Where do you think we'll finish this season?

11 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Agree with all of this.

If Posh have nothing to play for then Bolton have struck lucky playing a good team at exactly the right time.

Got to hope Bolton don't go on their best run of the season and to be honest if we can't beat Wycombe who will either be hungover or gutted at losing a final with us having a week to prepare then its a bad job. Carlisle is a slam dunk, so just need to win at least one of Leyton Orient or Cambridge.

This is a key point, and is likely to be the case. So a Bolton win looks likely. If Bolton draw with Pompey we will need 10 points from our 4 games.

12 minutes ago, TomTom92 said:

Agree with all of this.

If Posh have nothing to play for then Bolton have struck lucky playing a good team at exactly the right time.

Got to hope Bolton don't go on their best run of the season and to be honest if we can't beat Wycombe who will either be hungover or gutted at losing a final with us having a week to prepare then its a bad job. Carlisle is a slam dunk, so just need to win at least one of Leyton Orient or Cambridge.

We should be beating Wycombe no matter what. The idea that it’s a tough place to go is a bit of a myth. They’ve got the 13th best home record in the league and have only lost 1 more away than they have at home.

We should’ve beat Northampton too, so nothing is a given obviously, but they’re in the bottom half for a reason and we have no excuse not to get 3 points.

In reality, you probably couldn’t hope for a more favourable last 4 games. 12 points should be well within reach, anything less than 10 is poor from us.

How the top 6 will do I think 

portsmouth 

Shrewsbury W

bolton D

Barnsley D

Wigan W

Lincoln L

extra 8 points

Derby

Wycombe L

Orient W

Cambridge W

Carlisle W

extra 9 points

Bolton

Bristol R W

Portsmouth D

shrewsbury W

port Vale W

Peterborough L

Extra 10 points 

Peterborough

port v W

oxford D

fleetwood W

Bristol R W

Cheltenham freak result L

bolton W

extra 12 points

Barnsley 

Charlton W

stevenage D

reading W

portsmouth D

Blackpool L

Northampton W

extra 11 points 

lincoln 

Reading W

Wigan W

oxford D

Cheltenham W

pompey W

Extra 12 points  

Top 2

Portsmouth 

95 points

Derby 

91 points 

Playoffs 

Bolton

88 points 

Peterborough 

86 points 

Barnsley 

85 points 

lincoln 

79 points 

Edited by simmoram1995

8 minutes ago, simmoram1995 said:

How the top 6 will do I think 

portsmouth 

Shrewsbury W

bolton D

Barnsley D

Wigan W

Lincoln L

extra 8 points

Derby

Wycombe L

Orient W

Cambridge W

Carlisle W

extra 9 points

Bolton

Bristol R W

Portsmouth D

shrewsbury W

port Vale W

Peterborough L

Extra 10 points 

Peterborough

port v W

oxford D

fleetwood W

Bristol R W

Cheltenham freak result L

bolton W

extra 12 points

Barnsley 

Charlton W

stevenage D

reading W

portsmouth D

Blackpool L

Northampton W

extra 11 points 

lincoln 

Reading W

Wigan W

oxford D

Cheltenham W

pompey W

Extra 12 points  

Top 2

Portsmouth 

95 points

Derby 

91 points 

Playoffs 

Bolton

88 points 

Peterborough 

86 points 

Barnsley 

85 points 

lincoln 

79 points 

Amen to all of that!

2 minutes ago, TheHomunculusLives said:

It's going to go right to the wire between us and Bolton I think, however we have the points in the bag so I think we're narrow favourites as long as we hold our nerve.

Bookies have us as more than narrow favourites. With SkyBet, we’re 1/3 for automatic promotion, Bolton are 3/1.

The point last night was massive, I think we really have to s*** the bed if we don’t get promoted from this position.

We never seem to be able to turn up agaisnt Wycombe, but with them playing in Wembley on Sunday (hopefully it goes to extra time and penalties) and with nothing to play for we could play a weak and tired Wycombe side with our lads after having an 8 day turn around. I think we could win our last 4 games now especially with players like Barkhuizen, Bird and Fozzy expected back for the last 3 games.

Edited by Eoghan1884

51 minutes ago, TheTinMan said:

Realistically Peterborough should be going into that last game with at least the possibility of overhauling Bolton into 3rd to play for and that alone should be some incentive given the playoff game against the 6th team is likely to be a bit easier than playing Barnsley presumably. 

I would put Lincoln as favourites for the playoffs at the minute. They're on a charge. Bolton are under pressure to catch us & maintaining a gap from the chasing pack. 

