Amazon Prime to start charging £2.99 per month for movies

Unless you're prepared to watch ads from 5th Feb.

TBH, it is the last place I look for something and has had very little can't miss stuff for me (I'm one of the few who thought Reacher was utter pony), so I guess I'll just not bother.

Will anybody pay the £2.99?

Edited by Bob The Badger

Cancelled Prime within 5 mins of receiving the email.

I’m sure they won’t go out of business, I just can’t justify the ever rising costs of subscription packages. 

The next Netflix increase I’m out of there as well.

I'm torn on this. I'm outraged at them charging a fee, but I use the shopping side of Prime for so much.

With regard to the Prime Video, over the years, I think they've had some corking programmes. All the Bosch, Man in the High Castle, Jack Ryan, Sneaky Pete, Mr Robot, The Boys, Hand of God to name but a few are brilliant.

I want to bin it off, on principle, but having just discussed it, the savings I make on Prime Deliveries kind of mean I cannot.

Think I've only ever watched one thing on Prime, and that was thanks to binge-watching whilst on a free-trial.

Was an excellent watch though to be fair... it was about a romantic moonlit evening in Yorkshire, that turned into a nightmare as the locals got over-ran with killer sheep everywhere!
Even their all-empowering gyrating neckerchiefs couldn't repel the fleeced foe. 
Think it was called "Leeds.  Leeds are falling apart again" or something equally profound?

🐏

52 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'm torn on this. I'm outraged at them charging a fee, but I use the shopping side of Prime for so much.

With regard to the Prime Video, over the years, I think they've had some corking programmes. All the Bosch, Man in the High Castle, Jack Ryan, Sneaky Pete, Mr Robot, The Boys, Hand of God to name but a few are brilliant.

I want to bin it off, on principle, but having just discussed it, the savings I make on Prime Deliveries kind of mean I cannot.

I hate adverts, but Bosch Legacy was on one of their channels with adverts in it and I barely noticed it. Might be ok maybe?

I did utter a quiet expletive when I got the email (even though I knew it was coming).  I only have Prime Video because I have Amazon Prime, which as a family we use a lot. But like @Mostyn6says, there is some good stuff - the list he made is bang on, plus Deadloch, The Power, Clarkson's Farm, Carnival Row, Terminal List, Devil's Hour and The Rig. Not sure it justifies paying another £36 a year though. 

People that have paid annual Prime memberships have been receiving the same email, I'm sure there's something in the small print that will cover their arses on this, but still doesn't sit right. None of this should come as a surprise with Amazon tbh.

Dunno - I only ever paid for Prime so I could get free next day delivery on stuff (and crucially - the painless returns process). To me the TV stuff is an extra. Haven't watched much on there, but do watch stuff occasionally.

They claim that the ads will be minimal, so I guess I'll see how annoying it is when I next end up bingeing something on Amazon Prime. My guess is that it will have to be REALLY annoying to make be pay an extra £3 a month

You'd think by now that the advertising industry would have realised that ads on streaming services are pointless. When watching something on All4 or ITVX with ads, the second they come on - people just pick up their phones and look at those until the ads are over

Media content was always a bonus, only recently found you could download games as well for free.

I use Amazon a lot and the savings on delivery more than covers the cost, as they have given an option to continue for free, it's not a problem for me.

1 hour ago, Returning ram said:

Media content was always a bonus, only recently found you could download games as well for free.

I use Amazon a lot and the savings on delivery more than covers the cost, as they have given an option to continue for free, it's not a problem for me.

I love Prime, and we buy a LOT of stuff from Amazon being in the sticks with deliveries almost every day, so I'm happy with that. I suppose with me/us, we'll just not bother watching it as much or even at all.

12 hours ago, ariotofmyown said:

I hate adverts, but Bosch Legacy was on one of their channels with adverts in it and I barely noticed it. Might be ok maybe?

On your recommendation a LOVED Bosch but though legacy was pants. I watched it so I suppose I must have ut up with the ads, honestly cannot remember.

33 minutes ago, Bob The Badger said:

I love Prime, and we buy a LOT of stuff from Amazon being in the sticks with deliveries almost every day, so I'm happy with that. I suppose with me/us, we'll just not bother watching it as much or even at all.

On your recommendation a LOVED Bosch but though legacy was pants. I watched it so I suppose I must have ut up with the ads, honestly cannot remember.

It started a bit weak but got better, especially when the older characters started to reappear.

I've got Netflix, Prime and Disney, cancelled my Sky subscription and just use my smart TV. That's plenty in my opinion. Amazon have seen a business opportunity because they know full well how many people now have a Prime account purely for shopping and who use both TV and shopping. They don't see that many people cancelling subscriptions because they offer way more than just TV. Netflix don't have the same capability to do it. 

It'll keep shareholders happy.

I’m a tiny bit miffed, all the little increases add up, but I watch enough on Prime to not want to give it up. I guess it depends on how many adverts (the number of ad breaks and how long they last) there will be. I watch plenty on ITVX, 4 and My5 with ads that I can cope with so I’ll probably just put up with them. I certainly won’t be cancelling. In my case, I’d just be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

15 minutes ago, Tamworthram said:

I’m a tiny bit miffed, all the little increases add up, but I watch enough on Prime to not want to give it up. I guess it depends on how many adverts (the number of ad breaks and how long they last) there will be. I watch plenty on ITVX, 4 and My5 with ads that I can cope with so I’ll probably just put up with them. I certainly won’t be cancelling. In my case, I’d just be cutting off my nose to spite my face.

If you do mate, I can highly recommend these guys...

20315832227239.567463ca36d22.jpg

On 04/01/2024 at 19:29, ketteringram said:

All the people saying they only really have prime for the free next day delivery.....

As someone who has probably bought two items in total from Amazon, what on earth is it that you're ordering so often, and why is it so important to have it delivered the next day? 

I have certain items on subscription, so I get deliveries every 1-6 months (depending on the item) so I don't have to quickly nip out to the shop to pick them up when I inevitably tun out and forgot to get them when grocery shopping - cat litter, cat food, toilet roll, kitchen paper, AAA batteries, dishwasher tablets, etc... Some people will do a full grocery shop.

Then there's birthday and Christmas presents. Clothes, gadgets, games and all sorts of stuff that I want throughout the year... 

Free delivery on Prime is more patient than and greener for the environment than nipping down to the shops each time I want to buy something as soon as I remember I need it.

43 minutes ago, Rambam said:

Their movie content is terrible compared with Netflix. 
They’ve already tested the water with Freevee. 
They can do one. 

I haven't received notice yet that I will have to pay for the streaming service, but I can't remember the last film I watched on Amazon. I have watched several series, but I won't be paying to remove ads.

14 hours ago, richinspain said:

I haven't received notice yet that I will have to pay for the streaming service, but I can't remember the last film I watched on Amazon. I have watched several series, but I won't be paying to remove ads.

Cancel all subscriptions and put the money towards a visit to the promised land to see the promotion party in the Market Place. I'll buy you a pint in Jorrocks.

COYR.