Is expectation too high .

Curtains

19 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

We were better last season despite having an entire new squad thrown together.

It’s too early to make that assessment after 6 games!! That’s my point.

If we’re seeing performances like this later in the season and we’re not in the mix then I would probably be on the same page.

But in terms of chances created in the whole game both teams it was minimal and playing 45 mins with 10 men is a major factor, notwithstanding the first 30 mins was poor 11 v 11 which the manager himself conceded. 

If the pattern of the first 6 games continues then it won’t be a good season granted. But it’s too small a sample size and the new additions need to settle in. Let’s see where we are end of October. 

23 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

So we were awful in our play, the league is pretty ordinary and there's still lots of games to play. So why shouldn't expectation be high? I don't want another season of oh the ref's to blame, or if only that one mistake hadn't happened, etc. That will be something all the teams say.

So we have to be good enough to create enough chances to outplay teams in a wide open league with no stand out teams - it shouldn't be too much to expect.

Agree with this entirely apart from the outplaying teams bit, that’s the nice to have but not as important as getting out the divisions.

At the moment we are not but 11 new signings and 6 games in is too early to judge that this is how it’s going to be. You finish where you deserve to finish but the league isn’t over after 6 games. 

As I said above with the fixtures I think end of October we’ll have more of an idea where we’re at. If playing the same football and nowhere near top six I will be probably be more of a dissenting voice.

38 minutes ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

At the moment we are not but 11 new signings and 6 games in is too early to judge that this is how it’s going to be. You finish where you deserve to finish but the league isn’t over after 6 games

As I said above with the fixtures I think end of October we’ll have more of an idea where we’re at. If playing the same football and nowhere near top six I will be probably be more of a dissenting voice.

No, not after 6 games. But the manager has been here with a squad for more than that. It's not a great start to his 'new reign' afterall as Bradley has shown us, having your own choice of player doesn't necessarily equate with success. So a decision will be made taking all his tenure into account, and his future plans?

I think we'll have no real consistency all season, some times Warne will hit lucky with his choice of team (perhaps down to injuries) and some times we'll play a run of much poorer teams. But whether the predicted outcome will look good enough for DC, who knows.

On 05/09/2023 at 08:29, alram said:

I don’t really care if they created nothing with 71% possession… we didn’t either because we didn’t have the ball

we will not get out this league if we concede an embarrassing amount of the ball

And neither will Bolton if they have so much of it and do bugger all with it z🤷🏻‍♂️

21 hours ago, Chris_Martin said:

the penalty makes up 0.79 of the xg though, so we really only created 0.5xg according to that app. Most others had us at 1.01xg for the game so take off the 0.79 penalty, plus we never had a shot on goal outside of the penalty and it actually looks pretty bad.

You say Bolton had a lot of possesion and created barely anything, but that is generally the pattern when a team goes down to 10 men they just put everyone deep behind the ball and it's very difficult to break down.

Yes i agree the ref was bad to say the least, but not sure how you can say last year is largely irrelevant? We were better last season despite having an entire new squad thrown together.

Now i remember why I hated algebra at school

I don’t really care about outplaying teams ( though it’s nice sometimes) or out stats ing them ,I want to see us outscore them and outwork them when we don’t have the ball , people love the pretty stuff but forget the gritty stuff that has them off they’re seat and raises the ground when players bust a gut to get a tackle in and or show real fire in the belly , keep ball or get forward quicker can both look terrible if the passing and movement is off, I’ve seen us playing possession football that’s honking because the passing is off then it clicks next game and looks great then off it again next game , it really comes down to players on the day also players have to take responsibility and adjust to how the game is panning out in front of them , it’s not always all down to managers 🤷🏻‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Archied said:

I don’t really care about outplaying teams ( though it’s nice sometimes) or out stats ing them ,I want to see us outscore them and outwork them when we don’t have the ball , people love the pretty stuff but forget the gritty stuff that has them off they’re seat and raises the ground when players bust a gut to get a tackle in and or show real fire in the belly , keep ball or get forward quicker can both look terrible if the passing and movement is off, I’ve seen us playing possession football that’s honking because the passing is off then it clicks next game and looks great then off it again next game , it really comes down to players on the day also players have to take responsibility and adjust to how the game is panning out in front of them , it’s not always all down to managers 🤷🏻‍♂️

God loves a trier.

3 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

It’s too early to make that assessment after 6 games!! That’s my point.

If we’re seeing performances like this later in the season and we’re not in the mix then I would probably be on the same page.

But in terms of chances created in the whole game both teams it was minimal and playing 45 mins with 10 men is a major factor, notwithstanding the first 30 mins was poor 11 v 11 which the manager himself conceded. 

If the pattern of the first 6 games continues then it won’t be a good season granted. But it’s too small a sample size and the new additions need to settle in. Let’s see where we are end of October. 

At this point last season, we had won all three of our cup games (Mansfield and West Brom in the League Cup, Grimsby in the EFL Cup), and were 6th in the league following 3 wins, 2 draws and a loss (wins against Oxford, Barnsley and Peterborough).

So far this season, we have lost our only cup game (Blackpool), and sit 11th in the table with 3 wins and 3 losses (wins against Burton, Fleetwood and Peterborough).

In summary, we were performing better at this point last season.

4 hours ago, BramcoteRam84 said:

Agree with this entirely apart from the outplaying teams bit, that’s the nice to have but not as important as getting out the divisions.

But if we're not trying to control games in league 1, then what chance do we have if we get in the champioship. We'd just end up being  another yo-yo club like Rotherham, Peterborough, Barnsley etc

3 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

But the manager has been here with a squad for more than that.

Twelve out of twenty four* players have signed since last close season - think it's a bit harsh to suggest he's working with a steady and structured squad.

* - that's 50% for the mathematically challenged among you

3 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Current league one table:

Bolton 2nd

Derby 11th

How we rank for a few stats:
Goals conceded - 15th
Expected goals against - 10th
Tackles - 7th
Interceptions - 13th
Clearances - 9th
Dribbles - 13th
Passes - 16th
Key passes - 10th
Shots - 13th
Expected goals for - 12th

The one shining light so far, mostly thanks to a bit of Waggy magic:
Goals scored - 3rd

I think our fans can be pretty toxic. We've just come back from the abyss. We've got a decent team but so have others in the league tbh. once our team has abit of confidence and form i think we'll be flying. But they aint gonna get any confidence with us lot on their back every second of the game. 

13 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Twelve out of twenty four* players have signed since last close season - think it's a bit harsh to suggest he's working with a steady and structured squad.

* - that's 50% for the mathematically challenged among you

Minutes on the pitch it's 3974 vs 1929.
That's 67% of the minutes given to players who were at the club last season.

1 minute ago, CodnorRam said:

I think our fans can be pretty toxic. We've just come back from the abyss. We've got a decent team but so have others in the league tbh. once our team has abit of confidence and form i think we'll be flying. But they aint gonna get any confidence with us lot on their back every second of the game. 

I think our fans are pretty normal. In fact I would say better than most. They certainly are not on the teams back every second of the game. The team needs tactics they are comfortable with and that suits their skills.

35 minutes ago, Chris_Martin said:

Current league one table:

Bolton 2nd

Derby 11th

CURRENT

having played us at home against 10 men with lucky deflection a homer ref with dodgy penalties and sending off now rescinded ,

yeah them boys is ripping it up , how they going to get on when all they’re players and manager have been snapped up by prem clubs desperate for the champions league and seen the new Man City perform  😂😂😂😂

Edited by Archied