Derby v Carlisle (A) Match Thread

Bwash_Ram

I heard you like polls  

190 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Watched the whole game in real time then the ramsTV highlight package before posting.

Whilst they didn't create tonnes, other than hitting post and bar and force a few good saves and a couple of near misses, they dominated the game for over 60 mins.

We are unable to take control of games and maybe don't even wish to, which makes for unsettling and often tedious viewing.

If I'm spending around £80 on a day out I have expectations beyond the result.

25 minutes ago, maxjam said:

We've had an underwhelming start to the season but if we win our game in hand we'll still be in the play-offs.

Any sort of run between now and Christmas and we'll be right up there heading into the January transfer window - an attractive proposition for players and unlike last year with a bit of cash to burn.

I'm quietly confident this could yet be a good season.

While we've been far from outstanding to watch, I think our away start has been nearer to overwhelming than underwhelming. If it hadn't been for three horribly adverse refereeing decisions at Bolton we'd have been sitting now with a 100% away record.

It's at home, which really should be our fortress, that we simply have to turn things around. We've taken just 10 points in the last 10 League games at Pride Park. In their final 10 home games of last season the four relegated teams, Morecambe, MK Dons, Accrington and FGR took 15, 10, 9 and 5 points respectively, which illustrates just how bad our current home form has become.

A massive turnaround at home is required if we are to make a fist of this season.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

Whilst they didn't create tonnes, other than hitting post and bar and force a few good saves and a couple of near misses, they dominated the game for over 60 mins.

We are unable to take control of games and maybe don't even wish to, which makes for unsettling and often tedious viewing.

If I'm spending around £80 on a day out I have expectations beyond the result.

Enjoyment and entertainment are key factors for me too, a win is great but there is more to it than that for me.

2 minutes ago, Jimbo Ram said:

Enjoyment and entertainment are key factors for me too, a win is great but there is more to it than that for me.

Me too but I have now reached the stage where I am resigned to the fact that a Paul Warne team will never satisfy my appetite for watching Derby play entertaining football with the exception of an odd game here or there. So I'm just hoping now that he can repeat another of his previous miracles of winning promotion from this Division. But if he manages that, I think that if he wants to sustain the upward momentum of our club then David Clowes is going to have to think long and hard about who is going to be the manager to take us further forward. I don't want to be in the situation in which Sheffield Wednesday find themselves now.

52 minutes ago, QuitYourJibbaJivin said:

Is a 25 yarder really a chance? If JW catches the ball as he tried to rather than it going straight through him, nobody bats an eyelid. 

It's all about how close it was to a goal (following execution goalkeeping etc), in this case it was about as close as our penalty so they are more or less the same.

If we put a toddler in front of goal effectively making the team non-league most 25-yarders would be as good as goals (but shot distance/xG would think we are as good as before).

17 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Some might be pleased to hear I'm half way there. Finding the play more annoying than enjoyable, so teletext it is then. 

It is very frustrating.  After watching the Lincoln game, whilst it wasn't clearly their strongest side, we showed in patches the style I'd hope Warne wants us to play.  I went to Carlisle with those shoots of optimism and whilst delighted with the win, the style regressed again. Both teams constantly coughed up possession and neither team being good enough to capitalise. 

I'm in the minority, in that at the moment after such a tough period for the club, and especially for Clowes, the guy who has saved us, I just want to see us win.  Ultimately, if we do that for another 25 games or so we get promoted.  I can swallow this current 'style'.  

Despite Waggy's excellent start, and Collins finding the net, add in Washington, and I really believe we are nowhere near stronger in this department and we've not replaced Didzy.   Someone posted earlier saying that lets get to January and be in amongst it, hopefully with the injuries over and the style improving, we can invest in a striker (JCH) who could carry us home. 

It's a big if, but should we get promoted, then it would be a big call to axe a manager who got you there.  Not going so well for Sheff Weds.  However, unless he changes/improves then I'm not sure if Warne could take us any further. 

He has until just before Christmas for me, based on points.

My thoughts for what it's worth.

Kind Regards

Gangway D from the Terrace

9 minutes ago, GangwayD said:

It is very frustrating.  After watching the Lincoln game, whilst it wasn't clearly their strongest side, we showed in patches the style I'd hope Warne wants us to play.  I went to Carlisle with those shoots of optimism and whilst delighted with the win, the style regressed again. Both teams constantly coughed up possession and neither team being good enough to capitalise. 

I'm in the minority, in that at the moment after such a tough period for the club, and especially for Clowes, the guy who has saved us, I just want to see us win.  Ultimately, if we do that for another 25 games or so we get promoted.  I can swallow this current 'style'.  

Despite Waggy's excellent start, and Collins finding the net, add in Washington, and I really believe we are nowhere near stronger in this department and we've not replaced Didzy.   Someone posted earlier saying that lets get to January and be in amongst it, hopefully with the injuries over and the style improving, we can invest in a striker (JCH) who could carry us home. 

