Summer transfer suggestion thread

sage

6 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

Promotion?

Yep, forget any of the positive stuff he went on to do in the run in. You are so right in saying Bradley playing square balls for hours on end was key to our success.

Dont know how I missed it 🤷

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, WarCatDCFC said:

Can we stop buying or bring in old people age 30-35 please

You never win anything with older, experienced, quality, players.....oh wait.

Edited by IslandExile

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Foreveram said:

Dave Mackay ?

I've been looking for the video of his free kick that's often shown but yes a great example, nay, the definitive case of an experienced, quality player helping with the transition to a new level.

But Citeh regarded Franny as "past it", that's why I used him as an example and that's why Franny's face lit up when he proved them wrong.

Edited by IslandExile

1 hour ago, Will Hughes Hair said:

Yep, forget any of the positive stuff he went on to do in the run in. You are so right in saying Bradley playing square balls for hours on end was key to our success.

Dont know how I missed it 🤷

Was part of the way we played wasn't it?

We did extremely well in the goals for and against columns, if we spent hours on end playing square balls...

18 hours ago, DCFC1388 said:

Nixon claims Lundstram is off to Turkey

The Turkey rumours started a few months ago.

Rangers offered him a new contract but he refused, so I guess he has something lined up. 

19 minutes ago, WarCatDCFC said:

Players back then could play football no matter what age even into their 40s but players these days after 30 they fall apart on the pitch they don't put in the work but the kind of players back then could run circles around our team today 

Real Madrid won the champions league yesterday with 34 year old Toni Kroos and 38 year old Luka Modric both playing in the match.

Man City won the premier league with 34 year old Kyle Walker and 32 year old Kevin De Bruyne being key players.

Leicester won the championship with 37 year old Jamie Vardy playing up front.

Portsmouth won league one with 33 year old Marlon Pack playing a key role in midfield.

Those are just some examples for you. It’s an inaccurate generalisation that players over 30 in the modern game can’t play at a good level, especially given the sports science, conditioning, diets and squad depth involved.

For me there's no issue with us signing or having players over 30, the key will be having a balanced squad with some younger players around them. 

25 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Real Madrid won the champions league yesterday with 34 year old Toni Kroos and 38 year old Luka Modric both playing in the match.

Man City won the premier league with 34 year old Kyle Walker and 32 year old Kevin De Bruyne being key players.

Leicester won the championship with 37 year old Jamie Vardy playing up front.

Portsmouth won league one with 33 year old Marlon Pack playing a key role in midfield.

Those are just some examples for you. It’s an inaccurate generalisation that players over 30 in the modern game can’t play at a good level, especially given the sports science, conditioning, diets and squad depth involved.

For me there's no issue with us signing or having players over 30, the key will be having a balanced squad with some younger players around them. 

This is much better reasoning.

I don’t buy that 30 yr old + means you’re irrelevant, although if speed and agility are your leading attributes (Michael Owen E.g.) then you’re descent from world class to can’t compete is very quick.

If you’re a classy C(D)M then it’s a different story. Kroos could play another 4 years at the top table (or very close to it). 

Would it not be fair to say most 30+ year olds out of contract we're likely linked with are in that position because they are knackered physically (injuries)? Those examples above are world class players not run of the mill Championship/League 1 and with the exception of de bruyne they've stayed injury free. 

Excelsior Rotterdam have been relegated today they’ve 2 players who are out of contract who’d I’d like to see join Derby + Troy Parrott who’s loan with them has now ended.

Julian Baas a 22 year old midfielder, El Yaakoubi a 28 year old centre back and then Troy parrott who’d I’d imagine will leave spurs but will be a very hard player to land as he’s got 17 goals and 5 assists in 33 games this season. 

2 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

Would it not be fair to say most 30+ year olds out of contract we're likely linked with are in that position because they are knackered physically (injuries)? Those examples above are world class players not run of the mill Championship/League 1 and with the exception of de bruyne they've stayed injury free. 

To answer your question plainly (and in my opinion) no it’s not fair to say, it’s an assumption, who have we been credibly linked with for a start?

Players leave clubs on free transfers for all manner of reasons, it’s not automatically a sign they’re on a rapid decline or are injury ravaged.

Who were our key performers last season? 30 year old Curtis Nelson? 32 year old Nathaniel Mendez-Laing? 33 year old James Collins? Alongside Cashin and a couple of the younger pros. I think it’s about balance, some experience alongside a core of peak age players and some youth. We have no idea who we’re going to sign, I’m happy to wait and see who actually joins and how they contribute to the club before I come to any conclusions.

20 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

Excelsior Rotterdam have been relegated today they’ve 2 players who are out of contract who’d I’d like to see join Derby + Troy Parrott who’s loan with them has now ended.

Julian Baas a 22 year old midfielder, El Yaakoubi a 28 year old centre back and then Troy parrott who’d I’d imagine will leave spurs but will be a very hard player to land as he’s got 17 goals and 5 assists in 33 games this season. 

So that's almost 30% of their team and they got relegated? The remainder couldn’t have been up to much then.