Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

32 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Forget that lot , we now know what Warne is aiming for . We should be talking to Callum O’Hare , on a free from Coventry . Luton  want him , they have parachute money but come on ! 

😂 at the very least he's going very top of this league, but likely trying for Premier League move.

On 04/05/2024 at 11:17, jimtastic56 said:

Could have got Ollie Watkins from Exeter for £3.5 mill in the same window , but Mel said it was a rip-off. Beilik will be on nearly the £35 k a week we were giving him as he was a transfer market FREEBIE .

The Ollie Watkins truth from the Beeb website today. 

His form led to interest from Brentford - with Smith having moved to the Bees - and Derby.

"We were offered a lot of money by Derby in January (2017)," said Tisdale. "The Derby model was the opposite of what Ollie needed, a lot of process, passing and possession. I could have seen Ollie grinding to a halt. 

"They didn't undervalue him, it was the kind of money we'd have accepted, but we turned it down

8 minutes ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

His form led to interest from Brentford - with Smith having moved to the Bees - and Derby.

"We were offered a lot of money by Derby in January (2017)," said Tisdale. "The Derby model was the opposite of what Ollie needed, a lot of process, passing and possession. I could have seen Ollie grinding to a halt. 

"They didn't undervalue him, it was the kind of money we'd have accepted, but we turned it down

Weird comment seeing as at that time we had Steve McClaren back in charge (after the Pearson debacle) who wanted us to play football in a manner remarkably similar to Brentford, who themselves could be deemed to fit the very description of a using 'process, passing and possession' based model that he'd apparently have been unsuited for.

Actually makes sense that Exeter would want more for a player off us than Brentford because the chances of a sell on being activated were much higher at Brentford so less up front needed. Both because they were a selling club at the time and also developed players much better and were far more stable.

That reason doesn’t really mean anything or make any sense.

1 hour ago, Reggie Greenwood said:

But we played exactly like Brentford under McClaren but better.  There is no way a club like Exeter turn down a serious money offer from Derby, or the player, if it was a concrete offer at the figure they wanted.  Blokes talking out his chuff.

1 minute ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

But we played exactly like Brentford under McClaren but better.  There is no way a club like Exeter turn down a serious money offer from Derby, or the player, if it was a concrete offer at the figure they wanted.  Blokes talking out his chuff.

Tisdale was the Exeter manager at the time , so I suppose you have to take what he says at face value but I agree at that time I’d say similar styles but we were better. 
Unless something else in the back ground ? 

Just now, Reggie Greenwood said:

Tisdale was the Exeter manager at the time , so I suppose you have to take what he says at face value but I agree at that time I’d say similar styles but we were better. 
Unless something else in the back ground ? 

Speaking after his brace had helped the Bees to a 3-0 Championship win over the Rams at Griffin Park in August 2019, Watkins told DerbyshireLive he almost ended up at Pride Park during the 2017 January transfer window, when Steve McClaren was in his second spell as manager. Asked how close he came to joining the club, he said: "Yeah, really close - in the January transfer window.

"Steve McClaren wanted to sign me, and I wanted to go there at the time. Then it kind of fell through - so it could have been a lot different!

"I could have been a Derby player but I stayed at Exeter and things worked out for the better here at Brentford. It was just down to money, I think.

"Exeter wanted a little bit more money at the time, and a loan back, because we were doing well and ended up getting to the (League Two) play-off final that year. It didn't work out, unfortunately, but I'm glad I came to Brentford."

To be fair Tisdale probably did the right thing for his career with that decision, since we were such a mess at the time. Who did have around the top end of our squad at that time; Bent, Ince, Nugent, Vydra, Russell, Blackman, Camara? We probably would have ended up sticking him out on the left wing and stalling his development.

Brentford spanked us 4-0 that year as well I think didn't they? They were certainly the more sensibly run and organised club

6 hours ago, rammieib said:

Correct - I spoke to a Coventry fan home and away recently - he said O'Hare was their standout player by a long way.

O’Hare is the flashy technical player, but you’d be hard pressed to find many who wouldn’t value Ben Sheaf more.

We announced Ward and Vickers last year on the 20th June. I wouldn’t expect any signings until late June/early July. It would be nice to start off with a signing like Rodak who Warne knows very well. He’s been sat on the bench at Fulham for a couple of years now and will want first team football. I can see the majority of our signings will be frees and loan signings but it would be nice to see us splash the cash on some good attackers. 

Swansea are said to be interested in Sam Gallagher from Blackburn. (Age 28) . Shouldn’t we be after a striker like that if we are going for Warne’s 3 year objective and not the 10 year one ? 

31 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Swansea are said to be interested in Sam Gallagher from Blackburn. (Age 28) . Shouldn’t we be after a striker like that if we are going for Warne’s 3 year objective and not the 10 year one ? 

Never been prolific….1 goal every 5 games for Rovers…

Would still prefer langstaff from Notts. May be too expensive tho. 

55 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

Think he scored in the game but my god the year we went down he was utter garbage against us, remember coming out and Blackburn fans slagging him off, maybe a one off night but a team nearly going down have let him go then 

59 minutes ago, oomarkwright said:

Would still prefer langstaff from Notts. May be too expensive tho. 

If we are not playing out from the back next season . We could do with a target man to set up a pure goal hanger like Langstaff. No way Notts County should be able to compete for players with DCFC . 

24 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

If we are not playing out from the back next season . We could do with a target man to set up a pure goal hanger like Langstaff. No way Notts County should be able to compete for players with DCFC . 

I'm just thinking of transfer fee. Maybe over £500K

1 hour ago, oomarkwright said:

I'm just thinking of transfer fee. Maybe over £500K

They’d want about 4 times that at least. And he’ll be 28 this season and has never played above the level he’s at now. The type of striker he is is a bit of a throwback and doesn’t fit most teams. There’s a reason nobody has taken a punt despite all those goals over the past few years.