! Appeal dismissed. Have another -4 points for your arrogance."

Ipswich a far from perfect themselves though, their last 2 seasons in Lg1 show operating losses of £14.4m in 21/22 and £21.8m last season, when they got promoted. A note in their accounts expect them to have increased losses when in the Championship.

So many times clubs appear to have won promotion with limited resources with it only becoming clear nearly 12 months later, that the club incurred massive losses to achieve it. Gallant little Bournemouth twice gained promotion on the back of eye watering losses, around £50m in 21/22. Even little Luton's costs last season were over twice their turnover.

I think the difference between Plymouth and Ipswich is that Ipswich had more players ready to step up and were more pragmatic with style at times. Plymouth also had a lot of loans in that side and have lost key players like Azaz for example. The manager loss is also quite damaging for them. Though the way it’s going at Stoke they might be able to get Schumacher back end of this season. 

13 minutes ago, Gritstone Ram said:

Ipswich pulled it out the bag again tonight. 

A bit fortunate, a draw about right. Back to the thread, Plymouth having the smallest wage bill in the division might be one of the reasons.

On 29/03/2024 at 22:19, Rammy03 said:

Yes they hold the record along with us.

We've both reached the playoffs a record eight times and only been promoted once each. They've only reached the final once though.

I'd say we're both due a bit of success.

I think we shared the record for longest stay in the championship too. Along with Forest. So if we can share a bit of their fortune, form, whatever and follow their trajectory, that would be nice.