January Reinforcements

sage

When looking at Peterborough and Derby's announcements for Mason Clark and Bird, the tone difference between each PR statement is night and day. Peterborough are presenting it rather positive, there's a quote from the owner explaining the deal, the positives and excitement in retaining the player on loan. We have a rather defeatist statement, defined by the headline tweet announcing it - though

Communication between the club hierarchy, external media and supporters has been utterly dire. Only recently Warne was hyping up Bird saying how much he'd cost to buy, was it £100m to Saudi or something daft? Now he's at Bristol City, as mid table of a Championship team as you can get.

For Bird, as previously said, it's a great move - he joins a pal in Jason Knight and a club proven at developing and selling on young talent for big fees. At Derby, he's leaving a club seemingly stuck in the mud a little and a manager reluctant to play youth. Saying that, I really hope now this allows Robinson, Fapetu and co a chance to get first team minutes so they can develop for prominent roles next season.

13 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

And why would you measure him by anything other than him being able to get a team promoted from League One, that is the division that we are in. 

Because I'm making an overall assessment of his abilities. It doesn't mean I don't think he can get the job done, although surely you must be able to acknowledge what he isn't currently offering much which marks him out as the promotion expert he's labelled as? 

I'm not against bringing in managers to achieve a short term goal in the right circumstances, but most often it's the case that appointments like that are made in order to maintain your status when things are going badly, not to push a club onwards.

I don't believe you have to be a particularly good manager to achieve promotion from League One, not even the Championship. Look at Phil Brown and Aidy Boothroyd for example - both poor managers but have achieved more than Paul Warne ever has or ever will, IMO.

Edited by May Contain Nuts

Charlie Wyke to Rotherham and Georgie Kelly to Carlisle. Either of them I would've liked as competition for Collins. That Kelly has been linked with us throughout Warne's time with us, Rotherham fans seem rather sad he's left. Doesn't score many but hasn't had many minutes to be fair, they all love his work rate and desire. Missed out on one there, surely cheap enough, available and has previous with Warne.

If you think Warne should stay at the club longer than Bird.

theres the issue he’s never going to be excepted if he gets us up or not. 
he’s not one of our own now he’s selling our own for chips.. 

he’s a clown… no more will I protect that prat.. 

1 minute ago, TomTom92 said:

Everyone knew the score by 5 o’clock. 

Fair play if you want to stay positive but it’s a disgrace not to land a striker at all. There was me thinking Gregory was poor. 

Genuinely flabbergasted. Alright though because Wash is back soon.

Yes, but surely if we are under restrictions and have to sell first to bring players in, then any incoming movement is dependent on any outgoing deal being completed first?

Maybe if Bristol City had acted sooner, we might have seen the trickle down effect.

Disappointing? Maybe. A disgrace? Not when we are the mercy of the EFL (and other clubs know this!) who have to ratify deals first and foremost and it’s not something they will do on an if, but or a maybe.

47 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

I’m on the same page as you. I’d have liked us to sign a striker for sure, but don’t think it’s as terrible as some are making out (whilst respecting their right to that opinion).

We’ve added a couple of players, have some to come back from injury. All I can do now is wait and see how the season unfolds. 

Yeah, keep the faith I’m an optimist though feeling other contenders, regardless of circumstance, have come out the window maybe a little better than us but…

47 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Let’s see what happens. 17 games to go, 51 points to play for.

Feels like a fingers crossed, hope it works out but hey, new midfielder, decent winger on paper, maybe Waggy and Wash back if it’s play offs, who knows 🤷‍♂️

One year our luck might be in, that’s why we keep believing 🐑 

The last day of the Jan transfer window is always a bit crappy in a crappy window that doesn’t really suit anyone. 

Only way I think it would work would be to give Prem two weeks to sort their dealings, the can have it in that weird break bit they have, then have the champ cut off a week after then league 1 & 2 a few days after that. Yes everyone gets plenty of time it sort these things but when you are waiting for everyone else to make their signings so they can move someone on then ofcourse everything is going to go to the wire. All you have is players stuck at clubs not getting game time because everyone’s looking for the best deal which could fall through or never happen.

FWIW, the frustration I’ve read today reminds me of what I saw from Pompey fans last year. We have to go for it this year but it’s worth pointing out that this league for most clubs is a grind and it takes a while for everything to fall into place whether it’s on the pitch or off it or even finding the financial budget.

Also I really don’t like the ITK stuff, I don’t mean it disrespectfully but I’m not sure it helps people when there’s such ups and downs throughout the day.

3 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

They probably should have sorted it out a while ago by giving him a deadline to accept or be sold then.  

Obviously the club wanted to keep Max, hence why he is still here on loan.

It was probably in Bristol City’s interest to prolong negotiations and wear us down to make a deal.

The money will still make a difference.

1 minute ago, Jourdan said:

It was probably in Bristol City’s interest to prolong negotiations and wear us down to make a deal.

To what??  

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Yes, but surely if we are under restrictions and have to sell first to bring players in, then any incoming movement is dependent on any outgoing deal being completed first?

Maybe if Bristol City had acted sooner, we might have seen the trickle down effect.

Disappointing? Maybe. A disgrace? Not when we are the mercy of the EFL (and other clubs know this!) who have to ratify deals first and foremost and it’s not something they will do on an if, but or a maybe.

Put a deal sheet in and tell Bristol to hurry up. Or tell them to hurry up at 5 and threaten to cancel the deal if they don’t seal it pronto. 

Plus we had a whole month to address this issue. 

No way should we be going in to the run in with 1 fit striker. I’m sorry even Burton and Carlisle have signed a striker. Dreadful.

6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

He's here on loan to prevent a meltdown.  It hasn't worked clearly and we now have a 5 month passenger we're still paying ,trying to avoid injury.

8 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

Or maybe paul warne has no pulling power to the players we are after, thats why this happens every transfer window? Sh*t style of football! Funny how we only sign players our current players have had the effect on players to sign for us not warnes nicey nicey text messages!