Archie Brown

Srg

His Dad's comments are a touch ironic because a mate of mine who got talking to Archie's dad and uncle on one occasion told me they weren't happy Derby were playing him at LB.

It sounds like Archie knew what he wanted and what suited him better than anyone. I hope he goes on to even greater things.

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, sage said:

Moved to Gent for £3.4m in the summer.

It will be interesting to see who reaches the highest transfer fee from that FA Youth Cup winning side 

It was the U18 Professional Development League Title, rather than the Youth Cup, but yes, I think Archie Brown is leading the way so far.

14 minutes ago, Crewton said:

It was the U18 Professional Development League Title, rather than the Youth Cup, but yes, I think Archie Brown is leading the way so far.

That's it. 

They were our class of 92. If the rest of the club hadn't been trashed by our ridiculous recruitment, we'd have had 7 homegrown players in a top 6 championship matchday squad from that group with Ebosele, Delap, Gordon and Kellyman coming through after them.

Massive missed opportunity.

On 22/01/2024 at 08:40, sage said:

That's it. 

They were our class of 92. If the rest of the club hadn't been trashed by our ridiculous recruitment, we'd have had 7 homegrown players in a top 6 championship matchday squad from that group with Ebosele, Delap, Gordon and Kellyman coming through after them.

Massive missed opportunity.

You could field these 10 as your outfielders from all of those to have featured for the U18s that season.

Festy   Cashin   Buchanan   Archie

Knight   Bird   Thompson

Whittaker   Delap   Sibley

Edited by Ghost of Clough

33 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

You could field these 10 as your outfielders from all of those to have featured for the U18s that season.

Knight   Bird   Thompson

That's a genuinely outrageous talent pool for a Championship (at the time) club. 

Edited by DarkFruitsRam7

• 4 weeks later...
On 29/01/2024 at 15:23, Ghost of Clough said:

Knight   Bird   Thompson

Was Buchanan a regular centre half? 

From what I heard, Delap was never likely to sign a professional contract with us, but others might know better than me.

It's still an incredible pool of talent though, and I don't think the club got enough national exposure for winning the U18 title.

38 minutes ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

If he'd stayed, he'd have gone somewhere for a fiver anyway.  We must have lost about 40 million on players through admin.

He left before administration. Another one who turned down a new deal and walked out on the club who nurtured to sign for a European team so we received minimal compensation. One of the reasons given in this article is that he thought he'd get more chance of first team action - at a time when we had about 7 academy products in the first team squad.

It's worked out well for him, which is great, and a credit to him. But it leaves a bitter taste, much like Buchanan, Gordon and Delap.

https://archive.ph/20211130171732/https://theathletic.com/2666370/2021/06/23/why-derbys-young-star-archie-brown-turned-down-a-new-deal-to-go-to-switzerland/

6 hours ago, Crewton said:

He left before administration. Another one who turned down a new deal and walked out on the club who nurtured to sign for a European team so we received minimal compensation. One of the reasons given in this article is that he thought he'd get more chance of first team action - at a time when we had about 7 academy products in the first team squad.

It's worked out well for him, which is great, and a credit to him. But it leaves a bitter taste, much like Buchanan, Gordon and Delap.

https://archive.ph/20211130171732/https://theathletic.com/2666370/2021/06/23/why-derbys-young-star-archie-brown-turned-down-a-new-deal-to-go-to-switzerland/

To be fair, at the time we had Forsyth, Buchanan and Williams ahead of him at left back. He wanted a place to get more consistent first team football and it looks like his decisions are working in his favour. 

18 hours ago, roboto said:

To be fair, at the time we had Forsyth, Buchanan and Williams ahead of him at left back. He wanted a place to get more consistent first team football and it looks like his decisions are working in his favour. 

This. I remember it well.  Archie was really a wing back, at a time we played a flat back four. 

He was one of my favourites from that under 18 team, so followed his career since. It's fair to say he had to work really hard at FC Lausanne - must have been hard for a young lad in a new country - and I wondered how he'd get on at Gent but he's fitted them like a glove. 

I'm so pleased for him.

22 hours ago, roboto said:

Williams was behind Brown, but Brown probably would habe fell behind in the management's pecking order if he had stayed for an extra season.

Williams didn't play for the U23s until the 2nd half of 20/21, the same season Brown played in every game until he decided to move on. The year before, Brown had scored 11 and assisted 3 in 21 U18 games.

On 26/02/2024 at 09:23, Crewton said:

From what I heard, Delap was never likely to sign a professional contract with us, but others might know better than me.

Didn't seem to have any affinity for the club at all. Fist visit back with the MC academy side he got himself sent off after playing well, but acting like a prize whopper. Think he might have kicked Cash actually, though perhaps I've mis-remembered.