What are you reading? 📚

3 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

I am a swimmer but have never been wild swimming. Swimming is so relaxing. I love nature too.  The Salt Path by Raynor Winn is a good read. She has written two follow ups too. 

You will like Waterlog then and yes the Salt Path is very inspiring, have walked several sections of the SW coast path since reading it!

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

Creating books is a really slow process. I moved to Penguin a couple of years ago, but first you have to contract an author to write a book, then they must do the hard graft of writing, and we go through numerous drafts together, and then it moves into production and all the stages there. My very first book from start to finish like that publishes on Thursday and it's a great story - proper narrative nonfiction that follows Chris Thorogood's lifelong obsession with Rafflesia, the world's biggest flowers, and his quest to save them. Lovely review in the Guardian to kick things off. Before this book, I was pretty blind to plants. Now I notice them so much more. It's called Pathless Forest if anyone wants to try out a nature adventure story.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/mar/01/pathless-forest-by-chris-thorogood-review-love-letter-to-a-monstrous-flower

Rafflesia.thumb.jpeg.994ee2b71c6427f4c150fa2b518de27f.jpeg

Great review! Sounds very interesting 🙂 hope it sells well for you! I feel the pain on writing, writing a book myself, albeit not with such a prestigious publisher and it's definitely hard going haha. 

47 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Great review! Sounds very interesting 🙂 hope it sells well for you! I feel the pain on writing, writing a book myself, albeit not with such a prestigious publisher and it's definitely hard going haha. 

Great stuff! As I said when starting the AI thread, I'm also writing a book on that for a different publisher at the moment. And, like you, it's currently hard going haha. What's yours for our future reading pleasure?

1 minute ago, Carl Sagan said:

Great stuff! As I said when starting the AI thread, I'm also writing a book on that for a different publisher at the moment. And, like you, it's currently hard going haha. What's yours for our future reading pleasure?

Mine is a monograph of my PhD discussing Carl Schmitt's exceptional sovereignty in relation to Iran and Syria 🙂 It's called "Carl Schmitt in the Middle East: Unstable Decisionism and the Failure of Political Orders". I'm trying to make it easily readable and am talking to the publisher to make it reasonably priced so it might shift a few copies 🙂 

28 minutes ago, Leeds Ram said:

Mine is a monograph of my PhD discussing Carl Schmitt's exceptional sovereignty in relation to Iran and Syria 🙂 It's called "Carl Schmitt in the Middle East: Unstable Decisionism and the Failure of Political Orders". I'm trying to make it easily readable and am talking to the publisher to make it reasonably priced so it might shift a few copies 🙂 

Confess it sounds somewhat niche, but I have no doubt it will be ace. Happy writing!

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Creating books is a really slow process. I moved to Penguin a couple of years ago, but first you have to contract an author to write a book, then they must do the hard graft of writing, and we go through numerous drafts together, and then it moves into production and all the stages there. My very first book from start to finish like that publishes on Thursday and it's a great story - proper narrative nonfiction that follows Chris Thorogood's lifelong obsession with Rafflesia, the world's biggest flowers, and his quest to save them. Lovely review in the Guardian to kick things off. Before this book, I was pretty blind to plants. Now I notice them so much more. It's called Pathless Forest if anyone wants to try out a nature adventure story.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2024/mar/01/pathless-forest-by-chris-thorogood-review-love-letter-to-a-monstrous-flower

Rafflesia.thumb.jpeg.994ee2b71c6427f4c150fa2b518de27f.jpeg

Congratulations on getting published. This flower looks fascinating 

4 minutes ago, B4’s Sister said:

Congratulations on getting published. This flower looks fascinating 

Thanks, but in this case I'm only the book publisher. This is one by someone else (the botanist Chris Thorogood) where I'm just his editor. But it's a great book. He transports you into the rainforest with him.

22 hours ago, B4’s Sister said:

This sounds interesting 

If you are in interested in "Pendergast-series" I recommend to start with The Book of the Dead. It is a little like Sherlock Holmes fighting crime with a bit of horror story within. But I must warn you that you might not be able to put the book down once you have started.

2 hours ago, Dean (hick) Saunders said:

Currently on Dead Zone by Stephen King.

Oldie, but quite enjoying it. Read most of his other stuff, I think his best are sometimes the shorter ones.

My SK top 3 are:

1) Duma Key

2) Mr Mercedes (and all  Bill Hodges Trilogy)

3) The Green Mile

Love SK.  I’ve really enjoyed the Bill Hodges trilogy. The Mr Mercedes tv series was pretty good. Have you read The Outsider or Holly? I love Holly as a character. I’ve got Billy Summers and Needful Things waiting to be read. 

On 02/03/2024 at 10:08, B4’s Sister said:

I am a swimmer but have never been wild swimming. Swimming is so relaxing. I love nature too.  The Salt Path by Raynor Winn is a good read. She has written two follow ups too. 

The Salt Path and the follow up are great reads. The Salt Path is being made in to a tv series I think.

I’m at the Derby Book Festival today for a few event. Local authorJoanna Burn talking about The Bone Hunters, Stef Penney talking about The Beasts of Paris, and Sophie Elmhirst talking about Maurice and Maralyn. There’s still tickets for Jonathan Wilson’s interview on Two Brothers: the life and times of Bobby and Jack Charlton on Monday evening, if that’s if it’s of interest to anyone. https://www.derbybookfestival.co.uk/events/jonathan-wilson-two-brothers-the-life-and-times-of-bobby-and-jackie-charlton