I've found myself looking at the fixtures going into the last game, as Peterborough will still likely have a chance. 

Bolton have the ability to win-out, for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get 10pts from their next four games. It would put them on 88pts. The big swing will be their goal difference as they have some favourable home games. 

Bolton | played 45, 88pts | +41 goal difference. 

Peterborough, too, who have some favourable games bar Oxford away. Vale, Fleetwood, Cheltenham & Bristol Rovers are teams they like to beat up on and score goals. I'd say they have opportunity to be within a point of Bolton going into the final day. 

Peterborough | played 45, 87pts | +39 goal difference

We have two away games in our next three, albeit against teams we should do well against. I can see 6-7 points in our next three games, crucially (though), I don't see our goal difference incrementing at the same rate as Bolton and think we will be +39 goal difference. 

Derby | played 45, 88pts | +39 goal difference 

---

I think there is a good chance that Bolton go into the final day in second and end the day finishing 4th. There is no doubt in my mind that it is going to the final day, though. Anything can happen along the way. We could do with Bolton throwing a game, like we did against Northampton, but difficult to see where that would happen. I think they're more likely to have 12pts from their next four than 6 or 7, unfortunately. 

10 minutes ago, Ambitious said:

I've found myself looking at the fixtures going into the last game, as Peterborough will still likely have a chance. 

Bolton have the ability to win-out, for sure, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them get 10pts from their next four games. It would put them on 88pts. The big swing will be their goal difference as they have some favourable home games. 

Bolton | played 45, 88pts | +41 goal difference. 

Peterborough, too, who have some favourable games bar Oxford away. Vale, Fleetwood, Cheltenham & Bristol Rovers are teams they like to beat up on and score goals. I'd say they have opportunity to be within a point of Bolton going into the final day. 

Peterborough | played 45, 87pts | +39 goal difference

We have two away games in our next three, albeit against teams we should do well against. I can see 6-7 points in our next three games, crucially (though), I don't see our goal difference incrementing at the same rate as Bolton and think we will be +39 goal difference. 

Derby | played 45, 88pts | +39 goal difference 

---

I think there is a good chance that Bolton go into the final day in second and end the day finishing 4th. There is no doubt in my mind that it is going to the final day, though. Anything can happen along the way. We could do with Bolton throwing a game, like we did against Northampton, but difficult to see where that would happen. I think they're more likely to have 12pts from their next four than 6 or 7, unfortunately. 

you think Bolton are picking up points against pompey and pboro? I cant see that. Even bristol rovers away is a hard game away from home. They have the worst away from in the league over the last 6 games. Im more concerned about Pboro

I definitely think we need 4 wins for autos. Bolton are at home to Portsmouth and it will be like a cup final for them and I expect them to win. I really don’t think that’s the game they slip up in. 

A lot of pressure on us for the Wycombe game. And then a quick turnaround for Orient at home. The Wycombe game will have many (including me) thinking about the Northampton game. We really need to turn up!

4 minutes ago, jimbobram said:

you think Bolton are picking up points against pompey and pboro? I cant see that. Even bristol rovers away is a hard game away from home. They have the worst away from in the league over the last 6 games. Im more concerned about Pboro

Peterborough is the last game which is why I left it out, equally Bolton host Portsmouth and they have the best home record in the league. They've won the last three on the bounce, scoring 12 in the process. I don't think it's inconceivable they beat Portsmouth. A draw looks most likely. 

Bristol Rovers isn't a tough game at the moment, plus they were never that good at home anyway. Bolton have picked up 33pts on the road this season, Bristol 27 at home. Annoyingly, in their last 5 games at home: they lost to us (understandable), Burton(!!) & Fleetwood (!) and their only win was against Carlisle. They also drew with a poor Shrewsbury team. 

Those two games, along with Vale losing 4 of the last 6 away from home & a poor Shrewsbury team (albeit one that isn't in terrible form on the road of late) makes me think they have a chance of 12pts from their next four games. 10pts most likely. At worst, I think they're getting 8-9pts. 

15 minutes ago, VulcanRam said:

Win all four and it won't matter. Wycombe looks to me to be the banana skin we need to avoid. Horrible place, horrible team and the sort of place we struggle at. Win that and my confidence levels of autos will be through the roof. 

What odds would you ascribe to that outcome happening 

Warne has said on numerous occasions that we can’t waste a half of football. I think this will be key against Wycombe. Tempo. They will slow everything down, throws, free kicks, injuries etc. we are awful when we fall into that trap (Northampton). So we need to play the game at speed. That starts with Wildsmith imo.