Where do you think we'll finish this season?

Our history in the 3rd tier of football:

1955/6 season W28 D7 L11 Scored 110 goals, 63 pts(finished 2nd, only winners went up).

1956/57 season W26 D11 L9  111 goals scored, 63 pts (finished 1st, Champions).

1984/85 season W19 D13 L14 70pts 65 goals scored (finished 7th).

1985/86 season W23 D15 L8 84pts 80 goals scored (finished 3rd and back then, that was automatic promotion).

2022/23 season W21 D13 L12 76 pts 67 goals scored (finished 7th, did not make the play-offs).

Looking at the history, we have got promoted each time on our 2nd season. 3 wins would equal our best win total in a season, 4 would be a new club record. Even with just one more away win would be a new club record. 4 more points would see us break another club record.

I'm greedy for the club to have success, get promotion this season, keeping up with our sequence of 2nd season promotion. beat the points total record, beat the away wins total. And if this happens we will definitely finish 2nd.                                                                                           

Of our remaining 4 fixtures, only Wycombe are in the top half of the current form table (9th with 3 wins and a draw from their last 6 games) - we're joint 4th with 13 points. With players coming back from injury, I think we're in a decent position for the final push. None of the games will be easy, but no game in this league is for a club of our size. The players should be used to that by now. They've generally dealt well with that pressure and now they just need to really want promotion and take the chances when they arise - don't walk away from any game with regrets.

Pompey fan in peace, I personally think you boys will win all your remaining games from what I saw the other night you have enough to do it and you won’t need to sit back like you did in the second half. I personally like Paul Warne he comes across as an honest guy not like that arrogant Ian Evatt really praying that they stay down. Wycombe losing today was your best result but they are no great shakes. I was worried when we went there on Good Friday as they were on a bit of a run but we won comfortably. Teams that  play on the front foot against us we usually beat as we did against Peterborough the previous week who also were on a run of 5 straight wins. Teams that park the bus we struggle to break down like Shrewsbury yesterday we huffed and puffed all game and were fortunate to come away with 3 points. Most of us still are not taking it as given that we are going up, lose to Bolton then we have Barnsley on the Tuesday lose that and it will be twitchy bum time definitely do not want to go to Lincoln on the last day needing 3 points. Anything can happen this Saturday against Bolton but we won comfortably at Fratton 3-1 so it would be good to win that will give us 2 home games to seal the Championship. Anyway good luck Derby are to big a club like us to be stuck in Div 1.

19 minutes ago, Pompeyoldgit said:

Pompey fan in peace, I personally think you boys will win all your remaining games from what I saw the other night you have enough to do it and you won’t need to sit back like you did in the second half. I personally like Paul Warne he comes across as an honest guy not like that arrogant Ian Evatt really praying that they stay down. Wycombe losing today was your best result but they are no great shakes. I was worried when we went there on Good Friday as they were on a bit of a run but we won comfortably. Teams that  play on the front foot against us we usually beat as we did against Peterborough the previous week who also were on a run of 5 straight wins. Teams that park the bus we struggle to break down like Shrewsbury yesterday we huffed and puffed all game and were fortunate to come away with 3 points. Most of us still are not taking it as given that we are going up, lose to Bolton then we have Barnsley on the Tuesday lose that and it will be twitchy bum time definitely do not want to go to Lincoln on the last day needing 3 points. Anything can happen this Saturday against Bolton but we won comfortably at Fratton 3-1 so it would be good to win that will give us 2 home games to seal the Championship. Anyway good luck Derby are to big a club like us to be stuck in Div 1.

A win against Bolton would suit us both, just make sure your lads deliver, we will all be cheering you on 🐏🐏🐏

Edited by Elwood P Dowd

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Same so do I and they will. Thing I like about us this season is how well we respond to adversity. There is a steel about them. We’ve had to s******** recent games largely due to our injury situation (which is as bad as anyones in the league for all Bolton’s bleating), but I thought we were really good against Pompey and I can see a return to the excellent performances of Bristol Vale and Reading for the last 4 games. If we play like we did against Pompey in the remaining fixtures we’ll get this done, no doubt in my mind. 

I think we thought the same at Northampton….😎

9 hours ago, Norman said:

What am I reading? I know we've all been through some right bottle jobs following Derby, but come on.

Barnsley ruled themselves out yesterday.

Peterborough have a horrifc run of games in 21 days and rely on a high energy game. 

Bolton really struggled to beat a poor Bristol Rovers team and haven't taken any more points than us over the last 5 games - and we've had to navigate Portsmouth, Blackpool, and Bolton themselves in that time.

Wycombe are playing a final this evening....beat them and it leaves 2 home games and Cambridge away. 

Honestly, I can see us winning the next 2, and Bolton drawing against Portsmouth, and it all being all being effectively over. Only 6 days to wait.

Tactically I thought it was interesting today how Wycombe played against Posh today. Thought they did well in shutting them down. More of the same against us I suspect…

45 minutes ago, Pompeyoldgit said:

Fair play to Pompey- u guys have been (one small wobble aside) the most consistent team all season and deserve to go up. Your Jan spending/recruitment was good and has paid dividends. It’s not about playing nice football in this league- it’s just about winning games and escaping to the Championship. You guys have done that well.

