What are you reading? 📚

On 02/03/2024 at 05:32, Crewton said:

I read The Heart's Invisible Furies and really enjoyed that (reminded me allot of William Boyd's "Any Human Heart"), so I might try some more of his in the future but, as you say, it's difficult to get round to reading all those on my list.

If you like Irish literature, or just want to read a bit more of it, I can recommend a fair few.

This is a good read, collection of short stories from new Irish authors. When I say 'new' it was released in 1996 but still a lovely read of small slices of Irish life.

https://www.amazon.com/Feminists-Go-Swimming-Michael-Collins/dp/1857999789

2 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

I’m at the Derby Book Festival today for a few event. Local authorJoanna Burn talking about The Bone Hunters, Stef Penney talking about The Beasts of Paris, and Sophie Elmhirst talking about Maurice and Maralyn. There’s still tickets for Jonathan Wilson’s interview on Two Brothers: the life and times of Bobby and Jack Charlton on Monday evening, if that’s if it’s of interest to anyone. https://www.derbybookfestival.co.uk/events/jonathan-wilson-two-brothers-the-life-and-times-of-bobby-and-jackie-charlton

Jonathan Wilson is brilliant. Heard him talk a bit about book and sounds really interesting.

I haven't read fiction for a couple of years, although I used to read a LOT.

Now I read mainly marketing books, but I'm ¾ of the way through Food for Life by Rim Spector. Very, very good.

I love how he differentiates between the different levels of research and how it's so easily cherry-picked and skewed.

For example, he says they are very confident that avocados are great for you, but the reality is that there are very few controlled studies done to prove it.

He frequently will say, but we need more research or, the research is sketchy and poorly undertaken.

And he will always conduct meta studies when he can.

He also exploded a few myths about fats and cholesterol and took a sword to the vitamin and supplement industry.

There is no hard date to prove that fish is better for us than red meat if the read meat is high enough quality. I had no clue how much fish we eat is farmed and how different salmon is now from 30 years ago and not in a good way.

He skewered pig farming as most of our bacon comes from Denmark, where the conditions are appalling. 30% of piglets die soon after birth, frequently because they are suffocated by their mother sitting on them because there's no room.

I knew chicken nuggets weren't actually good for you, but not that that the meat is pressured hosed off carcasses and then effectively glued back together.

I highly recommend this book, it's a real game changer and Mrs Badger has already signed up for the Zoe Project.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Life-Science-Eating-bestseller/dp/1529919665

2 hours ago, Bob The Badger said:

I knew chicken nuggets weren't actually good for you, but not that that the meat is pressured hosed off carcasses and then effectively glued back together.

I highly recommend this book, it's a real game changer and Mrs Badger has already signed up for the Zoe Project.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Life-Science-Eating-bestseller/dp/1529919665

Same for crab sticks, that are just pressure washed fish skeletons.

Be careful with the Zoe project - sounds like a good idea till you realise your data is theirs. Extract your conspiracy theory as far as you want from there but good luck getting life insurance in twenty years if Zoe sold your data to the provider and they know you're high risk cholesterol levels. As I say, depends on your level of trust but the base fact is that they own all the data they harvest.

On 02/03/2024 at 18:06, Crewton said:

Great - I haven't read that yet, so do tell me what you think of it.

@Crewton I’ve just finished The Queen of Dirt Island. I loved it. Even though every chapter is only three pages long, they all feel like short stories. The way each chapter works together to tell the whole story is lovely. It’s only taken a few days to read as I didn’t want to put it down. Will definitely read more Donal Ryan 

27 minutes ago, B4’s Sister said:

@Crewton I’ve just finished The Queen of Dirt Island. I loved it. Even though every chapter is only three pages long, they all feel like short stories. The way each chapter works together to tell the whole story is lovely. It’s only taken a few days to read as I didn’t want to put it down. Will definitely read more Donal Ryan 

This is next on my to read list. Will probably be starting it tomorrow or Sunday. 

I'm just beginning "The Broken Afternoon" by Simon Mason, a crime thriller set in Oxford. I don't read allot of crime novels, but I look out for highly recommended ones and this fits the bill. I'll report back when I've finished it.

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

Hopefully your post makes me think you use a Kindle! So I'd like to ask a question if I may. 

Does the Kindle connect to the internet directly, in order to download books? Or do you need to download to a pc and then transfer? 

Probably a dumb question, but I've never used one. Was thinking of maybe getting one, but I don't have a PC. 

Edited by ketteringram

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Hopefully your post makes me think you use a Kindle! So I'd like to ask a question if I may. 

Does the Kindle connect to the internet directly, in order to download books? Or do you need to download to a pc and then transfer? 

Probably a dumb question, but I've never used one. Was thinking of maybe getting one, but I don't have a PC. 

I use the Kindle app on my phone & iPad, though almost always use my ipad to read, in bed, with black screen and white text, to keep the light pollution down.

For some reason, you have to buy books through the Amazon website, via your browser (and then they automatically appear on the app, in the library section). You can't buy books from the Amazon app - I've never understood why this isn't possible.

1 minute ago, Wolfie said:

I use the Kindle app on my phone & iPad, though almost always use my ipad to read, in bed, with black screen and white text, to keep the light pollution down.

For some reason, you have to buy books through the Amazon website, via your browser (and then they automatically appear on the app, in the library section). You can't buy books from the Amazon app - I've never understood why this isn't possible.

I've used the kindle app on my phone. I'm wondering how you get them onto a kindle device.