Derby County v Oxford Utd: Player Ratings

Ellafella

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) or TV (Tv viewer).

1Wildsmith

35Nelson

5Bradley

14Washington

6Cashin

23Ward

2Wilson

12Smith

23Waghorn

8Bird

4Hourihane

3Forsyth

11Méndez-Laing

20Elder

9Collins

16Thompson

11 minutes ago, Ram1988 said:

I feel it's too soon to give out ratings as I would give out too many 2 and 3's. I do however feel Waggy and Thompson where bright when they come on and surely both deserve to be in contention for Saturday.

Agree. They look hungry. Our starting XI look jaded after 10 minutes. 

Edited by Ellafella

Wildsmith.....one excellent save low to his right in the first half, a more routine but still decent one in the second. Questionable effort on first Oxford goal but it was fair old thundering..... 6

Nelson.....at fault for their first. Not sure if he'd prefer being part of a back four..... 5

Bradley.....doesn't have the excuse of adjusting to a new system like Cashin has as he played centrally in a back three at Luton. An ardent Hatters fan told me two weeks ago that Bradley's legs and confidence went whilst with them and it appears he's spot on. Their dip in form apparently coincided with his return to the side due to injuries..... 5

Washington.....offers energy and mobility and appears to make decent runs. Fluffed a glorious chance to rescue a point late on but was in the right place which, in this Derby side, is at least a start due to its rarity..... 6

Cashin..... totally unsuited to being one of three centre halves, a problem easily solved when one of the other two is yet to convince and the other is Sonny Bradley. Often exposed down their inside right channel. Did produce one excellent saving tackle. Should have seen red for an obvious pull back - itself an undisciplined act given he was already on a yellow..... 5.5

Ward.....only played a bit part before going off injured. Offered a faint semblance of a threat down our right but didn't produce a stellar cross. Only usually has one target in the box to aim for so crossing needs to be top-drawer..... 6

Wilson..... has a trick, isn't afraid to run at the opposition and has beautifully bright boots. Needs to add a final ball of quality more often although he did put in the best cross of the night which in itself wasn't saying much..... 6.5

Smith.....may find himself covering CM and RB from the bench before too long..... 5

Waghorn.....lovely first time finish should see him start on Saturday..... 7

Bird.....as unsuited by this set-up as Cashin. Our classiest midfielder and the one who we should play through where possible. Rarely has a striker running through to find with his passing ability. A much better player than he's being allowed to demonstrate alongside Smith and Hourihane in this current system and with no pace up front..... 6.5

Hourihane.....a couple of excellent deliveries from set pieces but simply doesn't dominate games as somebody with his supposed ability should be doing..... 5

Forsyth.....not at his best but maybe a return to CB in a back four would suit..... 5

Méndez-Laing.....at this stage last season NML was more often than not terrorising the opposition full backs. He now plays in a position where he can't do that. If we continue with three CB's and wing backs then he may as well play at RWB but then why bring in Ward and Wilson? ..... 5

Elder.....barely involved so a six by default really..... 6

Collins.....cut a frustrated figure tonight. The usual effort but, alas, the usual outcome..... 5

Thompson.....I've been banging the Thommo drum for a while. He offers a buzz around the midfield in a Shinniesta way and has greater technical ability than I think he gets credit for. Has to come in for Smith or possibly Hourihane and be given a chance to galvanise our listless midfield. Would possibly bring the best out of Bird too..... 6.5

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) or TV (Tv viewer).

1Wildsmith 5.5

35Nelson 5

5Bradley 4

14Washington 6

6Cashin 3

23Ward 5.5

2Wilson 5

12Smith 5

23Waghorn 6.5

8Bird 6

4Hourihane 4

3Forsyth 5

11Méndez-Laing 6

20Elder 5

9Collins 5

16Thompson 5.5

1Wildsmith 6.5 Pulled off 3 fine saves but question mark over being beaten for the first goal. 

35Nelson 5 Besmirched by the mis-placed pass for their goal and general malaise that is Derby’s defence right now. 

