Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

8 minutes ago, Wignall12 said:

We have to learn to walk before we run

I'm not sure what you're getting at? We signed a lot of old players coming out of admin, understandably given our situation and those who are available on a free. Since then though, our recruitment has still skewed old. Going to struggle to build for sustained "success" or trying to get a profit which enables to properly compete these days doing that.

There were 4 players under 28 starting on Saturday, 1 of those being a goalkeeper and another being a loanee. Add a further 1 of 5 substitutes who came on. We are an old team.

7 minutes ago, Srg said:

I'm not sure what you're getting at? We signed a lot of old players coming out of admin, understandably given our situation and those who are available on a free. Since then though, our recruitment has still skewed old. Going to struggle to build for sustained "success" or trying to get a profit which enables to properly compete these days doing that.

There were 4 players under 28 starting on Saturday, 1 of those being a goalkeeper and another being a loanee. Add a further 1 of 5 substitutes who came on. We are an old team.

In our first season in L1, we used 10 players over 26 in the league - 2 of those being Chester and Stearman who barely featured under Warbe due to injuries.

Last season, that figure increased to 16, with 10 being 30+

We've already used 13 players this season, without using Washington or signing 3 more players in this window, or doing our January business. 8 are 30+ (9 inc. Washington)

For our first season, it made sense. We had little time to nail down free agents (typically 28+), and couldn't pay fees for prime age players. We had a lot of young talent then. Including loans, we used 11 players aged 21 or younger. We used just 5 last season, amd down to only 2 this season IF we eventually Brown.

We just needed to use the next 2 seasons to fill out the 21-28 age range.

When your entire L1 game plan is centred around getting promotion at all costs it can’t then be a surprise that you end up with a load of 29+ year olds who aren’t good enough for the level above and your Championship game plan is now stay up at all costs but half your squad that you now can’t shift are not cut out for it, and you can’t afford to just ignore them.

People who raised this last year were told not to worry about the Championship.

Edited by nottingram

1 hour ago, nottingram said:

When your entire L1 game plan is centred around getting promotion at all costs it can’t then be a surprise that you end up with a load of 29+ year olds who aren’t good enough for the level above and your Championship game plan is now stay up at all costs but half your squad that you now can’t shift are not cut out for it, and you can’t afford to just ignore them.

People who raised this last year were told not to worry about the Championship.

Absolutely 'you don't win anything with kids'.

In the modern game we rarely know the actual value of transfers, but we do get a rough idea of the ballpark.

What has surprised me is we do look to have spent quite a serious amount of money on a goalkeeper. Back in the day I thought Mackay's biggest fault was not buying Shilton, the world's best keeper, so there is an argument for how important a goalie can be. And I hope Zetterström reaches great heights with us. 

But, given the fee spent on him and Gouldmijn when a striker has always been our clearest priority, I would have presumed we have maybe a £4-5m budget to bring one in. Yet here, in the final week of the window, it feels as if we're feeding off scraps. Perhaps the club will yet surprise us, but it seems as if we're only talking about loans and looking at bringing in a striker from a Premier League academy who may or may not be better than Brown. 

Basically, our approach doesn't seem very logical. Unless the club thinks Yates is the bees knees and we only need occasional backup? But it doesn't sound as if that's the case from their pronouncements. 

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

In the modern game we rarely know the actual value of transfers, but we do get a rough idea of the ballpark.

What has surprised me is we do look to have spent quite a serious amount of money on a goalkeeper. Back in the day I thought Mackay's biggest fault was not buying Shilton, the world's best keeper, so there is an argument for how important a goalie can be. And I hope Zetterström reaches great heights with us. 

But, given the fee spent on him and Gouldmijn when a striker has always been our clearest priority, I would have presumed we have maybe a £4-5m budget to bring one in. Yet here, in the final week of the window, it feels as if we're feeding off scraps. Perhaps the club will yet surprise us, but it seems as if we're only talking about loans and looking at bringing in a striker from a Premier League academy who may or may not be better than Brown. 

Basically, our approach doesn't seem very logical. Unless the club thinks Yates is the bees knees and we only need occasional backup? But it doesn't sound as if that's the case from their pronouncements. 

Don't think a striker was always our main priority, given we had a grand total of Liam Thompson and Tyrese Fornah remaining from last season. 

5 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

At this point if we can't get better I'd seriously consider Dwight Gayle if he's still on a free.   At least he'd buy us a year to see how Brown does on loan or else find a young prospect 

It was clear Gayle could’ve done some real damage in L1 last year, had he stayed fit. Champ in 24/25? I’m not sure he’s the answer, even on average free!

22 minutes ago, trappatoni said:

At this point if we can't get better I'd seriously consider Dwight Gayle if he's still on a free.   At least he'd buy us a year to see how Brown does on loan or else find a young prospect 

He'd be fine for 10 games a season. Not really what we're looking for. We need a m,ore physcial presence who is a contender to start most weeks - battling with Yates to be 1st choice (Collins and Brown being subs)

23 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

The issue kinda lies with that we had a smallish budget that needed to be stretched too thin in an attempt to sign 10 or more players. So we either needed to be get real creative in recruitment (which is more difficult when attention is going to be so split), fall really lucky or we were always going to end up scrapping around from something. 

44 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

He'd be fine for 10 games a season. Not really what we're looking for. We need a m,ore physcial presence who is a contender to start most weeks - battling with Yates to be 1st choice (Collins and Brown being subs)

Honestly at this point I'd be half tempted to just commit to promoting Brown and try to figure something out in January. It feels like we've gotten to the point of options who aren't going to be an improvement on what we have.