Should we just stick with the squad we have now

Curtains

2 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

10.5m deal believed but was officially undisclosed. So no knowledge of components of upfront fee, add ons etc.

Hughes on a similar basis rumoured to be 8m.

Best case then, got 18.5m. academy been cat a for 10 years.

Neither of those players came through the cat 1 academy. 

Not saying don't have any academy. Have a cat 2 one. Fees/costs considerably lower.

Paying 2m pa now for what we have got for the last 7 years or so is not going to be sustainable.

We also get about £1.2m per season from the PL for having a Cat 1 academy

Edited by Ghost of Clough
Noticed others said the same thing

24 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

We also get about £1.2m per season from the PL for having a Cat 1 academy

True.... seems to be 50% of the now minimum operating budget for a cat 1 of 2.5m.

Still a cost of 1.2m pa to be recouped from either selling young players or bringing them through so you can avoid transfer fees.

That's assuming the academy operates at the minimum requirement.

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

True.... seems to be 50% of the now minimum operating budget for a cat 1 of 2.5m.

Still a cost of 1.2m pa to be recouped from either selling young players or bringing them through so you can avoid transfer fees.

Well in the Championship you think that would be easy, tougher in League 1.

8 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

It could be argued that our Cat 1 academy saved the club at one point.........it would have been running for 7 or so years for the cost of Bielik??

When we were flogging proper young talent like Gordon, Kellyman and the likes to pay the bills it seemed to be the only way to survive.

When you look at Ivan 'foam mover' Toney (genius) and the sell-on that Posh may get if he goes to a bigger club, you have to hope that we may benefit in a similar way with one of our emergency sales at some stage in the future.

Let's just hope any sell-ons aren't scuppered by Buchanan / Byrne 'you're not the same Derby County anymore' chicanery.

Reading fans say that without their Academy they wouldn't have a team at the moment. The same was true of us in Administration. Academy sales also kept the lights on, however the value also lost because of that period would have justified the cost of a Category 1 academy for 10 years.

To answer the original question.

Which ever way the transfer window goes, there will be those who say Stick, then moan if we fail and there will be those who say, throw caution to the wind and spend, then moan if we fail.

I believe if you have a good tight knit squad who remain fit (obviously nothing is guaranteed) then maybe just strengthen in your vulnerable areas.

Don't just throw money in (MM) because it is the RIGHT Thing to do and WILL hopefully get us promoted.

So pleased I do not have to make those decisions.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I’d say Adams has been a good addition to the squad even if we will lose Bird at the end of the season due to him wanting a different challenge next season  . That one really hurts as I think he’s a great lad and a fabulous footballer.

Very upset for James Collins and the Derby fans that he’s out for a while but  all the best to him with his recovery.

As regards the original point of the question I would say on reflection Warne was right to add to midfield but it could be difficult without James but we won yesterday so let’s hope we can get promoted with what we have and hopefully Dwight Gayle .

End of the day let’s all as Derby fans stick together and hope we do it. 

PS  Never write players off as Sonny Bradley was brilliant yesterday 

On 18/02/2024 at 08:40, Curtains said:

Well I’d say Adams has been a good addition to the squad even if we will lose Bird at the end of the season due to him wanting a different challenge next season  . That one really hurts as I think he’s a great lad and a fabulous footballer.

Very upset for James Collins and the Derby fans that he’s out for a while but  all the best to him with his recovery.

As regards the original point of the question I would say on reflection Warne was right to add to midfield but it could be difficult without James but we won yesterday so let’s hope we can get promoted with what we have and hopefully Dwight Gayle .

End of the day let’s all as Derby fans stick together and hope we do it. 

PS  Never write players off as Sonny Bradley was brilliant yesterday 

“If we lose Bird “? He’s gone . Gayle is the talking point now . Newcastle fans say - He has hamstrings like violin strings . We will have to be very careful with him or he will be joining the crew in the treatment room .

16 minutes ago, jimtastic56 said:

“If we lose Bird “? He’s gone . Gayle is the talking point now . Newcastle fans say - He has hamstrings like violin strings . We will have to be very careful with him or he will be joining the crew in the treatment room .

Don’t disagree but with Waggy and Wash (as Warne likes to call them), nearly ready for game time, it’s likely the next 3-4 weeks most critical, as I expect both those pair will come back and play a bigger part in the games towards the back end of next month and into April.

Daft as it sounds, they probably all could be good for 30 minutes in any game, but expecting 90 minutes might be pushing it until the last few matches.

3 minutes ago, Zag zig said:

Don’t disagree but with Waggy and Wash (as Warne likes to call them), nearly ready for game time, it’s likely the next 3-4 weeks most critical, as I expect both those pair will come back and play a bigger part in the games towards the back end of next month and into April.

Daft as it sounds, they probably all could be good for 30 minutes in any game, but expecting 90 minutes might be pushing it until the last few matches.

I would be surprised if Waggy and Wash play a game this month. It was recently revealed that we were in for Harry  Leonard from Blackburn and their manager pulled the plug on the deal in the eleventh hour. That's why we did'nt get any strikers in. But why go for a 20yr old from Blackburn who has scored 3 goals in 22 apps and send Dajaune Brown out on loan, only a couple of years younger with possibly better potential. Warne knew he had Waggy and Wash out and then during the Reading game John-Jules gets injured and with 8 days prior to the window shutting, he should have had a plan B for incoming strikers.

1 hour ago, plymouthram said:

I would be surprised if Waggy and Wash play a game this month. It was recently revealed that we were in for Harry  Leonard from Blackburn and their manager pulled the plug on the deal in the eleventh hour. That's why we did'nt get any strikers in. But why go for a 20yr old from Blackburn who has scored 3 goals in 22 apps and send Dajaune Brown out on loan, only a couple of years younger with possibly better potential. Warne knew he had Waggy and Wash out and then during the Reading game John-Jules gets injured and with 8 days prior to the window shutting, he should have had a plan B for incoming strikers.

Leonard has had 3 goals and two assists in @830 mins of football this season and at Championship level too. That's a goal contribution every 170 minutes or so which ain't shabby, though I concede I know nothing of him first hand.

Promising as Dajaune is, he's only started one game for Gateshead as yet. He deserves a chance to acclimatise to men's football in a slightly less pressure-cooker-type environment than he'd experience in our men's team right now. Also, Collo was not injured at the time and would have been the starting at 9 more games than not.