Barnsley v Derby County: Player Ratings

Ellafella

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

1Wildsmith

35Nelson

5Bradley

6Cashin

2Wilson

4Hourihane

7Barkhuizen

32Adams

12Smith

20Elder

24Nyambe

8Bird 🐦 

17Sibley

25Gayle

11Méndez-Laing

ATG

1Wildsmith 4…..absolutely horrendous display of kicking. PW said he felt ill pre match, so hope it’s a blip

35Nelson 6.5….pretty sound as usual. A few holes appeared near his station in one spell in the first half

5Bradley 7….another good game. Hope the goal boosts confidence further 

6Cashin 6.5….OK….a bit hesitant on a couple of occasions 

2Wilson 6…..much better when pushed further forward. Got plenty of balls into the box 2nd half….tbh couldn’t see if they were any good!

4Hourihane 5.5…quality was good. Fed up of watching him in a 2 (to my mind Bird was part of a front 3) where he’s out-run but we need his quality 

7Barkhuizen 6….good initial impact, went quiet and then good last 10-15. 

32Adams 5.5…good destroyer against a team that wanted to use midfield. Not great on the ball today.

12Smith 6….much better on the ball than Adam’s. Tried to make things happen

20Elder 5….OK defensively but offered nothing going forward. 

24Nyambe 6.5….played well. Didn’t have much defending to do…..actually impressed me with some attacking grunt 

8Bird 🐦 5.5…..funnily enough, not that impressive as part of a front 3. Could/should have scored after about 10 seconds. Much better in last 20.

17Sibley 6….did OK individually in a non-functioning forward 3

25Gayle 6….didn’t do much but the whole team structure and pattern of play improved when he and Barks came on. Should have started in my opinion- better to have a team set up well from the outset 

11Méndez-Laing 5….score of 5 not his fault. Not a CF. Same as last week….i’d rather see him on a wing putting something into a makeshift CF rather than him being the makeshift CF and receiving nothing.

Frustrating. 
For all the talk about ‘3 at the back’ it looked like 5-2-3 for first half and crying out for a change even when we were winning/drawing.

Looked like a flat back 7 at times at start of second half but thought we actually played OK after going behind and deserved a point.

Can’t fault anyone’s effort or commitment.

1Wildsmith 5.5 A tad of colour we're told and it showed.

35Nelson 6.5 Decent enough without hitting his normal levels

5Bradley 7.0 Has really settled down in recent games and took his goal nicely

6Cashin 7.0 Decent enough and hit a beautiful cross to Nate who probably should have got something on it

2Wilson 6.5 Looks better higher up the pitch and was industrious

4Hourihane 6.0 His set-piece work was top drawer, but that's where it starts and finishes - we need more from Conor

7Barkhuizen 6.5 Made a difference without showing his form from recent games

32Adams 6.0 Appears he's human after all - get him in an ice bath as we need him ready for Charlton

12Smith 6.5 Folk have written the lad off, but he appears to be finding some form and his passing ability is very welcome

20Elder 6.0 Solid enough and took a hefty knock, after which he looked to be minding himself a bit 

24Nyambe 7.5 MOTM for me - how I'd love a run of games with a variation on a 4-3-3

8Bird 6.0 Just a fair run out and should really have notched a goal early on

17Sibley 6.5 A decent enough run out from Louie who is definitely improving his team play - perhaps unlucky to get hooked

25Gayle 6.5 A solid if unspectacular debut, but enough to see what he might bring

11Méndez-Laing 6.0 Ran hard and I can't fault his effort, but I don't think playing centrally suits as much as I'd hoped it would.

WarneWatch - Argh, sorry Paul but I'm not loving the formation. It feels to me that we often win despite it, not because of it and I'd like us to revert to the formation that saw us prosper prior to AFCON. That aside, I think too many players were sub-par yesterday and need to be doing the basics far better. I don't think wanting to get the ball forward quickly is an even vaguely credible excuse for pro-ballers. As it is, we're fortunate that the unbeatable Bolton are in fact, beatable and this remains very much in our hands if we can re-find some consistency.

1Wildsmith 5.5 Not culpable for either goal. A couple of regulation saves. Atrocious kicking.

35Nelson 7.0 Battled hard and head bandaged after a bang.

5Bradley 7.5 Inspired tackle first half and a goal. 

6Cashin 6 Not up to his usual high standards; set up their goal with a poor header out & at fault for their winner. 

2Wilson 6.5 Some delightful foot chicanery but mostly in vain; could have released or crossed sooner at times.

4Hourihane 5.5 Some fine set pieces but not enough influential control mid-pitch

7Barkhuizen 6.0 Tried to impact the game but fizzled out quickly. 

32Adams 6.5 Won ball frequently but distribution was scruffy. 

12Smith 7.0 Brought some fluidity and quick passes as we hunted a second goal.

