Should we just stick with the squad we have now

Curtains

1 minute ago, plymouthram said:

Intresting to see it's a loan that we had to pay Charlton £300,000 for his services. I wonder if there is a clause in the loan contract, that means he can't play against Charlton. We still have to play them twice !!!

According to BBC Radio Derby and The DET’s reporters he CAN play against Charlton 

2 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

Intresting to see it's a loan that we had to pay Charlton £300,000 for his services. I wonder if there is a clause in the loan contract, that means he can't play against Charlton. We still have to play them twice !!!

According to Dom Deitrich he can play v Charlton 

How can he sign for us when he's still a Charlton player, I thought pre-contract agreements in January were only for 'non-English' players?

"When can a pre-contract agreement be signed?

This answer differs depending on the clubs involved. English clubs can approach a player registered to any European club - and indeed, any club outside of England - when he enters the final six months of his contract and negotiate a pre-contract agreement.

This also applies in reverse, with non-English clubs permitted to negotiate pre-contract agreements with players registered to English clubs.

However, the rules are different when it comes to negotiations involving two English clubs. Teams can only approach a player playing in the same nation when he enters the final month of his contract, when the domestic season ends. The FA implement this to avoid a situation where a player signs a pre-contract agreement with another club mid-season, and then faces his new club in a match."

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

How can he sign for us when he's still a Charlton player, I thought pre-contract agreements in January were only for 'non-English' players?

"When can a pre-contract agreement be signed?

This answer differs depending on the clubs involved. English clubs can approach a player registered to any European club - and indeed, any club outside of England - when he enters the final six months of his contract and negotiate a pre-contract agreement.

This also applies in reverse, with non-English clubs permitted to negotiate pre-contract agreements with players registered to English clubs.

However, the rules are different when it comes to negotiations involving two English clubs. Teams can only approach a player playing in the same nation when he enters the final month of his contract, when the domestic season ends. The FA implement this to avoid a situation where a player signs a pre-contract agreement with another club mid-season, and then faces his new club in a match."

Oh god, the EFL have tricked us into breaking the rules again haven't they...!Mad The Simpsons GIF

1 minute ago, Carnero said:

Oh god, the EFL have tricked us into breaking the rules again haven't they...!

Nah doesnt sound like the EFL, its more likely to be a rule that they haven't invented yet.

My money is on it being that you're only allowed one winger with a double barrelled surname.

(Just in case you're reading Couhig, this was a joke)

At a guess it's officially a free transfer at the end of the loan, not him going out of contract and signing for us or a pre contract if that's against the rules. Or perhaps, signing on loan then pre contract is allowed as the player is already registered to you. Whatever it is, the EFL have obviously permitted it so it's all fine.

6 minutes ago, Ram@Lincoln said:

At a guess it's officially a free transfer at the end of the loan, not him going out of contract and signing for us or a pre contract if that's against the rules. Or perhaps, signing on loan then pre contract is allowed as the player is already registered to you. Whatever it is, the EFL have obviously permitted it so it's all fine.

Lets not get too carried away, the EFL also permitted our ground sale and amortisation policy and look how that ended 😂

2 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Can't afford the academy for what good we get from it....

Really?

The sales of Hughes and Hedrick will have covered the running costs for 3 years (as well as them being important members of a team that should have reached the Premier League).

I daresay there are others that were snaffled whilst we were in admin that would have covered another few years of running costs.

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Really?

The sales of Hughes and Hedrick will have covered the running costs for 3 years (as well as them being important members of a team that should have reached the Premier League).

I daresay there are others that were snaffled whilst we were in admin that would have covered another few years of running costs.

Min £2m per season academy budget required to be cat A

Hughes was sold nearly 7 years ago.

Those sums are not likely to add up unless we're producing steady revenue from sales (we were raided during admin) or are producing half the 1st team.

4 minutes ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

Min £2m per season academy budget required to be cat A

Hughes was sold nearly 7 years ago.

Those sums are not likely to add up unless we're producing steady revenue from sales (we were raided during admin) or are producing half the 1st team.

You forgot about Hedrick.

£12m was it? So 6 years worth of running costs, plus the benefit of him playing for us for 3 or 4 seasons was it?

8 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You forgot about Hedrick.

£12m was it? So 6 years worth of running costs, plus the benefit of him playing for us for 3 or 4 seasons was it?

10.5m deal believed but was officially undisclosed. So no knowledge of components of upfront fee, add ons etc.

Hughes on a similar basis rumoured to be 8m.

Best case then, got 18.5m. academy been cat a for 10 years.

Neither of those players came through the cat 1 academy. 

Not saying don't have any academy. Have a cat 2 one. Fees/costs considerably lower.

Paying 2m pa now for what we have got for the last 7 years or so is not going to be sustainable.

So as of today the current first team squad is;

GK - Vickers

GK - Wildsmith

GK - Loach

LB - Forsyth

LB - Elder

RB - Nyambe

RB - Wilson

CB - Nelson

CB - Cashin

CB - Bradley

CM - Smith

CM - Bird

CM - Hourihane

CM - Thompson

CM - Sibley

CM - Fornah

RM(?) - Ward

WF - Mendez-Laing

WF - Barkhuizen

WF - Blackett-Taylor

CF - Collins

CF - John-Jules

CF - Washington

CF - Waghorn

Some options in the academy, some of those named above capable of covering a couple of positions, a couple still making their way back from injury. 
Is it enough when everyone is fit? Have I missed anyone? 

Seeing it listed like that I’d actually be concerned with the cover at CB if Nelson or Cashin got injured or suspended, not a slight on Bradley just in terms on numbers. I suppose Foz could cover too. 

Edited by Caerphilly Ram