Derby v Peterborough

B4’s Sister

1 minute ago, Eastdevonram said:

If we had the energy they have got we would of won that, centre midfield definitely need some energy, still think our experienced squad well make the difference at the closing stages of the season, 

We just need players that have pace, energy, quality and experience all in one

6 minutes ago, sage said:

Last season he had a bad game at Barnsley and never looked quite the same again. I hope the Oxford error doesn't set him off on a bad run again.

Second goal is a weird one, almost in slow motion. Think he maybe dived too early, perhaps had time to take a step and then dive.

8 minutes ago, RIMBAUD said:

They were better than us. They moved the ball well at pace and we did well to be in front twice but the better team won. 

I was impressed by how hard we worked. That was partly down to the fact that they used the ball better than we did. 

Shout out to Collins. Thought he worked his thingies off today. 

He did, im no fan of his but his workrate was fantastic .. grest first goal and he played well with the ball which is my biggest annoyance with him.

think it showed where we need to recruit JJ moved higher up and collins almost dropped off .. a link up player he is not despite his gallant efforts today.

The players posh brought on maintained their momentum and threat.. sibley and tommo didnt add to ours .. tommos not that type of player and sibley imo is over hyped 

3 minutes ago, Justa said:

Just got home and feel pretty down about that 😞

Not going to pick on anyone although I do dislike the way that we sit back when we go a goal up.

But to be honest we were beaten by a better team - the pace, movement and fitness they possess showed what we are missing - anyone that thinks Peterborough didn’t deserve that must have been watching a different game - I mean I get we are always going to be biased but we really can’t complain at the result - just a shame our defence which has been so good let us down.

Their no 14 was excellent and I imagine more championship clubs would be looking at him rather than Bird who was anonymous again.
Thinking about it I would take most of their front line and midfielders over ours 😞

I think that game has made me realise that we aren’t good enough for the top two which I had begun to hope we might be !

But we have a more experienced squad that might be better at the end of the season, they won't be able to keep those energy levels up till the end of the season

16 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

A good contest between two well matched sides, but we let ourselves down in the last 15 minutes. It was desperately disappointing.

Peterborough are a good team - good in possession, plenty of dynamism, athleticism, pace, power and movement - and they acquitted themselves well. They deserve credit as their heads never dropped and they kept pushing us.

However we gifted them the three points with two uncharacteristically poor moments in defence. If you go 2-1 up and get to the 80 minute mark in a winning position, defend well and force the opposition to do something special to get back into the game. Instead we conceded two goals of the poorest quality and that will sting for a while.

It’s not a time to be too hard on Warne or the players. 8 wins in 10 shows they are giving everything they can. All we can do now is bounce back quickly and win on Saturday. Anything less and Portsmouth, Peterborough and Bolton will soon be out of sight.

I normally agree with much of what you say but I can’t today - were we really well matched? I mean don’t get me wrong it was a cracking game but I don’t think we matched them for pace, energy and movement despite the fact we worked very hard.

Their no 14 was absolute quality 😞

1 minute ago, NottsRam77 said:

He did, im no fan of his but his workrate was fantastic .. grest first goal and he played well with the ball which is my biggest annoyance with him.

think it showed where we need to recruit JJ moved higher up and collins almost dropped off .. a link up player he is not despite his gallant efforts today.

The players posh brought on maintained their momentum and threat.. sibley and tommo didnt add to ours .. tommos not that type of player and sibley imo is over hyped 

Not sure why Thommo played out on the wing….

2 minutes ago, Eastdevonram said:

But we have a more experienced squad that might be better at the end of the season, they won't be able to keep those energy levels up till the end of the season

Well they have more chance than we do ! Their oldest starting player was 26 today I believe !

And look how we tired last season !

Thought the same thing throughout the game. We are a decent side but we need a couple of signings to give everyone a lift. 

