Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

14 minutes ago, valakari said:

How can Birmingham spend so much without breaking PSR or FFP or whatever it calls itself now?

Because L1 have different rules, essentially allowing an owner to spend as much as they want. They could still potentially be punished after a season back in the Championship depending on their spend.

Fun fact : 32 years ago Derby paid 2.5M for Craig Short, a record fee at the time for 1) a defender and 2) a club in the second flight.

Can’t imagine Derby paying 2.5M now, despite huge inflation over that time period. Yes it was Lionel’s cash which we no longer have, and  demonstrates the impact of the Bosman ruling 3 yrs later taking the wind out of transfer fees. But despite the huge amount of money pouring into the English game, I’m not convinced clubs like Derby are any better off than they were 30 yrs ago. If anything their purchasing power has been diminished massively by Premier League finances. We are now duking it out for free agents and loans in the army surplus stores of the lower leagues. 

ln lieu of a billionaire owner, the Academy has to be the answer.

47 minutes ago, Matchday Fred said:

Fun fact : 32 years ago Derby paid 2.5M for Craig Short, a record fee at the time for 1) a defender and 2) a club in the second flight.

Can’t imagine Derby paying 2.5M now, despite huge inflation over that time period. Yes it was Lionel’s cash...

Isn't that the point, Lionel was our 'billionaire owner'?

1 hour ago, Matchday Fred said:

Can’t imagine Derby paying 2.5M now, despite huge inflation over that time period. Yes it was Lionel’s cash which we no longer have, and  demonstrates the impact of the Bosman ruling 3 yrs later taking the wind out of transfer fees. But despite the huge amount of money pouring into the English game, I’m not convinced clubs like Derby are any better off than they were 30 yrs ago. If anything their purchasing power has been diminished massively by Premier League finances. We are now duking it out for free agents and loans in the army surplus stores of the lower leagues. 

That makes me feel old 👴

Remember us paying for notts new stand with short and johnson transfer fee

14 minutes ago, Ilsonram12 said:

That makes me feel old 👴

Remember us paying for notts new stand with short and johnson transfer fee

You and me both!

And I still haven’t seen anyone score in slow motion like Short did at the BBG with a 35 yard volley! Can’t remember who it was against though? Charlton? No idea.

2 hours ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

I’d argue the recruitment we are doing now for the u21s is essential in getting us into the promotion mix in 3-5 years.

I remain unconvinced that a full scale academy is actually worthwhile - although I think it does have some value in cementing the identity of the club.

It costs a lot to develop kids from 8 years old. Most of that outlay is wasted. Then pushing players into the first team before they are definitely ready is an essential part of an academy strategy. Only about 10% of those kids given significant first team roles actually thrive, which means the very act will always have net negative effect. OK, the odd gem will emerge, and enhance the team and P&Ls, but I've never seen a side 'academy' their way to promotion.

However, where we have done well is picking up 17-21 year olds, often released by other clubs. They aren't lads who have come through our academy, but somebody at the club has seen something and given them a second chance. If Morris hadn't almost destroyed the club, all those youngsters like Plange, Ebosele and Ebiowei would likely still be here to add to Cashin and Thompson. They only took months to develop. I really think the club are onto something with this late teen recruitment model. It's not too far away from what Brentford did either.

8 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I remain unconvinced that a full scale academy is actually worthwhile - although I think it does have some value in cementing the identity of the club.

It costs a lot to develop kids from 8 years old. Most of that outlay is wasted. Then pushing players into the first team before they are definitely ready is an essential part of an academy strategy. Only about 10% of those kids given significant first team roles actually thrive, which means the very act will always have net negative effect. OK, the odd gem will emerge, and enhance the team and P&Ls, but I've never seen a side 'academy' their way to promotion.

However, where we have done well is picking up 17-21 year olds, often released by other clubs. They aren't lads who have come through our academy, but somebody at the club has seen something and given them a second chance. If Morris hadn't almost destroyed the club, all those youngsters like Plange, Ebosele and Ebiowei would likely still be here to add to Cashin and Thompson. They only took months to develop. I really think the club are onto something with this late teen recruitment model. It's not too far away from what Brentford did either.

