Team selection will be interesting

Curtains

Just now, duncanjwitham said:

Second half last night was what I was expecting this season to look like (early on anyway) - reasonably solid at the back, lots of running around, plenty of half-chances, but never really looking like scoring one of them.  I wouldn't exactly say it was good, but it was certainly miles better than the first half.  

And FWIW, Bird and Cashin (plus Forsyth and Waghorn), all played well and were probably our best players.

I agree!

1 minute ago, Stockyram92 said:

Okay, id have to disagree

They did the basics better, nothing more, id say they were average at best, did you honestly walk away from the game thinking "bloody hell, bird and cashin were good tonight"? 

It's all relative. Bird did well compared with the rest of the midfield, and Cashin did well compared with Bradley and Nelson.

Take the highlights in isolation:

Blackpool attack #1: Nelson initially out of position on the left side of defence, drifts towards the middle and misses a clearance, then when back on the right he fails to put the effort in to jump up and challenge for the cross resulting in the goal. Throughout all this, Bradley may as well have stood on a 1p coins since he chose not to move at all.

Blackpool attack #2: Wilson loses is, Blackpool player skips through Smith. When the shot is struck, Cashin is the only CB who has managed to sprint back to our own box. Wilson (and Elder) put everything in to chase back, which helped Vickers in his 1v1, something Bradley didn't do vs Wigan

Blackpool attack #3: long ball down field. Cashin pressing high as instructed by Warne. No idea what Elder was thinking as he heads it. Nelson didn't follow his man the whole way, otherwise he could have either intercepted Elder's header, or at least put a challenge in on the forward who scored. Bradley watching play going on all around him.

Derby attack #1: Cashin passes to Hourihane who put a hopeless cross in the box behind the goal.

Derby attack #2: Bird dribbling up the pitch, feeds Waghorn who shoots just wide of the post.

Derby attack #3: Waghorn picks up the ball in the middle, find Thompson who plays a perfectly weighted first time pass to Ward despite surrounded by 3 men. Ward feeds Washington with a through ball who shoots straight at the keeper

23 minutes ago, Wsm-ram said:

I think Hourihane being made captain just complicates the midfield picture.

Does it now make him undroppable?.

I just don't think he offers enough and is bypassed too easily.

Fine if we have high energy around him and some real grit then it becomes a different conversation.

Sadly we don't.

On the point of Hourihane being undroppable I’d say no. He was hooked at half time last night, Warne was bold enough to make that choice so I suspect he’s willing to do so from the start. I might be wrong of course.

2 minutes ago, Ghost of Clough said:

It's all relative. Bird did well compared with the rest of the midfield, and Cashin did well compared with Bradley and Nelson.

Take the highlights in isolation:

Blackpool attack #1: Nelson initially out of position on the left side of defence, drifts towards the middle and misses a clearance, then when back on the right he fails to put the effort in to jump up and challenge for the cross resulting in the goal. Throughout all this, Bradley may as well have stood on a 1p coins since he chose not to move at all.

Blackpool attack #2: Wilson loses is, Blackpool player skips through Smith. When the shot is struck, Cashin is the only CB who has managed to sprint back to our own box. Wilson (and Elder) put everything in to chase back, which helped Vickers in his 1v1, something Bradley didn't do vs Wigan

Blackpool attack #3: long ball down field. Cashin pressing high as instructed by Warne. No idea what Elder was thinking as he heads it. Nelson didn't follow his man the whole way, otherwise he could have either intercepted Elder's header, or at least put a challenge in on the forward who scored. Bradley watching play going on all around him.

Derby attack #1: Cashin passes to Hourihane who put a hopeless cross in the box behind the goal.

Derby attack #2: Bird dribbling up the pitch, feeds Waghorn who shoots just wide of the post.