20Elder 6.5 Some solid tackles but doesn’t get forward much. 

24Nyambe 7.0 Wasted on the bench.

8Bird 🐦 5.5 Could’ve / should’ve done better with that early break; played very advanced & we missed his creative craft.

17Sibley 6.0 Not enough influence in the game. 

25Gayle 6.0 His mere presence was an improvement on a central forward vacuous space.

11Méndez-Laing 6.5 Plenty of effort but needs to play wide.

PW: “Maybe I got the shape wrong”. No maybe about it Paul. It’s a pig’s ear. Get back to a back 4. Play players in their proper positions. Stop over-thinking it. Play with a centre-forward. It’s a simple game not a chess tournament. 

ATG

1Wildsmith. 5.5.  Distribution poor - haven't watched the highlights so giving him the benefit that he wasn't at fault for their second 

35Nelson. 6.5

5Bradley. 7 defended well and looked a threat at set pieces

6Cashin 5.5. As he himself said could maybe have done better for their second

2Wilson 6.5 For me he's not a wing back but when he gets to attack he looks threatening 

4Hourihane. 5.  There were several times he could have turned on the ball and played too safe.  

7Barkhuizen. 5.  Might be being harsh just didn't notice him doing anything. 

32Adams. 6. Solid

12Smith.  6. 

20Elder. 5.5. Did ok but if he's a wing back need more threat

24Nyambe. 6

8Bird 🐦  5. Didn't offer much 

17Sibley. 5.5. Showed willing. Put in a few tackles.   No real threat. 

25Gayle. 6 

11Méndez-Laing. 5.5. Played out of position again 

Coaching staff 3 A real mess of a formation and changes were reactive and poor.  Was crying out to go to a back 4 

Edited by trappatoni

1Wildsmith  5

35Nelson 7

5Bradley 7

6Cashin 5

2Wilson 5

4Hourihane 5

7Barkhuizen  6

32Adams  7

12Smith  6

20Elder  6

24Nyambe  7

8Bird 🐦 5

17Sibley 6

25Gayle 6

11Méndez-Laing. 4

The manager- oh dear. He seemed concerned that they were closing us down when we had the ball. 🤷🏽 keep moving the ball and dictate where their players move. His answer of pass it long to the opposition doesn’t work. If he had more belief in his team, life would be easier for him. 

1Wildsmith - 5.5 think he forgot how to kick the ball 

35Nelson - 6.5 was solid 

5Bradley - 7.5 won everything in the air and was solid on the ball + a goal

6Cashin - 6.5 solid enough 

2Wilson - 6 thought he was poor yesterday in comparison to his usual self 

4Hourihane - 5 awful on the ball and lazy in defence and weak in duels. Simply cannot start week in week out if we want promotion.

7Barkhuizen - 6.5 looked decent when he came on

32Adams - 6.5 worst performance as a ram but still good 

12Smith - 6.5 tidy when he came on 

20Elder - 7 looks solid every time he plays recently

24Nyambe - 6.5 didn’t really have much to do 

8Bird 🐦 - 6.5 was quiet yesterday 

17Sibley - 6 so obvious he has talent but his sever lack of football IQ is what’s holding him back. His decision making and timing of runs yesterday was terrible. 

25Gayle - 6.5 looked tidy when he came on, start on Tuesday please 

11Méndez-Laing - 6 not at his best

1Wildsmith 5.5 Kicking was off but not at fault for the goals. 

35Nelson 7 consistent and still did a good job after his mugging

5Bradley 7 good defensively and grabbed a goal

6Cashin 6 not his best ground or game

2Wilson 6 poor until we changed shape then he came alive; needs more end product

4Hourihane 5 so he floats in a good set piece, but his presence leaves big gaps in our defensive midfield

7Barkhuizen 5.5 not his usual supersub performance, got brushed off the ball too easily

32Adams 6 some great tackles but struggled to find his passing range

12Smith 6.5 contrary to some, I thought he made a difference. I'd start him instead of Hourihane.

20Elder 6 was playing well until he got crocked - again

24Nyambe 7 played really well, and seems to be learning his offensive role; needed his physical presence out there for the full 90

8Bird 🐦 6 quiet game, seemed unsure of where to pass to, misses NML in his usual position

17Sibley 7 thought he was bright until he was victim of a heavy tackle, was closing down and linking with Bird. We missed him when he went off

25Gayle 6.5 he needs time to build up an understanding with other players but he will get goals if we play to his strengths. Will we?

11Méndez-Laing 6 wasted centrally and he needs to get back to his best position

ATG - a mixed bag from the management team. Sometimes youthful energy is better than experience and Barnsley showed us that yesterday. 

52 minutes ago, angieram said:

12Smith 6.5 contrary to some, I thought he made a difference. I'd start him instead of Hourihane.

