Promotion Rivals Watch

sage

1 hour ago, Crewton said:

The only promotion rivals of ours that have beaten Reading convincingly are Pompey 4-1 and Barnsley 3-1. They've beaten Stevenage twice, Bolton once and drawn with Peterborough??????????????

Would you like me to post up a link to a Dementia test owd lad?

i'll keep off the ale before i write anything on here again..haha

11 hours ago, OwdGladysHinton said:

now 3-0 up..all our rivals winning convincingly yet we make hard work of Reading.

While it was only 2-1 it was probably the most convincing 2-1 you’ll ever see. Could have easily been 4 or 5, their keeper other than the pen made some good saves, we hit the post and they barely created anything. You could argue our 3 best performances of the season have been the last 3 games. We look to be hitting form at precisely the right time. Bring it on.

Stevenage absolutely battered Peterborough, who didn’t get a kick until their breakaway penalty. Can’t believe I was routing for Stevenage but they played well but didn’t score early on otherwise I think Peterborough would have folded like a pack of cards.

48 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

None of the other top five play next weekend, so it's an opportunity to go seven points clear with six points to go. 

Grr. Damn the typos. An opportunity to move seven points clear with six GAMES to go. Away at Northampton who are mid-table with nothing to play for. Hopefully already on the beach.

5 hours ago, Carl Sagan said:

Grr. Damn the typos. An opportunity to move seven points clear with six GAMES to go. Away at Northampton who are mid-table with nothing to play for. Hopefully already on the beach.

Or, given that every silver lining has a cloud.

Away at Northampton who are mid-table with nothing to worry about. Probably a relaxed and calm display.

50 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

Away at Northampton who are mid-table with nothing to worry about. Probably a relaxed and calm display.

Hope the players don't have this mind set going into the game. Or today's hard work could be for nothing. We need to be focused and fully committed for the next seven games. Treet each game as a play-off final, to make sure we won't need to play an actual play-off final.

15 hours ago, 1of4 said:

Hope the players don't have this mind set going into the game. Or today's hard work could be for nothing. We need to be focused and fully committed for the next seven games. Treet each game as a play-off final, to make sure we won't need to play an actual play-off final.

I can't see Warne and co letting that happen.

17 hours ago, 1of4 said:

I hope they do have that mind set. Got to be prepared to fight and scrap for everything, as they did today. Can't expect an easy ride from anyone.

18 hours ago, Grimbeard said:

31 minutes ago, Grimbeard said:

I hope they do have that mind set. Got to be prepared to fight and scrap for everything, as they did today. Can't expect an easy ride from anyone.

Make your mind up. One post you want the team to be calm and relaxed when we play Northampton. Then in your next post you say they need to fight and scrap for everything.

So which style are you advocating we adopt for the next game?

5 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Make your mind up. One post you want the team to be calm and relaxed when we play Northampton. Then in your next post you say they need to fight and scrap for everything.

So which style are you advocating we adopt for the next game?

No, in my first post I was pointing out that Northampton, having nowt to play for, might be relaxed and calm rather than being 'already on the beach'.

• 2 weeks later...

Today's (fantastic) results:

• Wycombe 1 Portsmouth 3
  • RAMS 1 Blackpool 0
  • Stevenage 0 Bolton 0
  • Peterborough 1 Carlisle 3
  • Barnsley 0 Cambridge 2

The race for automatics now looks like this:

image.thumb.png.bbab586d37a10d1710f30236a45bf32d.png

I've added a new column of maximum points each of the five can achieve. It tells us that four wins and a draw now guarantees promotion (as that takes us to 94 points). As the games unfold, we hope the final task will become easier. We don't play again until the big game away at Portsmouth on Tuesday, by which point this table will have changed. Monday's key fixtures are:

• Bolton vs Reading
  • Orient vs Peterborough
  • Burton vs Barnsley

Bottling second now would probably do me in more than the Reading game under Mcclaren 14/15, this is a great position with so few games remaining.

Bird and Barks to come back too 

Bolton at home to reading

Barnsley away at Burton

Lincoln away at Carlisle

Peterborough away at Leyton Orient

So, I guess it's a big c'mon to reading (books, magazines, health and safety folders, whatever takes your fancy), brewing, carlisling and the mysterious orient.