Hourihane

BatRam

Hes obviously had an incredible career and helped us out no end in our hour of need but would you still be starting him?

Hes seems to not be able to track back or apply pressure and i seem to think we play much better when more mobile players come on like tommo ,smith or even fornah (even though hes had barely any game time).

i know its awkward as hes captain and as i said one of our only players thats played top tier football other than gayle.

1 minute ago, BatRam said:

Hes obviously had an incredible career and helped us out no end in our hour of need but would you still be starting him?

Hes seems to not be able to track back or apply pressure and i seem to think we play much better when more mobile players come on like tommo ,smith or even fornah (even though hes had barely any game time).

i know its awkward as hes captain and as i said one of our only players thats played top tier football other than gayle.

I'd play him in a 3 but not in a 2 and maybe not at all at Pompey.

I know if it's 1-1 with 10 to go v Carlisle and the ball is dropping to the edge of the area, I know who I want from midfield on the end of it.

2 minutes ago, BatRam said:

hes supposed to be a brilliant set piece taker and has a decent shot on him but have we really seen any of that?

Not sure about ‘we’ but I have…..but then maybe I’ve been looking for the good in him as I think he’s a decent player.

5 goals, 7 assists plus lots of good deliveries e.g Cashin’s header that hit the post v …was it Reading?

Granted, he’s not scored any worldie free kicks as far as I can remember 

1 hour ago, sage said:

I'd play him in a 3 but not in a 2 and maybe not at all at Pompey.

I know if it's 1-1 with 10 to go v Carlisle and the ball is dropping to the edge of the area, I know who I want from midfield on the end of it.

I would add that if Wilson plays instead of Ward, that makes Hourihane's inclusion more likely. 

16 minutes ago, BatRam said:

hes supposed to be a brilliant set piece taker and has a decent shot on him but have we really seen any of that?

Last season it was 7 goals and 10 assists in 44 league one appearances, this season it’s 5 goals and 7 assists in 35 league one games and counting. Whilst not as consistent as I’d hoped he would be from set pieces, he’s still delivered good numbers and as @sage  implied, Hourihane can certainly still strike a ball. Some of his goals have been decisive this season. 

I mentioned on one of the matchday threads recently that he’s showing a bit of needle and aggression which I like, and I think he’s showing commitment and leadership especially in the run-in so far, up and cheering the lads on from the bench, not sulking, geeing others up.

I reckon he’s going to leave in the summer and although he’s not as mobile as he was, he is still contributing to the cause so for me he will have a part to play in the next 7 games whether from the bench or starting so he can leave on a high. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram

12 minutes ago, Steadybreeze said:

He's played his part the same as everyone else has so far. Of course he can't press or get back so much but he has the respect of the squad and was noticeably organising things at Bristol Rovers. 

Still an important part of the squad.

Spot on mate

We've probably not seen value for money this season, but if you accept that in context he was seen as a good signing at the time and we were desperate, you can't really complain.

Like others have said, he's leaning in to the old head, using his experience and organising/cheerleading everyone on side of things and good for him. Doesn't appear to have an ego and he does score goals so if we do need one to take us up, i'd be bringing him on over a Fornah or a Thompson. 

4 hours ago, BatRam said:

I don’t see it consistently enough unfortunately. Ward, Elder and Sibley can all deliver a decent dead ball, so I struggle to see justification for him starting.

Edited by DiggerB

He’s the only one who willingly takes the ball of the back four.

He offers more offensively than Thompson or Smith.

Agree our midfield can look weak at times with him in there but he’s still an asset who he himself knows is probably calling in a day at the end of this summer. For that alone, I hope fans give him the respect he deserves for an excellent career.

5 hours ago, BatRam said:

You have to be watching to see this - maybe not often enough for you but he has goals and assists this season. The argument is not whether he can do it but other aspects of his game - like ability to effectively tackle and speed.

Your post is just ignorant when presented unqualified as it is.