Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

17 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Absolutely, especially when you consider much of our business was done off the back of sell on clauses.

Had the deals for Kellyman, Delap & Bogle not happened, what would our budget have looked like?

About 3 mill less 😊

3 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

Absolutely, especially when you consider much of our business was done off the back of sell on clauses.

Had the deals for Kellyman, Delap & Bogle not happened, what would our budget have looked like?

It’s completely up to Clowes how much he wants to invest in the club, he’s already done enough. I’m damn sure he isn’t going to be turning a profit owning us anyway, but even if he wanted to then we couldn’t moan. He is immune from criticism as far as I’m concerned. I think it’s really poor taste when fans demand more money to be spent. 

All that being said and noted I, too, am a little worried that we are leaving ourselves short. I anticipated we would do more and be more competitive, but obviously we aren’t privy to the budgetary constraints the club are under. It would be a huge shame if we have to spend more time in League One, but realistically we do look undercooked for this level. Objectively, we are a bottom six side based on budget, squad costs, etc. The expectation is that we will be in and around the relegation places and we categorically haven’t done enough in the transfer market to this point to have higher expectation. 

We will see what the rest of the window brings, only then will we be in a position at the end of the window to take stock and see where we are comparatively speaking to our peers. I think three young premier league loan signings, if that’s to be it, does very little to change the narrative from the outset. We would need all three to play at a very high level in order to keep us safely above water. I think the general rule of thumb is that 25-30% of loanees at this level are a success. 

Samuel Iling-Junior potentially going out on loan from Villa. 

Believe he is predominantly a winger but has also played left wing back. Would give us a left footed option in the front 3 and either cover or an upgrade on Elder.

Must caveat this with the fact I’ve never ever seen him play and have no idea if he is rubbish, alright or way too good for us. Probably aiming higher than a likely bottom half Championship team having made a fair few appearances for Juventus last season, but not really sure if he has a landing spot in the Premier League.

I'm not clamouring for us to spend a load of money but must admit on the 21st August I am getting a bit antsy now about who is coming in next.

We do still need some strengthening in key areas of the pitch, and with the window shutting in just over a week we don't even seem to be linked with anyone. I know transfers can come out of left field but it's all gone quiet. Doesn't sound like we're very close with anything at the moment

17 minutes ago, nottingram said:

Believe he is predominantly a winger but has also played left wing back. Would give us a left footed option in the front 3 and either cover or an upgrade on Elder.

Must caveat this with the fact I’ve never ever seen him play and have no idea if he is rubbish, alright or way too good for us. Probably aiming higher than a likely bottom half Championship team having made a fair few appearances for Juventus last season, but not really sure if he has a landing spot in the Premier League.

Be an unreal signing looking at his CV - not actually seen him play either. CV alone suggests he's likely out of our price range.

If its the case that we can't afford who we want, then the recruitment team need firing.

Surely as part of the process, the price of the player, and his wage demands all form part of identifying viable targets.

With 10 days left, bear in mind we have had all May, June, July & August, we are still at least 3 or 4 players short of what we need.

What do they get paid for, cos i would like paying alot for nothing!

19 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I'd have to say it seems highly unlikely verging on impossible to sign a player of his calibre on loan in our position. Probably will get a lower prem loan

8 minutes ago, Srg said:

Be an unreal signing looking at his CV - not actually seen him play either. CV alone suggests he's likely out of our price range.

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I'd have to say it seems highly unlikely verging on impossible to sign a player of his calibre on loan in our position. Probably will get a lower prem loan

Yeah, probably. Even if he doesn’t get a Prem loan he’ll get a top end Championship one. Fits a lot of need for us though

39 minutes ago, nottingram said:

I’d imagine he’ll go on loan to a prem team, if not maybe to Leeds to replace Summerville. 

Probably unrealistic but I’d love if we went after Robin Quaison. He is 30 years old and 31 in October but I wouldn’t mind an experienced target man. He went to Saudi and I read he wanted to play in England and is now a free agent. He only played 68 games in three seasons for Al Ettifaq and he’s already made his money so I wonder if he still wants to come play in England while he still has the chance and he certainly won’t get a move to the premier league. He’s being linked with a move home to Sweden who’d probably offer the same wages or maybe even less and he actually has 50 Sweden caps but recently has been used less and less.  

He is 6 foot but very physical and has good link up play so would suit us perfectly stylistically. He scored 16 goals in his 68 games in Saudi also getting 4 assists. Before that he played 130 games for Mainz in Germany getting 34 goals and 10 assists. 

Hes not the type of striker who’s going to come and grab 25 goals but could get around 10 - 15 aswell as getting the best out of others around him. Be interested to see where he ends up. 

1 hour ago, valakari said:

If its the case that we can't afford who we want, then the recruitment team need firing.

Surely as part of the process, the price of the player, and his wage demands all form part of identifying viable targets.

With 10 days left, bear in mind we have had all May, June, July & August, we are still at least 3 or 4 players short of what we need.

If only life/transfers were that simple. 

Take Mubama for instance. There were probably lots of champ clubs interested and he was weighing up options. Think the fee ended up being £1.5 mil which we could probably afford. However, Man City want a home grown player who’s cheap and who they can make money on down the line so they offer him 5 times the salary we did. 

At the time of initial contact he may have been in our range, but another factor came into play that nobody could have predicted.

As we’ve seen from some of the ridiculous prices for players like Osula etc, and prem teams circumventing FFP rules by playing the game with academy players it’s skewed the market from a couple months ago 🤷‍♂️

Edited by EnigmaRam

31 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Might we be looking at Luke McNally as a central defence option? Irish central defender owned by Burnley, but on loan at Stoke last season? 

I saw something the other day suggesting he was available for a loan move, good experience at this level and a good age but other than that I don’t know much about him 

1 minute ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I saw something the other day suggesting he was available for a loan move, good experience at this level and a good age but other than that I don’t know much about him 

He loves interior design and has a tortoise called Cedric.

4 hours ago, valakari said:

Or maybe, the recruitment team think they can get a lot better when contracts are being run down in January? Maybe we have 2 or 3 quality long-term targets that require the funds to be ring-fenced until then.

They have done a good job with who we've brought in so far, in my opinion. 

49 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I meant more in terms of his ability, strengths and weaknesses etc, but good to know the person behind the player too 😄 

6 ft 4 in, played more minutes for Stoke than anyone else last season, and likes to defend. Not a brilliant ball player, which I presume is why Burnley loaned him out. But Kompany's second buy for them, and he will know a decent defender. Googling, I see there's some talk Bristol City are after him. 

1 hour ago, Norman said:

Or maybe, the recruitment team think they can get a lot better when contracts are being run down in January? Maybe we have 2 or 3 quality long-term targets that require the funds to be ring-fenced until then.

They have done a good job with who we've brought in so far, in my opinion. 

We really can’t wait until January I am afraid especially the centre forward area and the need for centre back cover 

3 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Might we be looking at Luke McNally as a central defence option? Irish central defender owned by Burnley, but on loan at Stoke last season? 

Think Burnley will likely be letting a few of their CBs leave. They've already signed 3 players this window for whom it's their preferred position and are apparently close to bringing Joe Worrall in as well. They surely won't be needing all of the other 5 senior CBs they've got on their books with those new signings on top.