Nelson deserves all the praise this season, and before anyone takes this out of context I was on the Nelson bandwagon before all of you, but he can have these lapses of being headstrong. He didn’t need to come across, or if you are it’s not about just winning the header it’s about winning the header and making sure it clears the box. But it’s one of them and it happens, I just think there’s maybe been a few instances recently when we have to trust another player and deal with the consequences. Another was when Ward tripped that player for the penalty a few weeks back, when he had Nelson coming across and Wildsmith coming out. 

Good game though and a good advert for what this league is. Peterborough very good, thought we had them under control for large parts but they really did their homework. Stretched the midfield and attacked the fullbacks who weren’t given protection. Warne changed it, we looked better and he got his subs right at half time too. But the problem was. it was too early for that gamble and Peterborough took control again and Thompson wasn’t ready for 45 so our midfield became stretched again. Ward needs to pull his finger out or else he’s going to get some backlash because his effect on the game was minimal in what was a good opportunity to really make a statement. But yeah that aside it was a good game and I don’t think you’d complain if either side had come out with a last minute winner. I don’t think it’s the type of game we look back on in May and go ‘we dropped 3 points there’ fortunately our previous two games put us in a decent position going into today so I have no complaints with where we are.

Little thing for those who want penalties to be hit hard at the goal, if it does get saved it’s hard for keepers to control where the ball goes and there’s a good chance it falls straight back to you. 

6 minutes ago, Eastdevonram said:

We just need players that have pace, energy, quality and experience all in one

I’d settle for pace and energy as quality can be developed and experience is overrated. We have a squad of players with largely one gear, second to the ball most of the time. Bird and Hourihane seem to play at exhibition pace.

22 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

Ill be honest i didnt think they deserved to lose it either. 

we were ok , but god dam our collective defending is poor… some terribke decision making… love to know why fozzy was where he was for their first 

got to give posh credit … they just keep finding young, pacey , strong and talented attacking players … on that note 

i said it start of the season.. but what does sibley bring to the table 

if we could swap him and barks for two of their attacking players wed be strumming this league by now 

we couldnt handle them , always a threat always a menace. Thats what good attacking players look like

Those players are out there we have to look harder and smarter 

do think theres something about John jules … just needs some fine tuning and learn to stay on his feet a bit more .. but theres definitely some talent there  

Amazing how Posh keep finding these players…

I almost hate to say it, but I agree about Sibs… homegrown player and love him for that. He also has had his stellar moments for sure. BUT. I really don’t think he can bring enough often enough..:

I love this forum. The comments are so much more balanced than the noise on X. Plus there's a while lot less Florist trolls.

Disappointed about today's result, obviously, but it's not the end of the world. Win our game-in-hand and we're level with Posh. We've then got Bolton still to come to us. In terms of really tough games we have Portsmouth (A) and Barnsley (A) and we have Peterborough, Bolton and Stevenage home. A good transfer window and we can still nick one of the auto places.

7 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Not sure why Thommo played out on the wing….

No im not tbh… energy perhaps or maybe to try and help out the fullback a bit more cos they were killing us 

warnes not daft , we tried to add to our attacking options last window, hes made no secret he still wants to and we lost that embleton lad who looked quite a nice little link player .

we’ll add something iv no doubt… were not badly positioned at all moving into the january window .. am v hopeful moving forward 

8 minutes ago, caymanram said:

Amazing how Posh keep finding these players…

I almost hate to say it, but I agree about Sibs… homegrown player and love him for that. He also has had his stellar moments for sure. BUT. I really don’t think he can bring enough often enough..:

Agree, im not hating on him and will always want him to succeed whilst hes a ram but u look at the kids posh had terrorising us today u look at sibs contribution .. and todays not in isolation 

his problem is hes neither quick or strong.. if u have those attributes ur always a threat no matter how badly ur playing. For a clever / tecnical player hes not really any better than many in his genre.

as u say a few stella moments cant keep papering over general disappointment 

Edited by NottsRam77