Festy joined us as a 1st year scholar (technically still 15 at the time). Due to FIFA rules we cannot sign foreign players earlier than this.

How many players have had a successful career when signing for the U21s or even as 17 year olds? Plange struggled to get into a relegated L1 side last season, whilst Ebiowei has also struggled to get game time anywhere he's been. Watson, Hutchinson and Hector-Ingram are other examples to have failed to prove themselves as Championship level players.

Cashin, Bird, Thompson, Buchanan, Lowe, Whittake, Delap, Gordon, Kellyman were all in the academy for years. Knight and Bogle as well as Festy were 1st year scholars. The evidence says our best prospects came through our academy system rather than picked up off other clubs. Even now, PL clubs chase after our long term academy players rather than the ones signed at 17+.

I wonder if Josh Coburn could be an option, I think we were loosely linked to him last season. Middlesborough ended up keeping him and he got 5 goals and 1 assists in 21 appearances (only 11 starts). They’ve since signed Burgzorg and want another striker. Looking at X boro fans reckon he’ll leave on loan or permanently. Hes a fast 6 foot 4 striker who knows how to score a goal. He’s in the 64th percentile for aerial duels won and won the ball back .63 times per 90 in the final third (for comparison James Collins was .60 for that stat last season. 

3 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

I wonder if Josh Coburn could be an option, I think we were loosely linked to him last season. Middlesborough ended up keeping him and he got 5 goals and 1 assists in 21 appearances (only 11 starts). They’ve since signed Burgzorg and want another striker. Looking at X boro fans reckon he’ll leave on loan or permanently. Hes a fast 6 foot 4 striker who knows how to score a goal. He’s in the 64th percentile for aerial duels won and won the ball back .63 times per 90 in the final third (for comparison James Collins was .60 for that stat last season. 

Good suggestion.

27 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

He'd be a good option and I reckon would be our best CF. I'd prefer someone who is better at pressing and wins the ball back higher up the pitch. Someone a fraction better than a 33 year old isn't ideal.

Sekou Mara ticks pretty much every box - goals, aerial ability, pressing work, likes to dribble, and can play anywhere across the forward positions. He finished last season with 6 goals and 2 assists in just 1009 minutes for Southampton last season. I can't see his game time increasing in the PL, but I wonder how much he'd cost (even on loan)

4 hours ago, Eoghan1884 said:

The more I think about it, the more I think this might be the best suggestion 

If we could get a deal done for Adam Phillips it would be perfect. Plays well in a midfield 2 or 3 as an 8 or 10. He’s 26 so coming into his prime years and his style of play could see him still playing his best football into his mid 30s. 
I suggested him previously this window but after watching him again last night he’s undeniable quality. Has a great delivery and is great at finding pockets of space in and around the box and not to mention his knack for goals. 

In his last 3 seasons with Barnsley and Morecambe in league one, he’s gotten 26 goals and 23 assists in 120 games. Thats averaging nearly 19 goal contributions a season. If we could get a deal done for him it wouldn’t surprise me if he took to the championship seamlessly.

16 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

If we could get a deal done for Adam Phillips it would be perfect. Plays well in a midfield 2 or 3 as an 8 or 10. He’s 26 so coming into his prime years and his style of play could see him still playing his best football into his mid 30s. 
I suggested him previously this window but after watching him again last night he’s undeniable quality. Has a great delivery and is great at finding pockets of space in and around the box and not to mention his knack for goals. 

In his last 3 seasons with Barnsley and Morecambe in league one, he’s gotten 26 goals and 23 assists in 120 games. Thats averaging nearly 19 goal contributions a season. If we could get a deal done for him it wouldn’t surprise me if he took to the championship seamlessly.

I honestly have no idea why no championship side has picked him up yet. Thought for certain Portsmouth or Oxford would try and get him. He’d be a good signing if we want to play 4-3-3. Proper attacking No.8