Deadline Day - Best and Worst Signings?

Mckram

Best and worst deadline day signing we’ve ever had?

Best - I think Tom Ince signed on loan on deadline day in Feb 2015 and is about as successful as we’ve been from memory!

Worst - Baningime on loan from Everton. I was reminded of it the other day and couldn’t actually remember him but it was only 2 years ago…since he moved to Hearts and has played like 20 games in 2 years. 

1 hour ago, Mckram said:

Best - I think Tom Ince signed on loan on deadline day in Feb 2015 and is about as successful as we’ve been from memory!

Worst - Baningime on loan from Everton. I was reminded of it the other day and couldn’t actually remember him but it was only 2 years ago…since he moved to Hearts and has played like 20 games in 2 years. 

Baningime was a strange one, on paper he looked like what we would need at the time but on the pitch he really could not play football at all. At least not the few times we saw him. Wonder what happened to him later in his career and wonder what Everton saw in him for so long?  

1 hour ago, Mckram said:

Ince was a poor signing in terms of how we played. Ince and Bent were the start of the decline. Not team players. 

4 minutes ago, sage said:

Ince was a poor signing in terms of how we played. Ince and Bent were the start of the decline. Not team players. 

Agreed it wasn’t a great period but I think it shows more how bad our signings have been over the last 10 years or so that he was a highlight.

I also was considering we sold him for a profit as part of being a success…because there isn’t many more of them! 

1 minute ago, Mckram said:

Agreed it wasn’t a great period but I think it shows more how bad our signings have been over the last 10 years or so that he was a highlight.

I also was considering we sold him for a profit as part of being a success…because there isn’t many more of them! 

We were 2nd when he cam and finished 8th. We then finished 5th and 9th.

Without him 3rd and sitting second. With him dropped to 8th and then went 5th and 9th. Not successful.

18 minutes ago, sage said:

He made six million so there's been worse and I thought he was very good under McLaren.  You always have that kind of player in good sides who'll get goals but aren't really a team player. Andy Cole and Van Nistlerooy at United spring to mind.  You need the rest of the team to be good enough to facilitate it, which we had for a while. He seemed to lose focus under Wassall and was disappointing against Hull when he came on for Wiemann.  That's the only period that springs to mind.

Bent turned up 20 pounds overweight and got worse.  He didn't offer a lot as his game was all about quick movement to finish and that wasn't evident when he got here as it was gone due to lack of fitness. His actual footballing ability was limited  He should have been a 25 goal striker at this level but couldn't seem arsed to shed the weight. Then he cost another 1.5 million as someone forgot his contract option.  

5 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He made six million so there's been worse and I thought he was very good under McLaren.  You always have that kind of player in good sides who'll get goals but aren't really a team player. Andy Cole and Van Nistlerooy at United spring to mind.  You need the rest of the team to be good enough to facilitate it, which we had for a while. He seemed to lose focus under Wassall and was disappointing against Hull when he came on for Wiemann.  That's the only period that springs to mind.

Bent turned up 20 pounds overweight and got worse.  He didn't offer a lot as his game was all about quick movement to finish and that wasn't evident when he got here as it was gone due to lack of fitness. His actual footballing ability was limited  He should have been a 25 goal striker at this level but couldn't seem arsed to shed the weight. Then he cost another 1.5 million as someone forgot his contract option.  

Between them they ruined the best pattern of play I've ever seen from a Derby team, gaining 130 points from 63 games.

2 hours ago, Ellafella said:

Looking I See You GIF by US Open

Did he ever actually step foot inside Pride Park? 

2 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

My brain is convinced he started in a cup game, but it seems not. He had his contract cancelled in the following January.

Cheers, Ostrich.

Played once for our U23s at PPS, an EFL Trophy game against Mansfield. I was in attendance.

Made a couple of howlers as we lost 3-2. Was never seen again.

Edited by Kokosnuss

30 minutes ago, sage said:

We were 2nd when he cam and finished 8th. We then finished 5th and 9th.

Without him 3rd and sitting second. With him dropped to 8th and then went 5th and 9th. Not successful.

I think there was a lot of issues at the club at that time and he still finished our top scorer that season and scored some important goals.

As I said not many successful deadline day signings for us but in that loan period when we got him he was. 

We've never been a club to do crazy good deals on deadline day from memory. Ince stands out I guess but it's mainly been panic loan signings who barely have a kick of the ball.

The transfer deadline day Raisak went and the day after Huddlestone got sold was horrible. What an awful mess. Slightly felt bad for Phil Brown.

First deadline I remember was the one we signed Chris Bodin from Villa. Was pretty underwhelmed and as I recall he had a career ending injury not long after

In recent times

Harvey White was pretty catastrophic. There's a player in there by all I can think is the points he cost.

Selling Plange for the fee we got and keeping him for the season was a pretty good deal

Loanees like Bamingime, Haigh, Kavanagh, Hepburn-Murphy were pretty much pointless

2016 was bonkers - for anyone saying Weale we signed Anya the same day, and let Martin go to Fulham. We did however get £10m plus for Hendrick

£10m on Butterfield and Johnson wasn't too bright in retrospect

Can't knock Thorne, Bent and Ince's impact as loanees

We haven't done bad on shifting deadwood either - Ledley, Butterfield, Tyson, Davis, Camara etc