Will Clowes patience soon run out?

old tray boy

3 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

It seems we pretty much agree.  I also don't agree with those who wanted Warne sacked after 3 games this season either, although in this instant society we have created they would argue he had most of the previous season and things have not improved but looked like it was getting worse. 

Personally I think Warne is walking on thin ice and we have to see improvement in performance and league position as we agreed - I too do not assume the points you mentioned and I really hope things tun for DC, for putting his hand in his pocket and saving our great club.  I try to put myself in DC's position - he let Rosenior go and backed his horse by bringing in Warne - as a Football chairman you more often than not have to sack a manager - so you would think financially it's all part of the plan and you hope you don't have to pay out on, but in truth I've no idea how much it would cost.   

The Warne interview after the Shrewsbury game really annoyed me - it was a very poor performance I felt we didn't deserve anything from the game - and his whole interview contradicted that, especially about all the so called chances we never took.  We should be better and we should be competing with the likes of Shrewsbury.

I sincerely hope performances improve and debates like this are confined to history. 

I still don't think that's me being entitled.

Gangway D from the terrace.

We did compete with Shrewsbury though, wasn’t a great performance but they in no way battered us to the point we didn’t look like we couldn’t compete,

I was disappointed we didn’t win and make them look like they couldn’t compete with us ,,,, different thing but that’s me taking a bit of time and balancing out my disappointment and expectations 🤷‍♂️

13 minutes ago, Kokosnuss said:

A post you went totally overboard on, considering it was nothing to do with the current Warne in/out debate but the general perception that thinking Derby County should be in the Championship or above is in and of itself 'entitled'. A continuation of the discussion about how the size of a club and other factors affects the level they're expected to be playing at.

It was also reflecting on the number of times you read people being accused of "thinking we have a divine right" to be beat this team or that team, or be in the league above (when nobody actually thinks that) as a response to any and all criticism of our individual results or current position in the table.

I agree but I'd like to think that when hiring a manager we have a sustainable business model to have factored in what it would cost to make a change if necessary.

Next summer is crucial as to where we are heading as a football club and it will be halfway through Warne’s tenure. Any remaining restrictions from the EFL will be lifted. The players we brought in post takeover will have their contracts up and the vast majority you probably wouldn’t keep due to the age profile. Whoever is in charge it’s the best opportunity to shape the squad in their image and that squad assembled correctly could be the catalyst to sustained success over the next few seasons and (hopefully) a climb back towards top end of the championship. Conversely done incorrectly with short term focus on league 1 players (if we’re still at this level) then we could be down here for years or become a L1/Championship yoyo club.

Warne is Clowes man and he will back him and think through any further decisions carefully and rationally not responding to Twitter nonsense or abuse towards the players/staff from drunk coked up so called fans. However, he’s seen the Third division to top 5 in the country rise under Cox, he’s seen the Jim Smith era, the Burley team, the McClaren team and he’s old enough to remember the glory days. He can’t have been happy with some of what he’s seeing and he absolutely wants Derby to get back to where they should be. He will not settle for mediocrity.

I think we’ve got Warne for the season whatever happens unless we see a drastic decline into the bottom reaches of the league, but I can’t see him keeping his job if we don’t go up. If it was me I’d even be questioning the Warne appointment should we go up. Is he the man to take us back to the sharp end of the championship. I’m not convinced, although I really want him to be the man to do it. 

1 hour ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Next summer is crucial as to where we are heading as a football club and it will be halfway through Warne’s tenure. Any remaining restrictions from the EFL will be lifted. The players we brought in post takeover will have their contracts up and the vast majority you probably wouldn’t keep due to the age profile. Whoever is in charge it’s the best opportunity to shape the squad in their image and that squad assembled correctly could be the catalyst to sustained success over the next few seasons and (hopefully) a climb back towards top end of the championship. Conversely done incorrectly with short term focus on league 1 players (if we’re still at this level) then we could be down here for years or become a L1/Championship yoyo club.

Warne is Clowes man and he will back him and think through any further decisions carefully and rationally not responding to Twitter nonsense or abuse towards the players/staff from drunk coked up so called fans. However, he’s seen the Third division to top 5 in the country rise under Cox, he’s seen the Jim Smith era, the Burley team, the McClaren team and he’s old enough to remember the glory days. He can’t have been happy with some of what he’s seeing and he absolutely wants Derby to get back to where they should be. He will not settle for mediocrity.

