January Reinforcements

sage

8 minutes ago, Oldben said:

I assume, that's partly because of those players being either too old or towards the end of their contracts

Edwards has 18 months left on his contract, just like Cashin.

Hughes was sold less than 6 months after he signed a new 3 and a half year deal.

56 minutes ago, TINMANTED said:

is edwards £6m better than cash,or do boro board have a harder negotiating method than the rams?we always seem to let our talent go for peanuts

You can only sell for what someone is willing to pay. Plus previously we let our talent go because they unwanted, which never helps with the price.

Some just can't let the past go. CM has had his time. He doesn't fit the mould and although scoring regularly now, hasn't really proved much over the last 4 or 5 years. 

I would be very disappointed if we went in for him (as much as I loved him in his heyday). 

Just now, Black ('n' White) Sheep said:

Squad depth/players with potential wise, I went to watch Curzon Ashton v Southport on Boxing Day (yes, I know... I'm weird) and they had a couple of players that looked to have potential to make a step up... these being Devon Matthews (CB) and Stefan Mols (CM). Both in their early 20s.

A gamble…a bit like signing players from the Scottish leagues 😊

1 hour ago, Ghost of Clough said:

Edwards has 18 months left on his contract, just like Cashin.

Hughes was sold less than 6 months after he signed a new 3 and a half year deal.

In Peterboroughs case its all about Ivan Toney, they receive 30% of the sell on fee. Assume that's 80 million or more.

Leigh Curtis said earlier the Blackett-Taylor link won’t go away. Cant imagine he’d be too much as he’s in the last 6 months of his contract. He also could want to leave as it doesn’t look like Charlton will be gettin top 6 this season. I also noticed on instagram he seems to be friends with Kane Wilson and NML. Two guys who are enjoying their football this season at Derby. Hopefully they can sway him to come to the East Midlands if we are interested. 

3 hours ago, TINMANTED said:

is edwards £6m better than cash,or do boro board have a harder negotiating method than the rams?we always seem to let our talent go for peanuts

He might well be £6m better to be fair. Maybe not in terms of performances right now, but as an investment. I love Cashin but I don't think he'll end up a top-six PL regular. Don't know much about Edwards but if there's a chance he will then the future gap in value will be immense.

Agree we've not been great at getting value over the years, but a lot of our best players haven't kicked on as we thought after they left the club. Maybe they weren't quite as undervalued as we thought. 

4 minutes ago, Eoghan1884 said:

IMG_3215.thumb.jpeg.b4931006ad387a37ae9e473fad7eca9d.jpegIMG_3216.thumb.jpeg.c9c8651f7c33265e15a4dee93ece482b.jpeg

👀

You wouldn't think that Charlton are in a very strong position in this instance. He's 26 years old, so he can go for free at the end of the season and being 14 points off 7th place, they are very unlikely to make the play offs.

However, Charlton seem to be throwing money around ATM, so might be able to keep him with a lucrative contract offer.

1 minute ago, ram59 said:

You wouldn't think that Charlton are in a very strong position in this instance. He's 26 years old, so he can go for free at the end of the season and being 14 points off 7th place, they are very unlikely to make the play offs.

However, Charlton seem to be throwing money around ATM, so might be able to keep him with a lucrative contract offer.

Seems he wants out, a lot of their fans reckon sell him as they won’t be near the playoffs this year. So who knows.

On 31/12/2023 at 08:55, Caerphilly Ram said:

Just having a nose on TwXtter and found a little “suggestion” post for Derby signings, one of the replies to that thread suggested Ronan Coughlan who’s available on a free having just about finished his deal with Waterford. Never heard of the bloke, but a quick Google shows he’s linked with Fleetwood having just scored 36 goals in 37 games this season as Waterford earned promotion from the Irish first division. 
Clearly a lower standard of league, but at 27 years old and on a free could he be worth signing as another option up top? Purely based on those numbers and knowing nothing else about him. 

Coughlan did become Charlie Adams 1st signing for Fleetwood on Wednesday..... so I assume he'll make an appearance against us today.

5 minutes ago, Rich84 said:

Coughlan did become Charlie Adams 1st signing for Fleetwood on Wednesday..... so I assume he'll make an appearance against us today.

Yeah I saw that. Hopefully he’s rubbish and my brief assessment of signing him purely based on his goal record in a farmer’s league proves nonsense.

Last thing we need is a decent striker playing in a side trying to prove themselves to the new boss, we need to splatter these and get back on a winning run.

7 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

Yeah I saw that. Hopefully he’s rubbish and my brief assessment of signing him purely based on his goal record in a farmer’s league proves nonsense.

Last thing we need is a decent striker playing in a side trying to prove themselves to the new boss, we need to splatter these and get back on a winning run.

I'm somewhat apprehensive about today - I only see possible downsides.

We should win. But of course I've thought that before.