I’m completely with you here angieram. Don’t think Smith gets enough credit for his footballing ability. He was going well at the start of the season before his injury and has added something when he’s come on in the last 2.

On 24/02/2024 at 18:03, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 -that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) Or Tv.

1Wildsmith 5 not much to do , poor kicking

35Nelson 6 doesn’t seem to like the 3 at the back

5Bradley 7 good goal , strong defensively 

6Cashin 6.5 strong defending , not so good distribution at times

2Wilson 5 achieved little

4Hourihane 5.5 assist but overrun in midfield

7Barkhuizen 5.5

32Adams 6.5 strong in the tackle, some poor distribution 

12Smith 5.5

20Elder 6 strong defensively 

24Nyambe 6 

8Bird 🐦 5.5 not up to the level of the last few games

17Sibley 6.5 should of stayed on

25Gayle 6 once fit will cause opposition problems 

11Méndez-Laing 5.5 needs to be out wide

atg

ATG

1Wildsmith    6   Not at fault for the goals but kicking was poor. Better than last season though!

35Nelson      6.5  Perhaps not quite at his best, but warrior qualities shone through.

5Bradley       7   A goal and a decent overall performance again.

6Cashin        6   Had a better game than last season here, but must shoulder some responsibility for both goals.

2Wilson        6.5  Looked tired and out of sorts until moved further forward. End product still needs work.

4Hourihane   5  I thought it was a mistake to play him, and I think I was right. A couple of good corners isn't enough skipper.

7Barkhuizen   6  Flitted in and out without making much impact.

32Adams   6.5  Excellent evasive work for our goal and covered well as per though distribution not always good.

12Smith   6.5  Always seems to stabilise us. Surely must be given a start soon.

20Elder   7 A pity for us and him that he got nobbled. Dealt well with a tricky opponent.

24Nyambe  7 I want this guy's name on the team-sheet regardless of what formation we play - he has a touch of righteous arrogance.

8Bird 🐦  6  Not at the level of his recent performances. Poor pass to Hourihane that scuppered early chance typified his game.

17Sibley   6.5  Battled hard and got kicked allot which the ref rarely spotted, but we needed more output from him in attack.

25Gayle   6  A useful run-out and showed that his instincts are still present. Looking forward to him getting fitter,

11Méndez-Laing  6.5  Another not at his best and decision-making sometimes awry, but he never stopped trying to create and score.

1Wildsmith 5 kicking was urgh 

35Nelson 7 solid, great headband 

5Bradley 7 continued his good form, good goal

6Cashin 6 lost his man for the second goal

2Wilson 5 for the million time, not a wing back. When pushed forward he was more effective, though slow getting the ball in

4Hourihane 5 for the millionth time, with Adams in the team he is not really required

7Barkhuizen 6 added a bit of zip to the attack but without much meaning

32Adams 6 Not his usual influence, did a great job getting out of the way of Bradley's header

12Smith 6.5 Came on to pass the ball better, and passed the ball better, more effective in there than Hourihane.

20Elder 6 for the millionth time, not a wing back. But he is a good defender. 

24Nyambe 6.5 Big and strong. And big. Could have done with him from the start tbh.

8Bird 🐦 5 Not really in the game

17Sibley 6.5 Added bite and fire to the midfield first half, but also had to play as an attacker, which didn't really work

25Gayle 6 Did he score? Did he not? I still don't know. Flag was up anyway.

11Méndez-Laing 6 for the half millionth time, he's only good when out wide. Please. 

ATG 

1Wildsmith - 5 poor kicking yes, but biggest concern for me was he wasn't vocal and I think the defence looked nervous as a result, several times Cashin headed clearances (poorly) that JW should have told him to leave....

35Nelson

5Bradley - 7 decent again in both boxes

6Cashin - 6 off it, but see comments on Wildsmith 

2Wilson - 6.5 grew into the game just needs someone on the end of crosses

4Hourihane - 4 poor, slows game too much and needlessly passing to Adams instead ofa positive ball fwds

7Barkhuizen - 6

32Adams - 6 broke play up okbut received balls from Hourihane when he didn't want it, subsequently lost it on numerous occasions as a result

12Smith - 6

20Elder - 6

24Nyambe - 6

8Bird 🐦  - 5, misplaced too many passes when not under pressure 

17Sibley - 6

25Gayle - 6

11Méndez-Laing - 5, out of position maybe, but generally looked off the pace, several times jogged instead of sprinting, commented on multiple times in the crowd around where we were.

Previous post sent whilst stoll commenting on Hourihane.... was adding this

4Hourihane - 4 poor, slows game too much and needlessly passing to Adams instead of a positive ball fwds, coupled with lack of bite and pace makes him a liability IMO. Wouldn't start him in any game at the minute.

🐦   

Edited by Rich84
Ph playing up