I think we’ve got Warne for the season whatever happens unless we see a drastic decline into the bottom reaches of the league, but I can’t see him keeping his job if we don’t go up. If it was me I’d even be questioning the Warne appointment should we go up. Is he the man to take us back to the sharp end of the championship. I’m not convinced, although I really want him to be the man to do it. 

Quite a few who 'gas out' Warne wouldn't want, but hey he signed them! We'll lose most if not all of our younger talent unless we go up. So if Clowes is happy for his man Warne to still be in League 1 so be it. The money is his to burn and he'll be burning lots more of it without promotion. He's got himself into an interesting pickle for sure. Him and Pearce must hold joint prayer sessions together in the hope that Warne can figure out how to use his squad to best effect! 😄

Edited by RoyMac5

1 hour ago, S8TY said:

I agree but I'd like to think that when hiring a manager we have a sustainable business model to have factored in what it would cost to make a change if necessary.

I have no idea if Warne is under any real pressure from D C. If we miss out on the play offs this season again he could be . If the cost of sacking Paul and his team was an issue, I would think Curtis Davis would come back for a small wage ( with help from Bucko and Johnson).

1 hour ago, Archied said:

We did compete with Shrewsbury though, wasn’t a great performance but they in no way battered us to the point we didn’t look like we couldn’t compete,

I was disappointed we didn’t win and make them look like they couldn’t compete with us ,,,, different thing but that’s me taking a bit of time and balancing out my disappointment and expectations 🤷‍♂️

I do agree in that it wasn’t great, I thought it was an extremely poor performance with very little fluidity or cohesion and coughing up possession without any real pressure. Warne said himself we lacked aggression - personally I thought we lacked more. I agreed they didn’t batter us but they deserved their win. 

I think we opened them up once, maybe twice in 90 minutes and Warne said if we’d been playing till Monday we probably wouldn’t have scored.

it was his other comments which annoyed, as he inferred that if we’d took our chances we’d have easily won, their keeper man of the match etc - completely disagreed with this. 

I am expecting us to go to places like Shrewsbury and give a far better account of ourselves than we did, especially with the squad we have -  Cheltenham was the same - it’s why so many questions are being asked of the management when the team puts in that kind of performance. I am one of those who is concerned. 

Maybe that’s why I could be accused of being entitled, which is what the recent posts have been debating. 

Gangway D from the terrace 

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Quite a few who 'gas out' Warne wouldn't want, but hey he signed them! We'll lose most if not all of our younger talent unless we go up. So if Clowes is happy for his man Warne to still be in League 1 so be it. The money is his to burn and he'll be burning lots more of it without promotion. He's got himself into an interesting pickle for sure. Him and Pearce must hold joint prayer sessions together in the hope that Warne can figure out how to use his squad to best effect! 😄

Except he didn’t sign them did he. A huge chunk of a restricted budget was used on players signed pre-Warne and are still here. Hourihane Collins Smith Barkhuizen NML. Point I’m making is whoever is in charge next summer is vital as it will be shaping the next few seasons. 

4 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Except he didn’t sign them did he. A huge chunk of a restricted budget was used on players signed pre-Warne and are still here. Hourihane Collins Smith Barkhuizen NML. Point I’m making is whoever is in charge next summer is vital as it will be shaping the next few seasons. 

Hourihane and Smith both used ahead of his own DM signing last night.
Collins is our most used CF this season, despite signing 3 of them in the summer
I could see an argument regarding Mendez-Laing and Barkhuizen (as wingers) being a hindrance regarding a full transition to a system with wing-backs, but no other attacking player has had more minutes on the pitch than Mendez-Laing so far this season, and despite Barkhuizen missing te first 6 games of the season through injury, he's already had more minutes than a few other attacking players.

25 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Except he didn’t sign them did he. A huge chunk of a restricted budget was used on players signed pre-Warne and are still here. Hourihane Collins Smith Barkhuizen NML. Point I’m making is whoever is in charge next summer is vital as it will be shaping the next few seasons

He signed a few old stagers was my point, his choice. Hasn't Warne been shaping the 'next few seasons'? He bought in 10 signings this season. Could have signed players in January last but 'made a mistake' and didn't.

He's shaping next season because so many of our younger players are also out of contract, Knighty wouldn't stay will the others? NML, Hourihane, Barks and even Smith are better than he's bought in.

You want it both ways, he's 'paying for' Roseniors players still but who has he bought in that's better? Waggy and Nelson?

Edited by RoyMac5

6 hours ago, ramsbottom said:

If we're having to reply of young strikers with potential isn't that what our own academy for?  I think if we'd signed a pup on loan who'd only bagged, for the sake of argument 2 in 14, our fan base would be melting down quicker than it already is. 