It's a big if, but should we get promoted, then it would be a big call to axe a manager who got you there.  Not going so well for Sheff Weds.  However, unless he changes/improves then I'm not sure if Warne could take us any further. 

He has until just before Christmas for me, based on points.

My thoughts for what it's worth.

Kind Regards

Gangway D from the Terrace

Thanks, I agree with you to the extent that I can't see Clowes replacing Warne anytime soon unless things go really badly and I don't think they will go that badly. How well they go I think depends on luck, so incontrollable! I do wonder if, now there are a bigger variety of choices with plenty of 'non-standout' players amongst the squad to choose from, whether Warne will be even less able to choose and stick with an eleven and a style. That might in itself lead to more confusion and dishearten players even more. I think we'll lose more than we gain in players by the end of the season, I cannot see our youngsters sticking out such a poor style of play.

I've just found out that Teletext has been axed and gone the same way as Ceefax. So DCFCFans updates it is then! 😄 #COYR 

1 hour ago, sage said:

Indeed. You may as well just watch the results on Final Score if that's all there is.

I think my wife would think I was a bit of a weirdo if I enjoyed and celebrated any goals we score or wins we secure whilst watching final score at home in the same way I celebrate when at the game. 😀

Edited by Tamworthram

2 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

You can't say one of their best chances was down to a howler from our keeper when our penalty was a howler by their keeper.

We were side on and quite close to both chances. The shot which Wildsmith had to deal with was travelling at tremendous velocity and that I think was what took Joe aback. I was alarmed in the split second that he didn't take the save cleanly but relieved that he was able to push it up onto the bar. If the ball had gone in, my view would have been that it would have been a goalkeeping error but I think to have called it a howler would have been very harsh. The ball was hit as hard as anything Alan Hinton or Bruce Rioch ever managed.

In respect of our penalty I think you have to give full credit to Collins for pressing the keeper from behind. The keeper didn't seem aware that Collins was there and was about to comfortably pick up the ball when Collins suddenly overtook him. The keeper then reacted as quickly as he could to try to retrieve the ball but seemed disorientated and in trying to recover the situation he took out Collins for a clear penalty.

So there you have two honest but completely different interpretations of the same two incidents. I haven't yet watched the replays on the TV highlights and I'm going on what I saw in real time.

1 hour ago, GangwayD said:

Hopefully we won't need to and we can save a bit up for a striker who may be able to make the step up to the Championship with us either next season or the one later, not sure JCH is that man.

I've said since before the season started (and I've seen nothing to change my mind) that we won't really need to replace McGoldrick's goals in terms of their sheer number (lots of those goals were superfluous in terms of us picking up points) owing to the nature of the league this season.

There aren't 3 clear and dominant favourites like last year, so all the top teams will regularly be taking points off of each other and dropping more points to teams lower down the table. Therefore, IMO,  whichever team is able to keep it tight and wring out as many points as they can from low scoring games stands the biggest chance of success. Defence wins over attack, basically. Portsmouth have already shown the value of this very well (although they can score goals too).

We've started the season in good goalscoring form tbf, because in certain games we've been ridiculously clinical  - but I don't expect it can last. I'm not expecting Waghorn to keep up the form from his first few games, Collins will have dips, Washington more of a support player, NML is older and will tire even quicker, the midfield is quite sporadic in their output, etc

Whilst I'm far from happy that we let a team who've just come up dominate such long periods of the game, something I said earlier on in the thread (sort of tongue in cheek but sort of not) was that it could at least be seen as character building. We do need to be able to win ugly; we need the defence to start believing they can keep the opposition out, keep any opposition out.

We have the defence for it, when used correctly, and If we stick with the back 4 we could really start to thrive.  If we do that and if Warne was more bothered about controlling midfield, honestly, I think we'd be a shoe-in for autos.

Edited by Kokosnuss

7 minutes ago, Brailsford Ram said:

We were side on and quite close to both chances. The shot which Wildsmith had to deal with was travelling at tremendous velocity and that I think was what took Joe aback. I was alarmed in the split second that he didn't take the save cleanly but relieved that he was able to push it up onto the bar. If the ball had gone in, my view would have been that it would have been a goalkeeping error but I think to have called it a howler would have been very harsh. The ball was hit as hard as anything Alan Hinton or Bruce Rioch ever managed.

In respect of our penalty I think you have to give full credit to Collins for pressing the keeper from behind. The keeper didn't seem aware that Collins was there and was about to comfortably pick up the ball when Collins suddenly overtook him. The keeper then reacted as quickly as he could to try to retrieve the ball but seemed disorientated and in trying to recover the situation he took out Collins for a clear penalty.

So there you have two honest but completely different interpretations of the same two incidents. I haven't yet watched the replays on the TV highlights and I'm going on what I saw in real time.

It absolutely would have been an howler. He got the technique wrong, hands too far apart for a firmly hit shot.

He didn't push it onto the bar, it was deflected there from a poor attempt at a catch.