How would YOU set us up currently?

I'm seeing a lot of fans on here confident we'll get 16 points from our remaining games , but where are the goals coming from? And how would you set up? Same as normal with waghorn up top?

Edited by dcfcreece1601

1 minute ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

I'm seeing a lot of fans on here confident we'll get 16 points from our remaining games , but where are the goals coming from? And how would you set up? Same as normal with waghorn up top?

352 for the next game by necessity.

Waggy and NML up front with Adams, Smith and Hourihane in the middle.

2 minutes ago, dcfcreece1601 said:

Same as you suggest. NML has got another purple patch in him with a few goals I feel coming soon, if Waggy Barks and a few others chip in with a few until we have Gayle or Collins back we'll just be alright.

Depends on fitness. Back 3 pick themselves, but need attacking energy at wing back. Ebou essential, with Houri (captain plays) I’d then have 3 attackers, with NML, Waggy +1. Need to see what CBT can do soon. Also like Barks.

So 343, but can also put an extra midfielder in there when facing certain teams/formations

Barks, NML and Gayle really seemed to have gelled as a front 3. Gutted these injuries have hit now.  

Sounds like Barks is also injured so it’s an opportunity for CBT or Wilson maybe.

I orefer NML in the wider areas rather than part of a front two.

As another poster said we may have to play a system out of necessity with who is available.  Wonder if Callum Elder will have a big part to play, moving Sibley further up. 

Best Regards 

Gangway D from the Terrace 

26 minutes ago, r4derby said:

Depends on fitness. Back 3 pick themselves, but need attacking energy at wing back. Ebou essential, with Houri (captain plays) I’d then have 3 attackers, with NML, Waggy +1. Need to see what CBT can do soon. Also like Barks.

So 343, but can also put an extra midfielder in there when facing certain teams/formations

CBT is an odd one. Injured as soon as he arrives, when he’s been fit he hasn’t had a great deal of game time and when he has played I haven’t seen him make much of an impact (admittedly, more often than not he’s not been on the pitch long enough). Like you, I’m waiting to see what he can do and why he was PW’s number one target. Perhaps our current injuries challenges will give him the opportunity but I’m not sure in what position or what formation.

I’d go with either 3-4-3 or 3-5-2, depending who we’re playing and who’s available.  Injuries and fitness of those available may dictate 3-5-2 against Northampton but I’d prefer a 3-4-3 set up.  I think we can bit more attacking and go for it, a bit like Bristol Rovers away.  Adam’s definitely starts in 1 of the 2 midfield positions with either Hourihane or Smith.

But against Portsmouth for example, and maybe Blackpool, we’d probably benefit from the extra man in midfield so I’d prefer 3-5-2, similar to the 2nd half yesterday.  I do think Thompson needs to be 1 of the 3 midfielders in a 3-5-2 for his energy and he can support the attack.  Then it would be Adams plus either Hourihane or Smith.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

Wildsmith

Nelson       Forsyth       Cashin   

Ward                                                     Elder

Adams          Smith

NML                                                     CBT

Waghorn                          

I'd use Sibley and Thompson off the bench. I find Sibley is best when he comes off the bench, as opposed to starting and Thompson looked really good yesterday. He has the sort of movement that could flourish against tired opponents.

Id probably rotate Ward and Wilson depending on their condition and form, but still utilise the non-starter off the bench.

I might have Tony Weston on the bench in case Waghorn needs to come off, but I don't think now is the right time to introduce him to regular first team appearances. Unless we are 3 or more goals up with 15 minutes or so left. IMO Dajaune Brown should be left at Gateshead to support his long term development, so I wouldn't consider recalling him unless Waghorn gets injured and there's no-one returning from injury.

3-4-3…….the back three pick themselves for the rest of the season after yesterday!

Ward, Wilson, Sibley & Elder………Wilson & Sibley for me at wing back.

Adams and one other ………..I’d go with Smith, seems in decent form.

Mendez has got to play wide, Barks if fit or Blackett-Taylor 

Up front……………….whoever’s off the treatment table first.

We’ve got seven matches left, three against the current worst performing teams in this league.IMG_1421.thumb.jpeg.a4416d49e08b27cb3f1a8f50e6496408.jpeg

Blackpool, might be tricky, Orient at home they’ve got nothing to play for, just a day out for their fans.  Pompey and Wycombe away, no problem.