5Bradley 4.5 Starting to look like an habitual error-prone; 

14Washington 5.5 Fluffed the flick that could’ve done the trick to pinch a 2nd. 

6Cashin 5.5 Unlucky not to score but lucky not to have a red. Some hopeful but hopeless long balls into the long grass.

23Ward 4 Went off at 20 after a minor part.

2Wilson 6.5 Showed adventure & a willingness to have a go.

12Smith 4.5 Left no visible mark or trace on the game. Is he a hologram? We need steel and guts in the engine room. 

23Waghorn 7.5 A good shift; impacted the game and took his chance. Showed spirit and desire.

8Bird 6.5 🦅 Lost in a panoply of positional changes. Needs somebody to link with.

4Hourihane 5 Saw plenty of the ball but unable to find the sharp pass. 

3Forsyth 6 Dependable but misplaced pass.

11Méndez-Laing 6 Toiled without success.

20Elder 5.5 I couldn’t identify him in a police parade right now. 

9Collins 5.0 Bags of intent but impact is lacking.

16Thompson 7.0 Had impact; almost scored ;looked like a standout midfielder in a midfield riddled with invisibility. Should start on Saturday. 

The pattern that’s being revealed is of a defence that is error-prone, an absent midfield and an attack that has the sharpness of a butter knife. Radical surgery is required. A back four, stop trying to eradicate midfield, and return NML to his strongest position. The manager has to sort this quickly before the glum sets. 

1Wildsmith 6

35Nelson 5

5Bradley 5

14Washington 5.5

6Cashin 5.5

23Ward 5

2Wilson 6

12Smith 5

23Waghorn 7

8Bird 6.5

4Hourihane 5

3Forsyth 6

11Méndez-Laing 6

20Elder 5

9Collins 5

16Thompson 7

I'm being kind to the players because I am sure they don't go out to play that badly collectively. I see lots of effort, no shape or strategy.

1Wildsmith 6 - probably could have done better with at least the first goal, although both were good finishes. Actually looked less wobbly yesterday than in his other 2 games.

35Nelson 5.5 - first proper iffy game for me. Is being expected to pass offensively at a level he doesn't seem capable of. But even out of defence one terrible pass led directly to the chance for the first goal.

5Bradley 6 - despite his being subbed, I thought he was OK, and a threat at set-pieces. We still look better defensively with Fozzie there though, which is a bit of a worry re our "big" signing. (Pre-season is pre-season, but how come he looked so much better then?)

14Washington 6 - as Warne promised, this chap'll work hard, and he did. Harried and caused a few issues. Unfortunately he also missed a glorious chance for an equaliser.

6Cashin 6 - lucky not to have been sent off towards the end with a reckless pull for a second yellow, which is indicative of how desperate he is for the team to succeed. Unfortunately the more-often-than-not long diagonal pass of last season is still missing, replaced by the hopeful hoof.

23Ward 6 - did OK while on the pitch. I wish he would take his first few steps forward with the ball as if he actually means to race down the wing. It is immediately obvious he's coming back in-field unless he's already in an advanced position. It's a feature of our very slow game play.

2Wilson 6.5 - worked really hard and always wanting to get forward. Looks like he really needs some encouragement and I hope he gets it because the more cautious aspects of his game probably aren't worth talking about so we don't need him going into his shell!

12Smith 6 - I'd estimate 75% of his passes are to the mark and the other 25% are inexplicably bad! Put in a shift as always though. Probably saved us a goal when chasing back an Oxford attacker who was otherwise through.

23Waghorn 7 - very good goal (extra 0.5) and some quick incisive passing again. He probably has to start the next one now.

8Bird 7 - hard work and reliable passing throughout. Tried to make things happen but a frustrating night might have finished in the worst possible way for him (unless it kills any talk of a move away, in which case definitely a blessing in disguise!)

4Hourihane 5.5 - how can someone with his "quality" make a mess of a good number of set-piece opportunities? For every decent ball in there are at least 2 which are somewhere between ordinary and abject. It's not for want of trying but we should be able to expect more from him.