How can you have the best squad overall if you don't have a good forward line??!?!??!?!??!?!?!?!!!???

We do have a good forward line. Waghorn, NML, Sibley, Washington, Barkhuizen, maybe even John-Jules too, are all very good players at this level. 

Are you seriously saying there not good for this level?

6 hours ago, Tamworthram said:

Yes, entitlement is definitely the wrong word. Expectation maybe but not entitlement.

It will never happen bit theoretically, (in someone's dream world) Chester City could one day compete if they found a rich sugar daddy. Who would have thought that a team like Bournemouth with their historic fan base, stadium size and population could compete in the Premier League? Or Yeovil could make it to league 1 and even the Championship (albeit for only one season).

I'm not sure what your argument is. Are we just supposed to accept we're a L1 club now? Do you not think as a club we're underachieving as a L1 club?

2 hours ago, jimtastic56 said:

I have no idea if Warne is under any real pressure from D C. If we miss out on the play offs this season again he could be . If the cost of sacking Paul and his team was an issue, I would think Curtis Davis would come back for a small wage ( with help from Bucko and Johnson).

Think Curtis is past it now, but a great player and servant to the club 😊

2 hours ago, GangwayD said:

I do agree in that it wasn’t great, I thought it was an extremely poor performance with very little fluidity or cohesion and coughing up possession without any real pressure. Warne said himself we lacked aggression - personally I thought we lacked more. I agreed they didn’t batter us but they deserved their win. 

I think we opened them up once, maybe twice in 90 minutes and Warne said if we’d been playing till Monday we probably wouldn’t have scored.

it was his other comments which annoyed, as he inferred that if we’d took our chances we’d have easily won, their keeper man of the match etc - completely disagreed with this. 

I am expecting us to go to places like Shrewsbury and give a far better account of ourselves than we did, especially with the squad we have -  Cheltenham was the same - it’s why so many questions are being asked of the management when the team puts in that kind of performance. I am one of those who is concerned. 

Maybe that’s why I could be accused of being entitled, which is what the recent posts have been debating. 

Gangway D from the terrace 

I get some of what you say but my point was that it’s a massive exaggeration and over reaction to say we couldn’t compete with Shrewsbury, it was a competitive game between two div 1 teams who didn’t really shine , it’s fair to say it could have gone either way with both keepers and poor finishing and final ball being the dominant factor of the game 🤷🏻‍♂️

Just now, Abu Derby said:

No because in his opinion it’ll take a while to build a squad good enough for automatic promotion. Paul will be here this time next year, after embargoes are lifted. 

There are NO embargoes. Why is this continually used as an excuse. Warne has a good budget for this league, he's unlikely to get more next season if we don't go up. We'll have less income than we do now. I think Clowes realises that, hope he's got deep pockets!

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He signed a few old stagers was my point, his choice. Hasn't Warne been shaping the 'next few seasons'? He bought in 10 signings this season. Could have signed players in January last but 'made a mistake' and didn't.

He's shaping next season because so many of our younger players are also out of contract, Knighty wouldn't stay will the others? NML, Hourihane, Barks and even Smith are better than he's bought in.

You want it both ways, he's 'paying for' Roseniors players still but who has he bought in that's better? Waggy and Nelson?

Nyambe is the best fullback we have had in years , in my opinion. I also expect Ward to be very decent when fit. Everyone was singing Fornah name a couple of weeks ago until a dip in form. Others we haven’t seen enough of yet to form a proper opinion.

You talked a couple of posts back about Clowes and Pearce having prayer meetings - the only religion you know is “Warne Out”.

10 hours ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Think Curtis is past it now, but a great player and servant to the club 😊

I was thinking of Curtis as a manager, he has no experience but Rosenior seems to be learning fast . Having beaten Wazza’s new team in their own back yard. ( Was Rosenior the brains of the outfit all along ?)

14 minutes ago, On the Ram Page said:

Nyambe is the best fullback we have had in years , in my opinion. I also expect Ward to be very decent when fit. Everyone was singing Fornah name a couple of weeks ago until a dip in form. Others we haven’t seen enough of yet to form a proper opinion.

You talked a couple of posts back about Clowes and Pearce having prayer meetings - the only religion you know is “Warne Out”.

It's got quite a lot of converts too. 😄

No the only religion I know is football, not the stuff Warne tries to plays either. #COYR

Edited by RoyMac5