3 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

I think we thought the same at Northampton….😎

And we responded by beating Blackpool and drawing away to Pompey unfortunate not to win. We lost back to back games in Feb, we responded by winning 4 in a row. In adversity the team generally delivers, even in the Northampton game despite being awful we still should’ve won. Bolton were battered by Bristol by all accounts but managed to win, we destroyed Bristol when we played them. 

We’ve got the tools and are playing well enough to get the wins to get the job done regardless of what Bolton do. 

Also didn’t vale go and beat Barnsley at their place recently? Drew away with Wigan and we’re unfortunate not to win. They’re in a scrap for survival and are picking up form who is to say Bolton won’t drop points against them. Derby are no more or less likely to drop points than Bolton and we’re net second with 4 games left. As others have said you’d have bitten your hand off for this position back in October when we lost to Stevenage. 

It’s time to believe.

2 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

And we responded by beating Blackpool and drawing away to Pompey unfortunate not to win. We lost back to back games in Feb, we responded by winning 4 in a row. In adversity the team generally delivers, even in the Northampton game despite being awful we still should’ve won. Bolton were battered by Bristol by all accounts but managed to win, we destroyed Bristol when we played them. 

We’ve got the tools and are playing well enough to get the wins to get the job done regardless of what Bolton do. 

Also didn’t vale go and beat Barnsley at their place recently? Drew away with Wigan and we’re unfortunate not to win. They’re in a scrap for survival and are picking up form who is to say Bolton won’t drop points against them. Derby are no more or less likely to drop points than Bolton and we’re net second with 4 games left. As others have said you’d have bitten your hand off for this position back in October when we lost to Stevenage. 

It’s time to believe.

Not gonna disagree with your points and analysis 😎👍 Except, I honestly believe we are more likely to lose games than Bolton. Doesn’t mean we won’t win all four … just that I see us either winning or losing( PW’s mantra) games rather than drawing. Whereas Bolton on an off day will draw. Just my feeling at the moment.

How that transpires and what it means to the overall position at the end of the season I really don’t know 😂

Just a massive week for us- we win at Wycombe and Bolton don’t win against Pompey then I think we should be ok. 👌 

5 hours ago, CapeTownRams said:

Of course, each to their own 👍 But I am , particularly after Northampton game, worried about the Wycombe match. The boys have to deliver.

🐏🐏🐏

So am I . I was meaning over the many years of ups and downs.

I originally predicted that we would get 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, and 3 points from the last 6 games - 12 in all, bringing us up to 90 at the end.

We are currently ahead of that because we have 4 points from 2 games not 2.

I also predicted that Bolton would get 1, 3, 3, 1, 3, 1 and 3 points from their last 7 games - 15 in all, bringing them up to 89 points at the end, plus we should still have a superior GD.

They are exactly as predicted so far.

It is possible that they might overtake us at some point briefly, but I still think that we will secure 2nd place in the end.

If Pompey beat them and we beat Orient then it's difficult to see how they would haul themselves past us with 3 games to go.

1 hour ago, StantonRam said:

I originally predicted that we would get 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, and 3 points from the last 6 games - 12 in all, bringing us up to 90 at the end.

We are currently ahead of that because we have 4 points from 2 games not 2.

I also predicted that Bolton would get 1, 3, 3, 1, 3, 1 and 3 points from their last 7 games - 15 in all, bringing them up to 89 points at the end, plus we should still have a superior GD.

They are exactly as predicted so far.

It is possible that they might overtake us at some point briefly, but I still think that we will secure 2nd place in the end.

If Pompey beat them and we beat Orient then it's difficult to see how they would haul themselves past us with 3 games to go.

After Orient there's just 2 games to go...  for us. 3 for Bolton. their extra one is Tuesday 16th against Shrews at the Toughsheet. Here's hoping they have "Toughsheet" 😉

i can see us getting 4 points from Wycombe (D) & Leyton Orient (W) with Bolton getting 4 points from Pompey (D) & Shrewsbury (W) meaning we go into the final 2 games 1 point ahead of Bolton

I see them beating Port Vale at home and us beating Carlisle at home - so we just need to match or better their result vs Peterborough away when we play Cambridge away. I know the fixtures arent in that order but I can see both us & Bolton getting at least 8 points from the final 4 games - matching Warne's magical 2 ppg he always wants

The above would potentially mean us going into the final day in 3rd 😬 we need min 6 points from the next 3 games imo

Edited by DCFC1388

On 07/04/2024 at 20:00, CapeTownRams said:

Fair play to Pompey- u guys have been (one small wobble aside) the most consistent team all season and deserve to go up. Your Jan spending/recruitment was good and has paid dividends. It’s not about playing nice football in this league- it’s just about winning games and escaping to the Championship. You guys have done that well.

Any side that only loses four games is always going to be successful.

3 horse race with Barnsley losing. Got a funny feeling about Peterborough, 6 left to play for them and 4 very winnable games, if they beat Oxford too they'll be right in it.

Orient can’t make the play offs now either after conceding two late goals tonight to only draw.

Well, technically, they can but with Oxford and Lincoln playing each other it would need an 18 goal difference swing over the next three games as well as all remaining results to go their way.