Deadline Day - Best and Worst Signings?

Mckram

43 minutes ago, sage said:

Between them they ruined the best pattern of play I've ever seen from a Derby team, gaining 130 points from 63 games.

Each too their own. I thought Ince was a good player with goals with occasional bad days. Losing Martin For Bent and Ibe for a useless Lingaard made the difference for me.

9 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

No question about the worst. Mikkel Beck, deadline day 1999. 

Was absolutely gutted when I heard we'd signed him. 

He didn't disappoint.

Out of curiosity I just looked up deadline 1999. The biggest deal of the day also involved Derby. 

We sold Lee Carsley to Blackburn.

Talk about bad day at the office. 🤦

19 minutes ago, therealhantsram said:

He didn't disappoint.

It's rare that I watch Pointless but in the final of an episode on the other week, they were asking for names of Danish footballers who've played in the Premier League.

My immediate answer... Mikkel Beck, and he would indeed have been a Pointless answer to go with being a pointless signing. I did think however that it might be the first time Mikkel Beck could ever have actually been any use to someone.

(Jacob Laursen would also have been a jackpot winning answer)

Edited by Kokosnuss

6 hours ago, therealhantsram said:

He didn't disappoint.the worst thing about this was that I’d always said if we signed him, I’d have his name on the back of my shirt, I was sooooo wounded when he signed for us!!!!

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

He made six million so there's been worse and I thought he was very good under McLaren.  You always have that kind of player in good sides who'll get goals but aren't really a team player. Andy Cole and Van Nistlerooy at United spring to mind.  You need the rest of the team to be good enough to facilitate it, which we had for a while. He seemed to lose focus under Wassall and was disappointing against Hull when he came on for Wiemann.  That's the only period that springs to mind.

Bent turned up 20 pounds overweight and got worse.  He didn't offer a lot as his game was all about quick movement to finish and that wasn't evident when he got here as it was gone due to lack of fitness. His actual footballing ability was limited  He should have been a 25 goal striker at this level but couldn't seem arsed to shed the weight. Then he cost another 1.5 million as someone forgot his contract option.  

Ince signed on loan on or around the Jan 2015 deadline day.  He signed permanently in the Summer of 2015 after Mel’s takeover when he blew £20M+ gambling on promotion.  To be fair, Ince was one of the better deals that we did make money on.

7 hours ago, sage said:

Ince was a poor signing in terms of how we played. Ince and Bent were the start of the decline. Not team players. 

Agree with that, particularly Ince.  A frustrating player.  The amount of times he shot into row Z rather than playing someone else in who was in a better position.

50 minutes ago, FlyBritishMidland said:

Ince signed on loan on or around the Jan 2015 deadline day.  He signed permanently in the Summer of 2015 after Mel’s takeover when he blew £20M+ gambling on promotion.  To be fair, Ince was one of the better deals that we did make money on.

Agree with that, particularly Ince.  A frustrating player.  The amount of times he shot into row Z rather than playing someone else in who was in a better position.

If he played a part in us not getting promoted, then it wasn't a good financial signing either.

9 minutes ago, Mckram said:

16th Jan apparently. Although didn’t realise we paid £1.5m for him…probably felt like church change at the time. 

OK, I must've got that wrong, I'm sure i remember  depressing january deadline under Rowett because I remember i was freezing my balls off with a particually chippy window sampling crew "encouraging me" to give up on Derby County and instead support Rangers all day. For revenge I made bloody sure they dug each hand pit to 1.2m.

Edited by RadioactiveWaste