3Forsyth 6.5 - another solid show on the whole.

11Méndez-Laing 6 - frustrating, but I don't think it's really his fault. He does his best work on the right wing but is hardly ever there these days, and doesn't seem absolutely sure where he should be instead.

20Elder 6 - did OK when he came on a few minutes after Thompson had gone on in his position. No idea what the thinking was there unless Elder had nipped to the loo or was struggling to tie his laces. 

9Collins 5.5 - not a good night for him after Saturday's success. No effective service to him in dangerous areas, and his frustration no doubt led to the return of the Collins who naively gives defenders the fouls they're looking for to ease the pressure. 

16Thompson 6.5 - did well in his 9 minutes at LWB and better still in his half-hour in the middle. Some clever spins and touches, and even managed a shot in anger at goal. Advanced the case for a starting position and may well get it if things are as they appear with Birdie.

Edited by Guest
Reasoned I couldn't give Fozzie and Bradley the same mark!

ATG

1Wildsmith 6....some good saves. Never looks good being beaten at near post

35Nelson 5......game changing error

5Bradley 5.......strangely timid

14Washington 5.....hardly touched the ball. Probs not his fault

6Cashin 5.........not sure if he's told to bypass midfield or whether it's his choice. defensively OK but lucky to stay on.

23Ward 5.5..........didn't do much wrong. Could be a big miss for us

2Wilson 6............much better than last week. Really tried to make things happen

12Smith 5.5............thought he did OK but eventually looked confused, frustrated and worn out after umpteen formation changes

23Waghorn 6..........did OK

8Bird 6..............did OK

4Hourihane 6...........put loads of decent balls into the box. Any other team on any other day scores from at least one of those

3Forsyth 6.............did OK. One pass as bad as Nelson's but got away with it.

11Méndez-Laing 5..........involved but nothing came off for him

20Elder 5............so far looks unspectacular as LWB. Thought it was odd that Tommo came on before him at LWB 

9Collins 5............no service whatsoever

16Thompson 6.5...........played all 4 positions he was asked to play (including LWB and no 10) pretty well

Midfield were completely bypassed in first half. Second half, midfielders were dropping to pick up the ball and play it.....which was marginally better. Is this down to players or tactics? I'd like RD to ask this because it's driving me mad. Are our defenders lumping it and not using our midfield because they're told to, because of lack of options or lack of ability? Are our midfielders failing to get into the game or is our game plan to not have them in the game?

Anyone see the Jamie (Leigh Curtis) at the Telegraph gave everyone a 3 last night?

22 minutes ago, Ian Buxton's Bat said:

Anyone see the Jamie (Leigh Curtis) at the Telegraph gave everyone a 3 last night?

Except Wildsmith and the subs.

That's just silly. People talk about Warne wanting to be liked. What self-respecting journo gives everyone a 3 as if they were all, equally, that bad (including Forsyth and Bird, who clearly weren't).

1Wildsmith 6

35Nelson 5

5Bradley 5

14Washington 6

6Cashin 5

23Ward 5

2Wilson 6

12Smith 6

23Waghorn 7

8Bird 6

4Hourihane 5

3Forsyth 6

11Méndez-Laing 6

20Elder 5

9Collins 5

16Thompson 7

it is difficult to mark the players down as much as that performance deserves. To me, it is 100% down to our inept manager. The players don’t look happy with it, and at times confused about what they should be doing or where they should be. 
What does Warne think can be achieved by 3 or 4 passes then lump it to the oppositions defenders.

We have the players who can make an impact, but not the strategy. Let’s be radical and try passing to each other looking after that expensive ball. 

9 hours ago, Rampant said:

Bradley.....doesn't have the excuse of adjusting to a new system like Cashin has as he played centrally in a back three at Luton. An ardent Hatters fan told me two weeks ago that Bradley's legs and confidence went whilst with them and it appears he's spot on. Their dip in form apparently coincided with his return to the side due to injuries..... 5

Oh crap, I didn't realise he played in a back 3, it looks like a totally new concept to him. FFS did no-one watch he post-injury performances?