Im predicting the promotion party at Cambridge, champions celebration against Carlisle.

Remember you read it here first………….yesterday was massive. 👍😁

3 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

We’ve got seven matches left, three against the current worst performing teams in this league.IMG_1421.thumb.jpeg.a4416d49e08b27cb3f1a8f50e6496408.jpeg

Blackpool, might be tricky, Orient at home they’ve got nothing to play for, just a day out for their fans.  Pompey and Wycombe away, no problem.

One of the things in our favour from now on is the lack of teams with something to play for potentially.

Northampton - 13 points off playoffs, 15 from relegation

Blackpool - Are in the hunt for 6th, so something to play for

Portsmouth - Battling us, so will want a result

Wycombe - 13 points off playoffs, 15 from relegation

Leyton - 5 points off playoffs atm, but may be out of contention by the game. I'd be surprised if at least 1 of the playoff chasers haven't pulled away from them by this point.

Cambridge - In a relegation battle, but teams at the bottom are there for a reason at this point of the season

Carlisle - Will be done by this point. One last chance for there fans to experience L1.

1 hour ago, Tamworthram said:

CBT is an odd one. Injured as soon as he arrives, when he’s been fit he hasn’t had a great deal of game time and when he has played I haven’t seen him make much of an impact (admittedly, more often than not he’s not been on the pitch long enough). Like you, I’m waiting to see what he can do and why he was PW’s number one target. Perhaps our current injuries challenges will give him the opportunity but I’m not sure in what position or what formation.

Remember when he wasn't playing for Charlton just before he signed? Charlton said he was injured. We all assumed it was due to the transfer etc, but what if he was actually injured? Sounds like he's not been fully fit for a while.

6 minutes ago, oodledoodle said:

Remember when he wasn't playing for Charlton just before he signed? Charlton said he was injured. We all assumed it was due to the transfer etc, but what if he was actually injured? Sounds like he's not been fully fit for a while.

I hope this is the case.

I think the problem he has had is that he may have not been fully fit physically when he signed, but now I wouldn't be surprised if he is lacking match fitness.

11 hours ago, sage said:

352 for the next game by necessity.

Waggy and NML up front with Adams, Smith and Hourihane in the middle.

Completely agree with this

With Gayle out, all our attacking impetuous is going to depend on the wing backs. I’d go with Wilson and Elder (if fit enough). 

A middle three of Adams, Thompson and either Smith (allowing Thompson to drift forward) or Sibley in the 10 role.

Hourihane firmly on the bench. 

1 hour ago, Nuwtfly said:

Completely agree with this

With Gayle out, all our attacking impetuous is going to depend on the wing backs. I’d go with Wilson and Elder (if fit enough). 

A middle three of Adams, Thompson and either Smith (allowing Thompson to drift forward) or Sibley in the 10 role.

Hourihane firmly on the bench. 

If you want attacking, you’d want Sibley, not Elder in the left position. 

Mad seeing people leave out Barkhuizen. He’s one of the few we have who make runs off the ball!

Frankly, I’d be trying to figure out some combination of NML, Barkhuizen and CBT as that’s the trio with the pace and athleticism to cause teams problems. Then just hope we have a striker other than Waghorn fit asap. 

Wildsmith

Nelson    Forsyth   Cashin

Wilson                                      Elder

Smith      Adams

Sibley
       NML                               CBT

9 hours ago, Srg said:

If you want attacking, you’d want Sibley, not Elder in the left position. 

Mad seeing people leave out Barkhuizen. He’s one of the few we have who make runs off the ball!

Frankly, I’d be trying to figure out some combination of NML, Barkhuizen and CBT as that’s the trio with the pace and athleticism to cause teams problems. Then just hope we have a striker other than Waghorn fit asap. 

I left Barkhuizen out because he's injured. 

9 minutes ago, sage said:

I left Barkhuizen out because he's injured. 

I know he and Ward went off as a precaution, but do we know they won't make Northampton?

Have we had it confirmed how long Gayle is out for exactly.

I have been away and the last I heard it was between 2 and 8 weeks. If it is 2 weeks, we have an international break coming up and hopefully Gayle will be there or there abouts. Even if 4 weeks he will miss the next 2 maybe the Portsmouth game (which would be a shame).

Up the RAMS