What are you reading? 📚

Read 2 books on holiday.

How they Broke Britain by James O'Brien, with chapters on various politicians and advisors who he sees as getting us to where we are now. Thought and anger provoking. If you interested in politics and centre or leftist especially.

The Satsuma Complex, Bob Mortimer's debut novel. Very Bob, very funny with a quirky cast of characters and a tense-ish plot.

For Facts Sake by Bob Daisley. He was the bass player and later lyric/music arranger with various bands including Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Gary Moore and many others. He kept a diary of events so his recollections are accurate and shed a lot of insight into the music business in general. I read this on first release but decided to go through it again. The Ozzy part is specially interesting.

2 hours ago, ketteringram said:

I've used the kindle app on my phone. I'm wondering how you get them onto a kindle device.

You just need to set up your Amazon account on the Kindle and you will see your library. You just download the book you want to read as you would using the phone app. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

Read 2 books on holiday.

How they Broke Britain by James O'Brien, with chapters on various politicians and advisors who he sees as getting us to where we are now. Thought and anger provoking. If you interested in politics and centre or leftist especially.

The Satsuma Complex, Bob Mortimer's debut novel. Very Bob, very funny with a quirky cast of characters and a tense-ish plot.

@sage James O’Brien will be at Derby Book Festival (late May/early June date tbc) at Quad. I think tickets go on sale in mid-April 

20 minutes ago, B4’s Sister said:

You just need to set up your Amazon account on the Kindle and you will see your library. You just download the book you want to read as you would using the phone app. 

So I download straight to the kindle? Therefore, I must be able to browse books from the kindle. Or can I only view my library? 

58 minutes ago, B4’s Sister said:

@sage James O’Brien will be at Derby Book Festival (late May/early June date tbc) at Quad. I think tickets go on sale in mid-April 

Oooh sounds good. He is very good but also slightly irritating. His books is very good. I may go.

1 hour ago, B4’s Sister said:

I'm still here 😀. I understand what you're saying. But......let's say I don't have a phone, tablet or pc. The only device I have is the kindle. Can I go online , browse books in the store, buy and download? Or does it always need another device to do that part?

29 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

I'm still here 😀. I understand what you're saying. But......let's say I don't have a phone, tablet or pc. The only device I have is the kindle. Can I go online , browse books in the store, buy and download? Or does it always need another device to do that part?

I can browse books on my kindle but can’t buy them. I have to use Amazon on a phone etc to buy books 

8 hours ago, sage said:

Read 2 books on holiday.

If How they Broke Britain made you angry don't read "Silent Coup - How Corporations Overthrew Democracy" by Matt Kennard and Claire Provost, it'll push you over the edge!

Enjoyed The Satsuma Complex, if you like Mortimer then you should like the book.

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

If How they Broke Britain made you angry don't read "Silent Coup - How Corporations Overthrew Democracy" by Matt Kennard and Claire Provost, it'll push you over the edge!

Enjoyed The Satsuma Complex, if you like Mortimer then you should like the book.

Have you read How they Broke Britain?

12 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

Yes.  Silent Coup puts a bit more of the background as to who really controls our politicians and press than O'Brien does.

As in, who controls Tufton Street?

10 hours ago, sage said:

As in, who controls Tufton Street?

O'Brien shows how the UK has been infiltrated and Silent Coup shows how the World is controlled by the same organisations. I haven't quite finished Silent Coup yet but the situation is far worse than you first think.

Its depressing tbh, they have that much power its impossible to see a way to stop it. Democracy is a sham, the big parties here and in the US are completely controlled by the same people.

The next stage is Freeports/SEZ's in the UK. Over 80 of these already planned or started. Vast areas of Britain will be privately owned and run outside of UK Law. Working rights, Human rights, environmental rules - all gone, funded by taxpayers for private gain of huge corporations.

Just popped in, as I noted the last poster to post in this thread (on my "Unread posts" list.)

I cannot deny it came as quite a shock!  😲
It just goes to show how deceiving these message boards can be, and we don't truly know who we are "talking" to!

PS:  I/m ok now.  Just had a sweet tea and a biscuit.

PPS:
👀  👀  👀

54 minutes ago, uttoxram75 said:

O'Brien shows how the UK has been infiltrated and Silent Coup shows how the World is controlled by the same organisations. I haven't quite finished Silent Coup yet but the situation is far worse than you first think.

Its depressing tbh, they have that much power its impossible to see a way to stop it. Democracy is a sham, the big parties here and in the US are completely controlled by the same people.

The next stage is Freeports/SEZ's in the UK. Over 80 of these already planned or started. Vast areas of Britain will be privately owned and run outside of UK Law. Working rights, Human rights, environmental rules - all gone, funded by taxpayers for private gain of huge corporations.

Yes I'm aware of the Teeside controversy. 

reading michael sandel's democracy's discontent and not long started vision or mirage by david rundell about MBS 'reforms' in Saudi Arabia. Really enjoying both tbh and Sandel is a modern master of political history. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/03/2024 at 00:14, uttoxram75 said:

That sounds really depressing. The more you know the worse it gets. Democracy is an illusion and big business controls everything.

On the other hand, have you read Bob’s autobiography. It’s great. 

I like to read a crime novel every now and again and I've just finished a pretty good one called "The Broken Afternoon" by Simon Mason. The subject is a distressing one - the disappearance of a child - but it's sensitively handled. The story rollicks along at a good pace, has plenty of twists and turns, and the police detectives involved are well drawn characters.