How would YOU set us up currently?

Just now, Srg said:

I know he and Ward went off as a precaution, but do we know they won't make Northampton?

Warne implied Ward would be ok but Barkhuizen wouldn't, so I went with that.

Therefore with only 2 forwards ready to start and 2 on the bench, we need attacking wing backs.

5 minutes ago, BathRam72 said:

Have we had it confirmed how long Gayle is out for exactly.

I have been away and the last I heard it was between 2 and 8 weeks. If it is 2 weeks, we have an international break coming up and hopefully Gayle will be there or there abouts. Even if 4 weeks he will miss the next 2 maybe the Portsmouth game (which would be a shame).

Up the RAMS

We play during the international break, our game didn't get postponed.

1 hour ago, Srg said:

I know he and Ward went off as a precaution, but do we know they won't make Northampton?

Warne said in his interview that Ward was precautionary whereas Barkz sounded a bit more of an injury. 

Hopefully its not a long absence but not ideal with Gayle already out. 

Im going to be different with a back 4 Smith at RB and Fozzy LB.

Adams Hourihane central with Sibley. 

NML and Wilson wide but CBT to come on at some point and Washington up front if he's fit. 

Sibs and one of Adams/Hourihane have freedom to break forward. 

To be honest we've played so many different line ups this season and they've all looked good at times poor at others I'm not strongly wedded to any.   

13 minutes ago, Srg said:

I get we are struggling with players available, I just don't understand how we can keep watching Hourihane and then put him in the team the game after

Well at least the current set up (w CH starting) avoids the Bird Hourihane combo in mf which cost us dearly early in the season. Adams and Smith paper over the cracks

Hourihane seems to pace himself for 90 minutes. I don’t understand why he is not on a fitness regime that tunes him for 60 mins and why he’s not told that he needs to come off after that wanting to throw up. Otherwise our mf is like Swiss cheese 

strongly disagree with people who say ‘the captain has to play’. 

Just now, kevinhectoring said:

Well at least the current set up (w CH starting) avoids the Bird Hourihane combo in mf which cost us dearly early in the season. Adams and Smith paper over the cracks

Hourihane seems to pace himself for 90 minutes. I don’t understand why he is not on a fitness regime that tunes him for 60 mins and why he’s not told that he needs to come off after that wanting to throw up. Otherwise our mf is like Swiss cheese 

strongly disagree with people who say ‘the captain has to play’. 

Fitness is not Hourihane's issue. He's a fit guy, could probably run a marathon tomorrow if he had to. He just can't sprint, twist, turn, jump... there's no burst or explosion in there at all. If he gets caught up the pitch, we are screwed. Him gassing out for an hour to get brought off wouldn't help any of that.

If you want an experienced player, then it's Smith until Bird is back. I'd really like Fornah to be fit and see what he can do in there next to Ebou. A midfield with true athleticism.

2 minutes ago, Srg said:

Fitness is not Hourihane's issue. He's a fit guy, could probably run a marathon tomorrow if he had to. He just can't sprint, twist, turn, jump... there's no burst or explosion in there at all. If he gets caught up the pitch, we are screwed. Him gassing out for an hour to get brought off wouldn't help any of that.

If you want an experienced player, then it's Smith until Bird is back. I'd really like Fornah to be fit and see what he can do in there next to Ebou. A midfield with true athleticism.

Too late to resort to Fornah imo but wish we’d seen more of him earlier in the season 

Understand your comments about CH but for me fitness is a part of the issue. Too often he needs to make a defensive run but instead he pulls up. 

For me, you don't change a winning team, so bar injuries we stick to the same formation.  As for personnel, if Gayle is going to be out then it's Waggy up top in his stead.  Depending now Northampton play in the middle of the park, I'd replace Hourihanne with Smith or Thompson because he looked devoid of ideas, and the legs weren't there either.  As for Barks & Ward, if their injuries are still not worth risking, I'd put Wilson in for Ward, and go with Blackett-Taylor for Barks, sink or swim time for him...

1 hour ago, kevinhectoring said:

Too late to resort to Fornah imo but wish we’d seen more of him earlier in the season 

Understand your comments about CH but for me fitness is a part of the issue. Too often he needs to make a defensive run but instead he pulls up. 

I understand that view, mine is more than he knows he can’t make it rather than him being too tired to do it. 

1 hour ago, Srg said:

I understand that view, mine is more than he knows he can’t make it rather than him being too tired to do it. 

I think that if you want to get the most out of CH, you need to have an Ebou Adams either side of him to do the running. 

4 minutes ago, Chesterfield_Ram said:

I think that if you want to get the most out of CH, you need to have an Ebou Adams either side of him to do the running. 

And if you're having to do that, you'd want it to be someone better than Hourihane you're doing it for!

1 hour ago, DesertRam said:

Wow, can you imagine getting Will back....

I have always been convinced that this would happen one day. Perhaps not yet though. He’s still only 28.

A Seth Johnson-esque return to get us promoted to the Prem would be magical, even if it’s in another 4 or 5 years. At least he would find it easy to fit back in, knowing that a 93-year-old Fozzie was always in space and available for an out ball on the left, zimmer frame notwithstanding.