What are you reading? 📚

I’ve always been a bookworm. I usually get through 30-40 books a year. I’m currently reading Uncommon Type by Tom Hanks. Wasn’t sure what to expect but I’m pleasantly surprised. It’s well written and very easy reading. 

I’d love to hear what you’re reading, what your favourite book is, or some recommendations 📚

I recommend you try Mrs England. The story of the wife of a wealthy mill owner during the industrial revolution, told through the eyes of a young nanny. Though set in Yorkshire I imagined it as Derbyshire and it very much reminded me of the mills and large houses in the Derbyshire Dales. A great read.
https://www.waterstones.com/book/mrs-england/stacey-halls/9781838772888 

48 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

I recommend you try Mrs England. The story of the wife of a wealthy mill owner during the industrial revolution, told through the eyes of a young nanny. Though set in Yorkshire I imagined it as Derbyshire and it very much reminded me of the mills and large houses in the Derbyshire Dales. A great read.
https://www.waterstones.com/book/mrs-england/stacey-halls/9781838772888 

I have this but haven’t read it yet. I loved The Foundling by Stacey Halls. I saw her speak at Derby Book Festival a few years ago 

36 minutes ago, Eddie said:

"Making it So" - Patrick Stewart's autobiography

I don’t read many autobiographies. Which is surprising as I’m quite nosey 😂I’ve got Alan Rickman’s on my kindle though. 

42 minutes ago, B4’s Sister said:

I don’t read many autobiographies. Which is surprising as I’m quite nosey 😂I’ve got Alan Rickman’s on my kindle though. 

Me neither - The Memsahib (aka my wife) bought it me for my birthday last week.

6 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

No, this is really interesting. I wangled my way into a talk with two U.N. Executives on Tuesday. One of them was the negotiator for the 1999 Air India hijacked plane. The theory and cultural considerations were really interesting to hear. Have you read Surrounded by Idiots?@Van der MoodHoover

I have not, but now you've prompted me I'm going to take a look.

Being a mathematician by education I tend to start on topics from the numerical direction, but I've just read a precis of the book you've mentioned and it does look interesting.

Thanks Claire 👍😉

I've just finished That Old Country Music by Kevin Barry, an enjoyable and quirky collection of short stories set generally in the west of Ireland.

I'd previously read his novel Night Boat to Tangiers, about 2 Irish drug smugglers trying to quit the game while searching for the estranged daughter of one of them in southern Spain, which was an entertaining read. It's subsequently been made into a film starring Michael Fassbender.

7 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

No, this is really interesting. I wangled my way into a talk with two U.N. Executives on Tuesday. One of them was the negotiator for the 1999 Air India hijacked plane. The theory and cultural considerations were really interesting to hear. Have you read Surrounded by Idiots?@Van der MoodHoover

Is Surrounded by Idiots a good read?  I love all that sort of stuff and different personality styles.

Edited by FlyBritishMidland

A favourite book of mine is Waterlog by Roger Deakin, essentially a random journey through Britain wild swimming (written before it was a ‘thing’). A beautiful read if you appreciate nature and the sensuality of swimming.

Best book recently was My Effin Life by Geddy Lee, obviously best if you are a fan of Canadian rock band Rush, but has some really thoughtful content on his family’s experience in the holocaust and is pretty well written for an autobiography.

8 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

If you enjoyed that you might like When the dust settles by Lucy Easthorpe - a really enjoyable read by someone involved (seemingly) in every disaster’s aftermath for the last 40 years.  I know it doesn’t sound interesting but it was! 
I’ve just started Essex Dogs by Dan Jones which is historical fiction - well written and researched - and just finished Ryan Conway’s Pride before the fall - well written but nothing of too much note given all the NDAs in place. What was most interesting was the number of people who wouldn’t talk to him, far more than just Stephen Pearce.