Derby attack #3: Waghorn picks up the ball in the middle, find Thompson who plays a perfectly weighted first time pass to Ward despite surrounded by 3 men. Ward feeds Washington with a through ball who shoots straight at the keeper

I understand that, but when everyone else you're comparing them too were hopeless it's just not much of a measure of performance is it?  I don't think that means cashin and bird played well, they just didn't play as bad as everyone else, first half I mean  

20 minutes ago, Caerphilly Ram said:

On the point of Hourihane being undroppable I’d say no. He was hooked at half time last night, Warne was bold enough to make that choice so I suspect he’s willing to do so from the start. I might be wrong of course.

Not the first time it’s happened IIRC?

58 minutes ago, Stockyram92 said:

Okay, id have to disagree

They did the basics better, nothing more, id say they were average at best, did you honestly walk away from the game thinking "bloody hell, bird and cashin were good tonight"? 

Always gonna look better when the away team decides a two goal lead is enough and takes their foot off the gas too 

1 hour ago, Blondest Goat said:

Burton away strikes me as exactly the kind of game that Bradley was brought in for so it would be ironic if we left him out due to poor form.  I think stick with the back 3 and just drop the kamikaze tactics - at least until the side is more settled.

That's a good point and as I have mentioned elsewhere, this system may work a lot better in away games when teams are coming on to us more.

I'm certainly hoping so.

I'd play this team against Burton

Wildsmith

Wilson        Bradley      Cashin       Forsyth

Bird

Hourihane         Sibley

NML                  Waghorn            Brown

1 minute ago, Rammy03 said:

Wildsmith

Bird

Hourihane         Sibley

Brown has done nothing to start a game much as it would be a positive sometime this season.

6 minutes ago, Rammy03 said:

Wildsmith

Bird

Hourihane         Sibley

You’d drop Ward in place of brown??? 

Ward can play attacking wide right, NML can play on the left. 

Dajuane is 17 he doesn’t need to be coming into this shhht storm right now. He needs protecting and using when the time is right. 

Wildsmith

Rooney          Nelson       Cashin

Ward                                                                                   Fozzy

Hourihane         Thompson

NML

Collins                         Washington

Wasn't sure about Nelson or Bradley, but wanted Rooney in to add a bit more athleticism. Likewise NML in a free role could enable us to be a bit more aggressive, with 5 at the back he needs to reinvent himself if he wants to stay in a team with no wingers, and I'm not sure part of a front 2 is it. Also I never did like 5 at the back plus 3 holding midfielders, too negative. 

I've dropped Bradley and Bird rather arbitrarily I realise, but want to try to add a bit of ... well ... something to the team.

Bird is never a 10 or CAM so why play him there, I would play him and Hourihane in a 4231 as below

Vickers

Rooney / Smith        Nelson             Cashin                 Fozzy

Bird               Hourihane

NML                           Waggy                 Washington

Collins 

All 3 behind Collins are capable of swapping and joining in the attack to support Collins 

13 hours ago, Curtains said:

Well Warne can have no idea on his best team at the minute.

Its too early though to judge as players still being integrated 

Lots of work needed on the training ground and at least 2 more additions ie Striker and box to box midfielder.

Well yes, replacing McGoldrick and Knight.... was anyone under the illusion that it would be easy, or inexpensive? 

A big part of the problem is that there isn't a single formation where we can place all players in their preferred positions and have a balanced team.

GK: Wildsmith, Vickers, Loach
RCB: Nelson, Rooney
CB: Cashin, Bradley
LCB: - 
RB: -
LB: Forsyth, Elder
RWB: Ward, Wilson
LWB: -
DM: Bird, Smith
CM: Hourihane, LThompson
AM: Sibley
RW: Mendez-Laing, Barkhuizen
LW: -
CF: Collins, Washington, Waghorn

We lack a pacey left sided CB and an effective left wing back to play 5 at the back.
We don't have a defensively minded RB to play 4 at the back.
The midfield could be balanced when playing in the right 3 man midfield system, but would lack balance with a 2 man midfield.
We lack a top left winger or inside forward to play with wingers.
All of our CFs prefer playing in a 2, meaning any formation with 1 up top is innefective.