Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

14 hours ago, TomTom92 said:

Kenzo is the least Derby signing of the summer so I wouldn’t call it desperation. 

Whether he was first choice or not we’ll never know but at the moment I’d say our tactics are hampering his performances not necessarily his talent.

I didn’t word that very well . I meant Tawanda was a desperation signing . I assume Kenzo was a thought out , stats based signing . However if we don’t get some quality Championship players (under 28) before Friday . We are in trouble. Top of the recruitment pyramid at DCFC is “Teflon Pearce”. He set all this up , his head should roll , the way most clubs sort it out . 

6 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

I didn’t word that very well . I meant Tawanda was a desperation signing . I assume Kenzo was a thought out , stats based signing . However if we don’t get some quality Championship players (under 28) before Friday . We are in trouble. Top of the recruitment pyramid at DCFC is “Teflon Pearce”. He set all this up , his head should roll , the way most clubs sort it out . 

Fully agree 2/3 good players before deadline day and we have a chance. Anything less and its been a pathetic last 5 weeks of the window.

14 hours ago, nogbad van 50 said:

Probably a good job you’re not his agent !

That was a reply to a post that said Gayle would be good for 10 games - I'm saying that's pessimistic - he may well do a Didzy and play most of the season.   Right now Gayle would start if I was the manager - unless we have better lined up then sign Gayle. 

15 hours ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I think his lack of awareness contributed to a couple of the goals against Blackburn

I think a positionally savvy, tactically aware defensive midfielder probably prevents most if not all of those. Think it's likely the same with the goal against Watford.

I'm hoping it's just a simple case of he's just raw and it ends up being a similar situation as to what it was with Tomori.

16 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

That was a reply to a post that said Gayle would be good for 10 games - I'm saying that's pessimistic - he may well do a Didzy and play most of the season.   Right now Gayle would start if I was the manager - unless we have better lined up then sign Gayle. 

Gayle would be a huge gamble . If one of his dodgy hamstrings went in his first game , would we pay him till Xmas ? Also can he still score in the Championship? A massive step up from the 3 rd tier. Why in gods name have we left it so late ? A statement striker should have come in weeks ago . 

19 minutes ago, Barney1991 said:

Need at least a centre forward and an option in defence. Players are good enough it’s time for the management to get the best out of them 

There in lies the problem!

Oxford linked to Kamara from Norwich. I don't expect them to get him, but these are the sort of links i would like us to be associated with. Exciting players.

Once again its all quiet on the western front.

3 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Oxford linked to Kamara from Norwich. I don't expect them to get him, but these are the sort of links i would like us to be associated with. Exciting players.

BBC saying Hull and Luton interested and fee likely to be £2.5m, despite the fact he's unproven.

We seem to be in complete denial about how much good players cost. 

I'm sure we will hear in coming weeks that we were 'unlucky' to miss out on our targets. But it is not 'unlucky' to be constantly outbid. It suggests you either need to stump up the cash or find more realistic targets. That requires skill and imagination - not luck. 

1 hour ago, jimtastic56 said:

Pearce is given a budget and tries to sign the players (identified by others) within that budget. I'm struggling to put any blame at his door.
It's either:
a) the scouting/analysis team(s) not identifying any suitable players (in terms of ability and fitting within our budget). In which case, we need new people in the scouting/analysis departments. I'm convinced after 1 day on the job with the tools our club has avaiable I could come up with a 20 man shortlist in every position. As such, I doubt this is where the problem lies.
b) the management team for disregarding the good targets which were identified. In which case, action needs to be taken such that they aren't the ones choosing the players to sign

46 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

I think a positionally savvy, tactically aware defensive midfielder probably prevents most if not all of those. Think it's likely the same with the goal against Watford.

I'm hoping it's just a simple case of he's just raw and it ends up being a similar situation as to what it was with Tomori.

I thin in an ideal world Adams would have been starting. However, he was struggling with an ankle injury at the start of the season, which meant Ozoh started. It's something which can be coached, so I'm not too worried at this moment in time.

14 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Absolutely. He'd walk into our starting 11. He was in their first 3 matchday squads, scoring and assisting in the Cup game vs Stevenage, so I didn't expect him to be avaiable.However, he's been excluded from the last 2 matches so may now be open to a loan.

3 minutes ago, vonwright said:

BBC saying Hull and Luton interested and fee likely to be £2.5m, despite the fact he's unproven.

We seem to be in complete denial about how much good players cost. 

I'm sure we will hear in coming weeks that we were 'unlucky' to miss out on our targets. But it is not 'unlucky' to be constantly outbid. It suggests you either need to stump up the cash or find more realistic targets. That requires skill and imagination - not luck. 

Part of the problem is arguably a mismatch between Clowes' budget and Warne's conservatism. Warne seems to strongly prefer his battle-hardened pros with a solid track record. But good versions of these, in their prime, obviously cost far too much money for Clowes. So we end up resigning Collins and Adams because we can't afford better, younger versions.

Given the money available we might have been better off taking more risks on younger, less proven players from the lower leagues or abroad. 

1 minute ago, vonwright said:

Part of the problem is arguably a mismatch between Clowes' budget and Warne's conservatism. Warne seems to strongly prefer his battle-hardened pros with a solid track record. But good versions of these, in their prime, obviously cost far too much money for Clowes. So we end up resigning Collins and Adams because we can't afford better, younger versions.

Given the money available we might have been better off taking more risks on younger, less proven players from the lower leagues or abroad. 

I'm not sure Collins and Adams are clogging up our budget too much but i agree with your previous post that we need to be more creative and take more risks in the market.

Kenzo and JWZ aside, our recruitment has been a little stale.

1 hour ago, brady1993 said:

Looks very good on the ball but a lone DM in a team who won’t rack up 60%+ possession he is not.

15 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Pearce is given a budget and tries to sign the players (identified by others) within that budget. I'm struggling to put any blame at his door.

Who negotiates the wages/contracts on offer? Who says whether a player is worth what is asked or demands?

Edited by RoyMac5

34 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's either:
a) the scouting/analysis team(s) not identifying any suitable players (in terms of ability and fitting within our budget). In which case, we need new people in the scouting/analysis departments. I'm convinced after 1 day on the job with the tools our club has avaiable I could come up with a 20 man shortlist in every position. As such, I doubt this is where the problem lies.
b) the management team for disregarding the good targets which were identified. In which case, action needs to be taken such that they aren't the ones choosing the players to sign

I think there is a bit of a case of there just simply being too much to do especially within a limited budget. 

39 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

I thin in an ideal world Adams would have been starting. However, he was struggling with an ankle injury at the start of the season, which meant Ozoh started. It's something which can be coached, so I'm not too worried at this moment in time.

Me neither. But I'd probably rotate him out for a little while with Adams back to fitness.

Isaac Success? Was released a couple of days ago- lots of injuries and not exactly prolific but has played most of his career at the top end (La Liga, Prem, Serie A) might find his shooting boots again with a step down.

Probably on 100000000k a week, I have no idea how mid table Serie A players compare to the champ.

Feel free to laugh at at this suggestion - just spotted he was released. 

12 minutes ago, Castor said:

Isaac Success? Was released a couple of days ago- lots of injuries and not exactly prolific but has played most of his career at the top end (La Liga, Prem, Serie A) might find his shooting boots again with a step down.

Probably on 100000000k a week, I have no idea how mid table Serie A players compare to the champ.

Was linked to us back in Mel’s day as I recall 

21 minutes ago, Castor said:

Ah yes, the most ironically-named of all the crazy Watford signings.