Derby County v Oxford Utd: Player Ratings

Ellafella

ATG. 

1Wildsmith- 6.  Distribution still

slow, should have done better with their first.  Couple of decent stops at 0-1  

35Nelson- 4. Feels like Claude Davis has returned to haunt me. Looks uncomfortable on the ball and cannot pass to save his life. Looks like a football fraud to me  

5Bradley-5. Shaky but looked much better than Nelson. Having our defensive saviour subbed early again does not bode well. 

14Washington-6. Worked hard and posed a threat. Unlucky at the death not to score. Deserves a starting chance on Saturday. 

6Cashin-5. Looks out of place in a three. Should have been sent off for a second yellow. Needs to stop attempting 40 yard passes, not in his capabilities.   

23Ward-5. Off at 25 minutes with injury. Disappointing for him.

2Wilson-6. Wanted to attack and get forward. Decent shift from him.

12Smith-5. Added nothing to a slow and lightweight midfield. Rightly subbed.

23Waghorn-7. Second excellent cameo in under a week. Has 1 assist and 1 goal in that time. Simply has to start on Saturday.

8Bird-5. Not sure if the Burton black eye affected his vision but a lacklustre showing. This midfield 3 DO NOT work well together.

4Hourihane-5. Slow and plodding. No inspiration from our captain. 

3Forsyth-6.5. Continues to give his all and players where he is shuffled to. 

11Méndez-Laing-5. Not a striker. Not a striker. NOT A STRIKER. Play him wide right. Another wasted night for NML.

20Elder-5. The fact Tommo was drafted on before him in his favoured position baffled me. 

9Collins-4. Wins 1 in 6 aerial battles. Can’t hold up play. Should have seen red for the elbow. Collins is like buying Chris Martin from Wish.com. 

16Thompson-7. Great energy and enthusiasm shown. Wanted to attack and showed we do have a midfielder who is able to get around the pitch. Deserves to start in midfield on Saturday. 

Warne-2. Outwitted at home again. Said in post match interview he considered moving to a back 4 but didn’t. Even at 0-2 we continued with this ill fitting and unwanted formation. Took his marque defensive signing off again, didn’t bring the LWB in he signed, no changes at HT despite us not being in the game at all. Continues to play NML through the middle. Baffling sub choices. 

Darren Moore seen in the stands….

If Warne perseveres with 3 at the back on Saturday and the result is negative again, not sure where we go from there. Match day 4 has become massive for us.

1 hour ago, RoyMac5 said:

Oh crap, I didn't realise he played in a back 3, it looks like a totally new concept to him. FFS did no-one watch he post-injury performances?

Neither did I tbh. It was quite the eye-opener and not in a good way.

Elsewhere, it's a no for me regarding Darren Moore. His Weds side rarely excited and their squad is/was better than ours. Absolute diamond of a man though and that's how I'd like to remember him.

On 15/08/2023 at 23:05, Ellafella said:

Half-marks allowed; please rate all subs. Closes Thursday @ 18:00. Results by Thursday 22:00. Average is 6.00. Therefore, when a sub steps on the pitch he is on 6 - that's the baseline. Also indicate ATG (at the game) or TV (Tv viewer).

1Wildsmith - 6.5 blameless for goals, two excellent saves

35Nelson - 5 awful distribution

5Bradley - 6 didn’t do too much wrong IMO

14Washington - 6 one half chance, not much else

6Cashin - 5.5 need last seasons Cashin back

23Ward - 6 looked lively before injury

2Wilson - 6.5 provided a spark

12Smith - 5 game passed him by

23Waghorn - 6.5 good goal, got to start Saturday

8Bird - 6.5 worked hard

4Hourihane - 5.5 needs to be more involved

3Forsyth - 6 good defending, poor distribution